What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ellyse Perry

Wizardman

First Grade
I may sound like Im overdoing it....but I think Ellyse Perry is the most underpromoted sportsperson in Australia. How on Earth is a lady with her sporting record, sporting talent, media image, good speaking skills, looks and personality not plastered on our grocery boxes and newspapers and not showcased in our televised media beats the hell out of me.

She is probably the number one asset in Australian cricket yet so unrecognized by the majority of the Australian public. She is heading towards being the second most successful cricket player in our history as well.

Wizardman

First Grade
Under promoted?

She’s everywhere.

She’d easily be one of the most indentifable Aussie women’s sports stars

I disagree. I think if you asked ten people in the street who doesn't directly follow cricket who Ellyse Perry is, I think possibly three may know. Whereas, people who don't follow cricket directly would know Warner is.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I disagree. I think if you asked ten people in the street who doesn't directly follow cricket who Ellyse Perry is, I think possibly three may know. Whereas, people who don't follow cricket directly would know Warner is.

click bait media helped with non cricket people knowing who Warner is lol

She has sponsorships & commercial agreements with

Toyota
Adidas
Comm Bank
Fox Sports
Jockey
Red Bull
SCG Trust

I doubt there’s another female sportwoman in Australia with such an impressive list.

Mr Spock!

Referee
A shame we don't see more of her...

9WphYot.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Because if we are honest womens cricket is a VERY poor standard. Unwatchable really

I disagree on this point as I find it very watchable, even moreso lately as our women are just so f**king good.

I do think that indirectly you may be right, its women's cricket, just doesn't have the profile that men's cricket has.

It she was a dude in the men's team, she would be a house hold name.

Wizardman

First Grade
The general standard of womens cricket is not great, especially in the bowling department. As a batter though, Perry is head and shoulders ahead of every lady on the planet when it comes to batting. Granted that she faces inferior bowling to the male game....but every other lady still does not have her records. As someone said earlier, if a man was in as far out in front as her (Donald Bradman for example), he would be a household name. I didn't know she had as many endorsements as what a poster put up yesterday....but I still feel she is not a household name and as visible as some sportspeople with lesser sporting achievement.

I think she is an absolute gem.

Bazal

Post Whore
I disagree on this point as I find it very watchable, even moreso lately as our women are just so f**king good.

I do think that indirectly you may be right, its women's cricket, just doesn't have the profile that men's cricket has.

It she was a dude in the men's team, she would be a house hold name.

In some ways I think the best women are better to watch than a lot of the men these days. Someone like Meg Lanning or Ellyse Perry are just so good to watch. They don't muscle mis-hits to short boundaries with 19lb bats, they play proper cricket shots, find the gaps, manipulate the field just like we slam the men for not doing. Granted, there is a fair gap between the best and the worst, but that is shrinking.

It's funny, then, that so many supposed old-school fans and purists don't rate womens cricket...almost like the cricket itself isn't the reason.

Timbo

Staff member
In some ways I think the best women are better to watch than a lot of the men these days. Someone like Meg Lanning or Ellyse Perry are just so good to watch. They don't muscle mis-hits to short boundaries with 19lb bats, they play proper cricket shots, find the gaps, manipulate the field just like we slam the men for not doing. Granted, there is a fair gap between the best and the worst, but that is shrinking.

It's funny, then, that so many supposed old-school fans and purists don't rate womens cricket...almost like the cricket itself isn't the reason.

I used to do a bit of work with the GWS Giants and I had a chat to their ops manager one day about women’s sport in general. He said that the general belief is that there will shortly be a ‘lost generation’ in women’s sport.

What he meant was, that the AFLW, NRLW, WBBL, W-League, etc, all filled their ranks with the best amateur players when they turned pro. These tended to be women in the 25-30 age bracket who had been playing for a long time.

The 18-25 year olds in these codes who were playing when the sports went pro will never see a professional contract, because they are going to be blown out of the water by the younger women coming through who have the benefit of academies and training pathways from their early teens.

It will mean there will be a steep increase in quality in the next 3-5 years across all codes before it levels out to its natural standard.

We’re only seeing the beginning.

Eelectrica

Referee
Managed to catch most of the renages sixers match and enjoyed it.
Renegades will be kicing themselves as they had heaps of opportunities to win it.

Perry just too good in the end.

Sixers had their scare and should be too good in the final. Definitely planning to watch it.

Timbo

Staff member
Lol...it's ok. you don't have to like girls dude.....

Ahahaha, a gay joke! Allow me to slap my thigh for a moment!

Mate you missed your calling. You really should be writing for comedies in Hollywood.

jezmond

Juniors
Because if we are honest womens cricket is a VERY poor standard. Unwatchable really

Rubbish, I will happily watch WBBL games, to say its "unwatchable" is a ridiculous statement. The womens game is improving dramatically each and every year. The Sixers, Renegades game yesterday was a cracker of a game, better than anything in the mens BBL so far this year. Ellyse is absolutely brilliant to watch, her double hundred against England stands out as one of my favourite cricketing moments in recent years. Womens cricket is an exciting prospect which I struggle to understand why people like yourself would try to bring down.

Latest posts