What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End promotion and relegation

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why? It's only got to be enough to fund 6 clubs on a modest cap and minimal travel.
There's streaming platforms at war atm competing for content. They need content!
If the world cup in France get the exposure that's anticipated, there's going to be an appetite for more French rugby league content whether it's mainstream channels or streaming platforms certainly.

The current 9 team amateur comp plays a 12 round competition with finals.on completion:The best players are picked up by the professional clubs along with whoever else they get and play a 12 round 6 team comp
So the current comp acts as a feeder comp for the pro league.

You can't see that working?
6 teams doesn’t create much content. Realistically you’d need a cap of around 1.5-2million euros (SL is 2.5mill euro plus marquee allowance). So for say an 8 team comp that’s 12-16mill a year plus running costs of the comp. needed. French basketball has a tv deal worth 10milll euros. (18 teams)
maybe youre right and there will be renewed interest in RL in France following the 2025 RLWC, we shall see.

Tigers1986

Juniors
So Leigh canter to the championship title, losing 1 game all season. Rinse and repeat with Toulouse looking to be strong to have an immediate return to the SL and Leigh to struggle through losing a chunk of that squad as a result of the internationals quota.

TDD91

Juniors
Not quite

If a B Grade team finishes bottom of Super League and a B Grade team tops the Championship, the SL team will be relegated and the Championship team promoted.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Superleague’s best chance is England creating history and winning the RLWC for the first time ever. They have the side to actually do it. That performance against France was why they will not if they repeat it. Australia and NZ would have torn them apart this morning. This little lapses where France were getting second phase is where they have to be perfect for 80 mins. Latrell, Teddy, Munster and Cleary will smell that blood in the water a mile away.

Last edited:

Gobsmacked

Bench
Superleague’s best chance is England creating history and winning the RLWC for the first time ever. They have the side to actually do it. That performance against France was why they will not if they repeat it. Australia and NZ would have torn them apart this morning. This little lapses where France were getting second phase is where they have to be perfect for 80 mins. Latrell, Munster and Cleary will smell that blood in the water a mile away.
100% if France can put on 18 points , what will Australia or NZ do . And what will Australia and NZ let in? Not much!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Superleague’s best chance is England creating history and winning the RLWC for the first time ever. They have the side to actually do it.
All England winning the world cup would do is put them in the news for 15 minutes, after that it'd quickly be forgotten again outside of the the enclaves along the M62.

For it to have any major long term impacts RL would need infrastructure, namely clubs, that doesn't exist to already be place. In other words, even if England were to win the WC, and that were to lead to a measurable increase in interest, the vast majority of those people wouldn't live within reasonable distance of a club to support or actively participate in, and as a result the vast majority would quickly lose interest.

They're in basically the exact same predicament that RU is in here; they can pull a crowd to the Wallabies but they don't have the means to capitalise on that interest in any meaningful way.

Internationals are like junk food and the club game your staple diet; everybody loves eating junk food, but if you don't have a healthy stable diet you're either going to have stunted growth, or you're dying.

Ending promotion in the British game won't make them get any closer to Australia in Internationals, but what will is junior development in the British game and lots of it

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ending promotion in the British game won't make them get any closer to Australia in Internationals, but what will is junior development in the British game and lots of it
Totally agree, in all honesty you wouldn’t believe how dumb it is over there. As an example my club has been running a pretty succesful academy and investing quite a bit in it. RFL then did a review and decided only so many SL clubs could have an academy and my team didn’t meet the criteria! We fought the decision and eventually won and could run one. That’s how batsht crazy the RFL are!
it’s should be a requisite to be in SL you have to run an academy, not telling SL clubs they can’t!!

docbrown

Coach
Why can’t they expand to 14 teams, give 12 teams a permanent licence and open 2 spots to relegation/promotion playoffs?

Gobsmacked

Bench
Called
Geez I had hoped things would be a bit more positive. I agree with the categorie style of structure but it feels very limited with little regard for future growth, especially for French or other countries hoping to grow.
I think they need to be either a European comp with a forward look to more French clubs, Dublin, Glasgow ect or
A purely exclusive English comp.
It looks more like the later base on that graphic
It's not necessarily a bad thing but this to me means that the best path forward would be :
Catalans and Toulouse to pull their stock and bolster the French league.
It could kick off the year after the world cup 2025 at peak intrest.
They'll have the attention of broadcasters, government grants, sponsorship and fans.

2026 : 6 team professional French league initially, with licences adding aspiring clubs across Europe to eventually be a European comp.
Called it !!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
So we should watch the French league because its full of retired first graders? Thats not much of an incentive!

I used to enjoy watching the French league back in the 90's on BBC2 when Alex Murphy did the commentating. "Oh the clarets flowing now".
It was tough and at times brutal RL played in mud. Oh the good old days!

Gobsmacked

Bench
So we should watch the French league because its full of retired first graders? Thats not much of an incentive!

I used to enjoy watching the French league back in the 90's on BBC2 when Alex Murphy did the commentating. "Oh the clarets flowing now".
It was tough and at times brutal RL played in mud. Oh the good old days!
God your at twat sometimes.
It says that they are looking to a pro comp with the inclusion of Toulouse and Catalans after the world cup.
Which is what I was saying needed to happen.. and you refuted any possibility.