What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England Captain - Who?

Eddie.

Bench
Well, John Terry was sacked so who should it be? Went on to lead Chelsea to the double, however there is no going back. Capello is a strong minded manager and Terry would not command the same respect in the England dressing room as the Chelsea dressing room.

Looking at it their seems to be 4 main candidates..

Rio Ferdinand - The vice captain so in some people's opinion the obvious choice. However has had a terrible season with injury. The games he did play he looked dodgy at times. Would he be a walk up start? Probably, but not with his injury concerns. Not a clean skin off the field, stuff is in the past though.

Steven Gerrard - Has captained England in the past and has often been a inspirational captain of Liverpool. Again though, had a horror season by his own standards. Out of sorts, lacking confidence, could not rally Liverpool to muster anything this season. Was surrounded by poor players but looked like he could not be assed at times. Great player when in form.

Wayne Rooney - England's best player. Inspirational through his performances. A real worker on the pitch, always giving his all. On the down side it might be too much burden given the almost the whole country's weight seems to be on his shoulders. Has curbed his wild ways off the field, although still occasionally a hot head on the field.

Frank Lampard - Probably the outside for the role however he is coming off a great season. Experienced player who has captained Chelsea many times. A walk up start, intelligent, relative clean skin and cool headed. Excellent fitness record. Ordinary form for England for a prolonged period 3 years ago, although has been very good for club and country the last 12 months.

To my knowledge Capello has not announced a captain yet. Which way would you lean? I am biased but I don’ think Lampard would be a bad coice given his current form, his cool head and his experience. Ferdinand and Gerrard are both coming off awful seasons although they have done the job before. Rooney would be a pretty inspirational choice however do they need to burden him with the captaincy with the pressure he is already under?

I Would go for Rooney or Lampard.

fish eel

Immortal
the only care factor I have for this is which prima donna will be wearing the captains armband when they get knocked out by Australia

fish eel

Immortal
well don't leave us in suspense mr.fish

which prima donna do you hope it is?

I'd love John Terry to have to be shamed all over fleet st after crashing out to Australia ;-)

Honestly though, I dont care who their captain is. Ferdinand or Gerrard will probably get it.

Another interesting question is who will replace Ballack as German skipper??

WireMan

Bench
Rooney captain. The best player in the world.

Replace Ballack? There is that Kevin-Prince fella, he would go alright for zee Germans. As for captain, give it Lahm.

The Tank

Bench
Rio is captain...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-after-John-Terry-is-stripped-of-armband.html

ferdinand0819get_792587c.jpg

hellteam

First Grade
Should be Rooney.

God I hate Ferdinand. The way he runs at referees with that ridiculous angry look on his face when they dare to give a decision against United. I thought I could cheer for England at this World Cup, but unless Ferdinand gets injured I'll struggle

Eddie.

Bench
In fairness, Gerrard is entitled to a poor season. Liverpool were out of the running for everything by Christmas, they had a poor squad and Benitez was making bewildering decisions. Gerrard looked over it all, poor attitude for a captain however he has given everything for them over the years.

He is more then capable of great performances in big games. He has led from the front through inspirational efforts in big games for Liverpool. I agree it is a questionable choice given his efforts this season.However it could work the other way and inspire him to give everything.

westie

Bench
Are you a bit special?

Even Liverpool fans were admitting he was far below his best last year.

This is why you guys will never understand the Lampard/Gerrad debate. It's got not the slightest thing to do with his footballing ability.

Bumble

First Grade
Yes, it's about leading by example when your teams needs you, when the chips are down...

I for one, applaud his effort against Algeria. Top notch.