What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England vs West Indies 3 Test Series 2017

Bazal

Post Whore
Starts with a day nighter at Edgbaston.

England won the toss and batted, Kemar Roach has just knocked over another plod opener with a snorter.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Marais Erasmus is challenging for the worst LBW decision I've ever seen. Hits in the middle of the pad, short stride, six inches below the knee roll, in front of middle and off....Not out.

Review shows it hitting halfway up middle.

Bazal

Post Whore
All those reports of the pink Duke hooping unplayably about were obviously a little hyberbolic....

Pommy

Coach
England declared 514/8, cook got 243. Rain stopped play with the windies 44/1

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
West Indies 168 in their first innings, followed on and then rolled for 137. 19 wickets lost in one day!.

England win by an innings and 209 runs.

vvvrulz

Coach
They really don't give a stuff about test cricket do they.

We could see them at Zimbabwe's level soon, and with Ireland and Afghanistan given test status we're about to see two tiers and a massive gap between them.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They really don't give a stuff about test cricket do they.

We could see them at Zimbabwe's level soon, and with Ireland and Afghanistan given test status we're about to see two tiers and a massive gap between them.
I think we'll see 3 unofficial tiers in the near future.
Australia
England
India
South Africa
The big 3 plus SA who are usually competitive. I can see these teams playing a lot more frequently for better or worse.
Then:
Pakistan
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
These teams will play amongst each other and occasionally against the big 4 and the 'minnows'.
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Will play amongst each other the middle tier and very rarely against the big 4.

Not my ideal but the reality of where test cricket is heading.

Pommy

Coach
Wow 19 wickets in one day.
Hardly a good test leading up to the ashes.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'd rather see Pakistan and New Zealand in amongst a top 6 tier. They're both deserving.

As for the Windies, it's so sad to watch... it's been sad to watch for 17 years.

Take out Lara and Chanderpaul over the last almost two decades and I don't think there's been a quality test standard player to be found.

Pretty tragic.

Timbo

Staff member
I sincerely hope the West Indies are relegated to playing us in winter in Darwin and Cairns.

For whatever reason CA still sees them as having some sort of 'draw' despite the fact that not only are they terrible, they don't even seem to care how bad they actually are.

Give me Boxing Day against the Kiwis or Bangladesh ahead of them any day.

Bazal

Post Whore
I sincerely hope the West Indies are relegated to playing us in winter in Darwin and Cairns.

For whatever reason CA still sees them as having some sort of 'draw' despite the fact that not only are they terrible, they don't even seem to care how bad they actually are.

Give me Boxing Day against the Kiwis or Bangladesh ahead of them any day.

Shit mate give me Afghanistan, genuinely...the result will probably be similar but at least the Afghans are building to something and will fight as hard as they can all the way. With a great drawcard in Rashid Khan.

The Windies are deadset dreadful. I feel bad for guys like Roach and Cummins who I thought bowled really well without any support, and for Jason Holder who has just never been part of a settled side and just looks totally burnt out at 25 years old.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think we'll see 3 unofficial tiers in the near future.
Australia
England
India
South Africa
The big 3 plus SA who are usually competitive. I can see these teams playing a lot more frequently for better or worse.
Then:
Pakistan
New Zealand
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
These teams will play amongst each other and occasionally against the big 4 and the 'minnows'.
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Afghanistan
Will play amongst each other the middle tier and very rarely against the big 4.

Not my ideal but the reality of where test cricket is heading.

Yeah but at least it gives sides upward mobility. It might make for some boring series at the top but I can see some ripper match ups in those lower tiers for a cricket lover, and it gives middle and lower tier sides the chance to improve without coming up against a confidence shattering loss every few series. It's not 100% ideal but it's not bad either.

Timbo

Staff member
Their top six is a genuine embarassment. Not one of them would get a run for a Shield side.

Bazal

Post Whore
Roston Chase looks like he has potential. Only 11 tests but averages 44 with 3 hundreds. Pretty handy given the tripe he has to watch come and go at the other end. And he averages 47 in FC cricket from 50 odd matches so there's something to work with there.

Otherwise yeah it's a collection of fringe first class players that have fallen into a Test match side. Which ploughs the few talented ones into the dirt trying to carry the muppets surrounding them

Das Gupta

Juniors
That went quicker than I thought until I looked at the Windies line up. I don't recognise many names now.

King hit

Coach
You've got to be seriously bad to lose 19 wickets in one day. It's a tragedy how far the WI have collapsed. My dad always tells me about those epic Australia V West Indies battles when he was growing up and how great the Windies were.

Latest posts