What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England would play Australia on Christmas day in Australia to save the ashes

siv

First Grade
The 8 week 2021 RLPA enforced break means nothing could occur after Dec 7 in 2020. NRL or internationally

adamkungl

Immortal
Cross continent games are next to no chance this year, willing or not.

It's hard to see travel between Australia and Europe happening in 2020. Maybe the situation changes in 3 months or so but that seems like a slim timeframe to get the tour back on with all the green and gold tape the Kangaroos have to go through just to get on the park.
On the other hand, the chance of Aus->NZ travel opening up in August-September is pretty high.

IMO we're better off aiming/hoping for something in between Pacific nations
4 Nations Oceania Cup (AUS NZ TONGA FIJI)
and Oceania Shield (SAMOA PNG COOKS)

Coastbloke

Bench
Cross continent games are next to no chance this year, willing or not.

It's hard to see travel between Australia and Europe happening in 2020. Maybe the situation changes in 3 months or so but that seems like a slim timeframe to get the tour back on with all the green and gold tape the Kangaroos have to go through just to get on the park.
On the other hand, the chance of Aus->NZ travel opening up in August-September is pretty high.

IMO we're better off aiming/hoping for something in between Pacific nations
4 Nations Oceania Cup (AUS NZ TONGA FIJI)
and Oceania Shield (SAMOA PNG COOKS)

Agree the Ashes are gone.
If Origin can be played, surely The Oceania Cup could still go ahead (without Oz playing SOO) ? We are literally talking Oct-Nov..

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/ki...w/news-story/3bef7b90fe37fe46d0a9566f12541489

Kiwis captain Dallin Watene-Zelezniak fears the gains made in international rugby league will evaporate if Tests are not played this year.

The international game looks set to be engulfed by the coronavirus pandemic in 2020 unless a window can be negotiated straight after the NRL season is completed in late October.

NZ Rugby League boss Greg Peters is investigating the idea of playing Tests against Pacific nations in November to run concurrently with the State of Origin series.

Peters said the Tests would probably be staged in Australia, where most of the players are based, although New Zealand could play host should trans-Tasman travel be eased by that point.

His strong preference is for crowds to attend.

While there are bridges to cross, Canterbury fullback Watene-Zelezniak hasn’t given up on running out in 2020 for the world No.1-ranked Kiwis. During lockdown he has been kept updated by Peters and New Zealand coach Michael Maguire, who are hopeful the groundwork laid to give rugby league a bigger footprint last year won’t be wasted.

An annual six-nation Oceania Cup series was established while Australia had agreed to a three-Test series in England this year - their first tour since 2003 - which is now unlikely to go ahead.

“The international game’s getting big at the moment so something like this, if we don’t play, can kill that run we’re having,” Watene-Zelezniak said. “It will be awesome to get a game out, it’s the pinnacle for us. We don’t have Origin so international is the highest we can go.”

Warriors star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was equally keen to wear black this year. He said every minute together under Maguire was precious as they build towards the World Cup in England late next year.

“With the World Cup, there’s so many teams looking really strong. I’m pretty sure every international team would like to get together and start getting ready.

“Hopefully we can include it somewhere in this season.”

greenBV4

Bench
I literally groaned at that comment. Pathetic.
As much as I love origin it really is the death of international RL

Don't get me wrong I dont want origin to go anywhere, but imagine the extra focus international games would get if we didn't have it

Ive also always wondered what if NSW and QLD were international teams instead of Aus (with the potential for a "the rest" team down the line), would they be significantly easier to beat than Aus? How would they go against the likes of NZ and England?

Could also work with the seperate indigenous and Maori teams

Coastbloke

Bench
As much as I love origin it really is the death of international RL

Don't get me wrong I dont want origin to go anywhere, but imagine the extra focus international games would get if we didn't have it

Ive also always wondered what if NSW and QLD were international teams instead of Aus (with the potential for a "the rest" team down the line), would they be significantly easier to beat than Aus? How would they go against the likes of NZ and England?

Could also work with the seperate indigenous and Maori teams

I don't think Origin is the death of IRL but it's definitely a roadblock..

What's stopping IRL gaining the exposure it needs is as follows:

NRL interference
Channel Nein disinterest
RLIF gutlessness..

:shrug:♂️

greenBV4

Bench
I don't think Origin is the death of IRL but it's definitely a roadblock..

What's stopping IRL gaining the exposure it needs is as follows:

NRL interference
Channel Nein disinterest
RLIF gutlessness..

:shrug:♂️
True "death" was a bit of an exaggeration.. but as long as origin is considered the pinnacle of rugby league by the majority of fans international games will never get the attention they deserve.

The whole "Australia will win anyway" mindset from a lot of fans doesnt help either, as shown by the fact noone really knows or cares we are actually ranked number 2 right now