What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English Premierleague Results

SP

Bench
Manchseter Utd 4 Bolton 0
Arsenal 2 Everton 1
Leicester 2 Southampton 2
Blackburn 5 Wolves 1
Fulham 3 Middlesborough 2
Portsmouth 2 Aston Villa 1
Birmingham 1 Tottenham 0

GBT

Juniors
Christiano Ronaldo got a standing ovation from the OT crowd after his 30 minute stint in the second half. Listening to it on the radio, he seemed to waltz past the Bolton defence at will, delivering several pin point crosses.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Ronaldo was quite simply breathe-taking to watch. Bolton had held their own for the first 60 minutes, with a beautiful Giggs freekick the only thing seperating us. Then Ronaldo came on and absolutely ripped the defence to shreds.

He started down the left hand side, later went to the right, and then just starting popping up everywhere. With his first touch he, predictably, gave the ball away and Bolton had a good chance. But that was the one and only mistake he made for the match. He ran them ragged, winning us a penalty (which Ruud missed), making the cross which led to Giggs' second goal, and making another cross (this time from the right hand side) which Ruud should of scored from. He favours his right foot, but is better with his left than most left-footed players.

And Eric Djemba Djemba was also very impressive once he came on with about 20 minutes to go. He continued his good form from the Charity Shield (or whatever you want to call it now) and must be close to getting a starting spot ahead of Butt. Howard was also good although only really called on to make one real save, when Nolan chipped it over his head. Barthez probably wouldn't have made it, but Howard kept his cool and tipped it over the bar.

But nothing could take away from the Ronaldo show. From the moment he came on I had the biggest smile on my face which didn't disappear until I went to sleep last night (although I wouldn't be surprised if I still had it while asleep). A number of times he had me laughing he just took the p*ss out of the Bolton defence so much. At one stage I even had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. He was incredible.

Beckham who? :twisted:

Tigerpete

Juniors
this morning's results
Leeds 2-2 Newcastle
ManC 3-0 Charlton
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool

Nice to see Leeds have got some pride in the club after last night's showing, pitty that guy who wears the captains armbadn for newcstle......Shearer!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

chileman

Coach
Chelski have repayed a bit of the money back to the Russian owner in their first win...will be interesting to see how they go up against the likes of Man U and Arsenal though! Wolves are going to have a long season at the bottom of the table it appears!

Nuffs

Bench
unfortunately, i didn't get to see the Man U match but from all reports, Ronaldo was a major influence in the win

Ferguson as said that Man U will only use him sparingly for this season just to keep him on the ground...who could argue with Fergie who is one of the best Youth Team developers in the last 20 years in England

pretty predictable results for the whole weekend

my mate put $250 on Chel$ki to win 2-1 and rang me at some stupid time this morning to tell me they won...he collects $2375 from it

chileman

Coach
Nuffs said:
unfortunately, i didn't get to see the Man U match but from all reports, Ronaldo was a major influence in the win

Ferguson as said that Man U will only use him sparingly for this season just to keep him on the ground...who could argue with Fergie who is one of the best Youth Team developers in the last 20 years in England

pretty predictable results for the whole weekend

my mate put $250 on Chel$ki to win 2-1 and rang me at some stupid time this morning to tell me they won...he collects $2375 from it
Nuffs, the highlight package should be on SBS tonight at 7:30pm and no doubting they have a good slice of the United game!

Nuffs

Bench
i've got oztag starting at 7.30 and i'll get home at 8.30 :x

but i'll tape it...although i tried to tape the match when it was on live but that somehow didnt work

chileman

Coach
Well they showed a fair bit of the United game and they do look the goods this season :x unfortunately! :p

CyberKev

Staff member
Arsenal were a lot more impressive than United in getting over Everton 2-1 with 10 men. Chelsea looked okay, but for all the money they've spent, its still Cudicini in goal that gives them the most value and they would have been in dire straights early on without him. Liverpool looked stilted and ineffectual for large chunks of the game and will need to go up a couple of notches to be a genuine threat.

All the talk was around Manny U, but while they deserved the win it was an exceedingly flattering scoreline. The new guy in goal was impressive, as was young Ronaldo and Scholes is always in the thick of it. Still, one goal came from a clear offside, another one was iffy, the free kick goal was superb, but probably shouldn't have been paid in the first place. The swan diving Dutchman is the biggest single advertisement for bringing the eye in the sky into English football. There were many dodgy kicks awarded across the comp that, if anything, should have resulted in yellow cards for play acting. Its a blight on the game and needs to be policed better.

Bolton looked quite good all things considered and it was only sheer bad luck that prevented them from putting 2 goals on the board. Wolves looked depressingly bad and are in for a tortorous season and Leicester have a lot of work ahead. Aston Villa will do it hard, as will Charlton, but Portsmouth may surprise a few people and could be good enough to climb to mid table.

Newcastle were okay, but Leeds can perhaps feel a little hard done by not to get all 3 points. The best part of that game was watching Robson & Reid at the end of the game... Classy guys, and a refreshing change from the moaners (Ferguson, Wenger, Houllier) who are never averse from a me, me, me post-game moment; regardless of whether or not they win or lose.

Blackburn should have quite a strong year and Southampton will gradually click into a stronger gear, but I'm not convinced by either Fulham or Tottenham.

Birmingham? Look to have the goods to survive the drop and climb up the ladder, although I did find the decision to award Bruce a 5-year contract at this point a little odd.

Middlesbrough? Didn't wow me, but its hard to get a genuine feel first game up and I think they can still cause sides some anxious moments as the season deepens.

Nice to see the EPL back. The SBS highlights show is clearly a highlight of any viewing week. Top stuff!

CyberKev

Nuffs

Bench
CyberKev said:
All the talk was around Manny U, but while they deserved the win it was an exceedingly flattering scoreline. The new guy in goal was impressive, as was young Ronaldo and Scholes is always in the thick of it. Still, one goal came from a clear offside, another one was iffy, the free kick goal was superb, but probably shouldn't have been paid in the first place. The swan diving Dutchman is the biggest single advertisement for bringing the eye in the sky into English football. There were many dodgy kicks awarded across the comp that, if anything, should have resulted in yellow cards for play acting. Its a blight on the game and needs to be policed better.

one goal was from an offside...the other clearly onside

the free kick should have been paid but i do agree that he did make more out of it than it really was

CyberKev

Staff member
Nuffs said:
the free kick should have been paid but i do agree that he did make more out of it than it really was

When your own team is involved I guess its easier to view these decisions more generously. I'd suggest that the only reason it was paid was because he threw himself to the turf, as there was no evidence of his run being effectively impeded by the Bolton player. It happens way too often and is having an impact on too many matches. An eye in the sky directed purely at adjudicating such incidents would clean up the game immeasurably. Had Van Nistelroy known that the incident would have been looked at and that he was risking a yellow card for swan diving he'd be more inclined to stay on his feet and the free wouldn't have been paid.

There was an even worse example shown in one of the other games (although my memory of which one has alluded me at the crucial moment) where there was absolutely nothing in it, not even so much as a touch, but the player went down beautifully and his team got the penalty (and a goal). I'd also suggest that the Savage penalty for Birmingham was an utter joke, given that he precipitated things by grabbing the defender first.

Kevin

Mighty Tiger

Bench
WoooHoooo Blackburn on top of the ladder after the first week :D

Pity Everton isn't up on top with them but hey maybe in a few weeks they will be :)

Mad Dogg

Juniors
CyberKev said:
Nuffs said:
When your own team is involved I guess its easier to view these decisions more generously. I'd suggest that the only reason it was paid was because he threw himself to the turf, as there was no evidence of his run being effectively impeded by the Bolton player.
There's no doubt that Ruud made the most of it, but there was also no doubt that it was a free kick. He made a beautiful flick through and was getting behind his marker when the defender grabbed his shirt and held him back. The other defender that was covering may have got to the ball before Ruud, but then again, maybe he wouldn't have. At the end of the day, the defender held him back and that is a clear free kick.

CyberKev

Staff member
Mad Duck said:
There's no doubt that Ruud made the most of it, but there was also no doubt that it was a free kick. He made a beautiful flick through and was getting behind his marker when the defender grabbed his shirt and held him back. The other defender that was covering may have got to the ball before Ruud, but then again, maybe he wouldn't have. At the end of the day, the defender held him back and that is a clear free kick.

Hmmm... Can't help but wonder if it was the same incident but with the jumpers reversed whether or not it would have been paid. In an ultra technical sense it was there, but there was little evidence that Ruud's progress was genuinely impeded and absolutely zero evidence that the incident was sufficient for Ruud to have ended up on the turf.

Only Manny U people could argue that the free was anything other than dubious and soft. These decisions do nothing but tarnish the sport's credibility.

I would say that more than half of the frees and penalties given for these types of offences range from the unnecessary to the just plain wrong. I'm not sure if its something that's largely endemic to the EPL, as I don't seem to notice as much of it happening in Champions League games and Internationals, but its a deadset joke!

CyberKev

Mad Dogg

Juniors
There was an identical incident at the other half of the field where Bolton (or it may have been Arsenal in the Community Shield :? ) got a free kick. I had no problem with that. Of coures I got up the guy for diving (much as I'm sure Bolton fans got angry at Ruud), but if the defender grabs the shirt then he is asking for trouble.

Soft? Certainly. But why would defenders grab the shirt if it didn't actually do anything to slow the attacker?

nostalgia

Juniors
English Prem? Believe me, the 3rd Division is much more fun: who wants Arsenal/ManU/Liverpool etc when you can follow the Harriers (or even Macclesfield/Boston/Yeovil)?

nostalgia

Juniors
English Prem? Believe me, the 3rd Division is much more fun: who wants Arsenal/ManU/Liverpool etc when you can follow the Harriers (or even Macclesfield/Boston/Yeovil)?

chileman

Coach
nostalgia said:
To right nostalgia.....the Harriers in a couple of years time will take the world by storm and people will be saying "Who was Man United....never heard of them...but now the Harriers!" :p