What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Entering of a car stereo security code?

MattJ

Juniors
Hey guys, any help with this would be appreciated...

Basically, about a month ago, i changed my car battery, after reconnecting my new one, the CD player in my car locked up completely and just displayed the word "code" across the display screen, wether it was switched on or off.
After a LOT of running around and calling manufacturers, and haggling with people who wouldnt beleive i hadnt just ripped off someones car stereo, i finally have obtained the code to unlock it.

Problem is, i have no idea how to enter it, none of the station preset buttons that are supposed to be used to enter the code register anything as the whole unit is still locked. The only button that registers anything at all is the CD eject, and no other button gets any kind of reaction or response at all.

So does anyone here know how to actually enter the code? If i take it to a dealer they want to charge me $90, and as i already know the code, i'd rather save the cash.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

ozbash

Referee
it should all be in your cars service manual .

if its a factory model, eg Ford/Holden, ring a dealership.

If its a bought system, eg Sony, Panasonic etc, ring a retail outlet.

Same happened to me once with a Ford Falcon,, dealership was only too happy to help.

MattJ

Juniors
Its a clarion that comes stock in most mitsubishi vehichles from that period, the log book actually says it should have a cassette player, however after talking to most dealers and manufacturers, i have been told that the type of unit i have described came stock in most lancers that time.

The CD player doesnt have a visible model number on it anywhere.
Its in a 2001 Gli model lancer if anyone is aware of the model of Clarion cd player was being put into those cars at the time.

juanfarkall

Coach
The place you got the code from should be able to help you, otherwise email Clarion but you will probably need a model number.

MattJ

Juniors
The place you got the code from should be able to help you, otherwise email Clarion but you will probably need a model number.
I have emailed clarion without any reply, and the place i got the code from were not supposed to even give me the code, i just got lucky enough to convince a young bloke that answered the phone on my 3rd try to look it up in the system for me. If i take it to them to get it fixed its going to cost $90 i cant really spare right now.
Hmmm, i seen to have a problem for every solution, sorry to be a pain in the arse guys.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I remember having to enter a code like this on a stereo a few years back ... and I think the trick was to press & hold one particular button first (this puts the stereo into the right "mode"), and then enter the code using the station buttons.

[furrycat]

Coach
I'd tell you, but I think you just nicked this out of someone's car!

LN's answer should eb on the mark- there is usually a button or series of buttons to hold in so you can enter the pin.

MattJ

Juniors
OK, i'll give holding down a few random buttons a go for a while and see if i can get it to do anything, thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Cupid Stunt

If you haven't already solved it, look online for a few of the bigger Aus Mitsubishi forums & ask in there. If you explain it like you have here, that you have the code & you just need to know how to input it, I'm sure you will get the answers you need.

MattJ

Juniors
The problem was actually solved yesterday afternoon, thanks to the advice of LeagueNut, so thank you very much Nut.
For anyone that ever has a similar problem with a stock clarion CD player or anyone interested in general, you need to hold down the DIS/CLK button on the right hand side of the unit for about 5 seconds, then the word CODE dissapears and is replaced with a flashing 0.
You the need to use the volume + or - to cycle through the numbers and hit the DIS/CLK button to enter them. As soon as the 4th Digit in the code was entered, the system came back to life and all my old pre sets were still in place so i was cheering.
Thanks all for the advice and suggestions, your help saved me a few $$$, and my longer trips are bearable again.
Thanks again all

Matt

Latest posts