1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

ESPN's guide to NRL for NFL fans

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Grapple, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Grapple

Grapple Bench

Pretty darn accurate. Gave me a good laugh for the warriors comparison. Storm the most obvious.

https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_/id/28928723/nfl-fans-which-nrl-team-support

2. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP First Grade

Lucky for 2010 or the saints would be perfect for the bills fans

blue bags and axl rose like this.
  3. Cactus

Cactus Juniors

Media Companies/Conglomerates are like hookers.

Not knockin. Just sayin. The road ahead can be interesting.

blue bags likes this.
  4. Sonny83

Sonny83 Juniors

not sure who's the hookers here, the NRL or ESPN...

blue bags likes this.
  5. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

I just posted this in the other thread, but it suits this one too

----------
    It isnt for the Americans, this is a clever little reversal for us....

If the title was was telling us which NFL team to follow, we would collectively respond with "yeh, alright". This one is meant to get us excited "Awww, the Americans are interested in our little game. Hey, I wonder which one is my team".

It is clever, but the giveaway is that they only cover the 16 NRL clubs. They dont cover all 32 NFL teams...

blue bags and Grapple like this.
  6. Silent Knight

Silent Knight First Grade

Well there you go. From now on I’m Silent Bill.

GreenMachine121 and blue bags like this.
  7. roofromoz

roofromoz Bench

Is there a bogan way to say Baltimore Ravens? Asking for a friend.

blue bags likes this.
  8. ReddFelon

ReddFelon Juniors

Comparing Manly to Philly and Easts to Dallas is dumb. Manly are Dallas, Easts are more accurately Kansas City.

blue bags likes this.
  9. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Browns got kicked out of the comp and later revived only to suck even more. They also have ugly colours and a terrible logo. Souffs.

49ers-Eels. Glory days were when Sterlo didn't look like a creature from Lord of the Rings and the Apple Lisa was being released.

Philadelphia fans are a large base of ethnic minorities. Just like the good old days of 'family fun' on the hill at Belmore.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    blue bags likes this.
  10. The Marshall

The Marshall Juniors

Comparing Roosters to Dallas is ridiculous. The Cowboys haven't even been in the equivalent of a NRL prelim since 1995!

blue bags likes this.
  11. unforgiven

unforgiven Bench

Yeah its a bit lazy, it would be like comparing Souths and Dallas because of "Pride of the League" and "America's Team"

I follow both the Wests Tigers and the Cincinnati Bengals and the similarities always amaze me. I am a former Balmain fan so excuse me going back and making comparisons with them for the purpose of this thread.

Now on the surface the Tigers logo is an obvious similarity but it is much deeper than that. Both teams finished runners up in the season 1988 and 1989 Balmain lost to Canterbury and Canberra in the Grand Final and the Bengals lost both Superbowls to the 49ers. The 90's were just shit for both teams with the only finals appearance being the Tigers in 1990 finals and the Bengals in 1991. The rest of the decade was completely forgettable for both teams.

Both teams stormed back into the post seasons in 2005 with the Wests Tigers winning the premiership and the Bengals being in top form until a serious knee injury to quarterback Carson Palmer. The 2010's were fairly successful for the Bengals with sustained playoff appearances (6 in a row) but never got past the 1st round of playoffs (they actually haven't won a playoff game since that 1991 playoff appearance). That is so similar to the Tigers repeated 9th place finishes lol.

Tigers have the NRL record for longest finals drought the Bengals own for the longest since a playoff win! Personality wise the teams are just so similar, strong attacking weapons but have mostly lacked the starch needed to compete with the big boys.

There I have people The Wests Tigers and the Cincinnati Bengals are in fact the long lost twin of the sporting world! Hell their colours are even the same so I'd say they are identical twins!

12. blue bags

blue bags Bench

BUFFALO BILLS lost 4 superbowls 1990,1991,1992,1993 in a row,
    in a total heartbreaking run
    no other team has ever played in 4 superbowls in row
    and still waiting for there 1st superbowl win
    BILLS playoff record from that time
    big time chokers or big time stumblers, 12 wins, 12 big loses

what NRL team can u relate this too ?

13. Grapple

Grapple Bench

Canberra.

blue bags likes this.
  14. GreenMachine121

GreenMachine121 Bench

Better than buffalo bill

blue bags likes this.
  15. blue bags

blue bags Bench

why would you think canberra raiders, i was thinking another team was suited

16. unforgiven

unforgiven Bench

The Dragons

blue bags likes this.
  17. taste2taste

taste2taste Juniors

Is the NRL shown in the USA ?
    I remember being in a bar in New Orleans about 5 years ago and they had the NRL on...no idea what channel it was.

Last week they were talking about ESPN showing NRL, did anything come of that?

T-Boon and blue bags like this.
  18. Lemon Squash

Lemon Squash First Grade

ESPN will want their money back after the garbage that was dished up yesterday.

T-Boon and blue bags like this.
  19. emesssea

emesssea Juniors

Its shown on a channel called Fox Soccer Plus... which most people don't know much about. While Fox has both the rights to the NRL and AFL, it looks like they are only moving AFL games to their main sports channel (2 games last night, 1 game tonight) and ESPN.com is following suit by showing AFL scores on their main page.

blue bags likes this.
  20. gerg

gerg Juniors

When I was over there a few years ago they showed a few games at the start of the year and then replaced it sporadically with AFL games. Terrible timeslot of course and no replays in decent timeslots and it was when Rupert was pushing for AFL over NRL.

blue bags likes this.