What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euan Aitken

possm

Coach
Unfortunately like his admirer he's hit his ceiling......there's nothing more that can be produced, so the pair should be off to the park competition where they will excell

Maybe Widdop can find a place for Aitken in his ESL team. Oh yes, maybe Widdop's ESL team is looking for a water boy - no application form needed Mary, you're a certainty.

Walpole

Juniors
The unfortunate thing for Euan is that once he hit first grade his coaching stopped. Same thing happened to Mitch Rein. They were good enough to make the top grade on natural ability but once teams knew who they were and they had to face up to the rigours of weekly NRL they didn't have the right training/support to improve.

getsmarty

Immortal
The unfortunate thing for Euan is that once he hit first grade his coaching stopped. Same thing happened to Mitch Rein. They were good enough to make the top grade on natural ability but once teams knew who they were and they had to face up to the rigours of weekly NRL they didn't have the right training/support to improve.

Correct...an considering our coach was an ex -Australian centre...makes it even more cringe -worthy.

Who’s really ‘cracking under pressure?’: Stats expose Dragons centre Euan Aitken’s hypocrisy
Broncos
  • March 27, 2019 2:12pm
  • by Staff Writers with AAP
  • Source: AAP
a77a567f2625c2a3142fded3965c0a35

Euan Aitken’s Dragons have struggled to defend without two Origin stars.Source: Getty Images
Dragons centre Euan Aitken has come out swinging before his side meets the Broncos, suggesting their halves have a tendency to crack under pressure.

But after an 0-2 start to the season and a defence that’s leaking points through Aitken’s side of the field, is he really in a position to throw stones?

Aitken took aim at the oft-maligned pairing of Kodi Nikorima and Anthony Milford as the two sides meet at the site of last year’s 48-18 elimination final demolition by the Dragons.

Round 3
“When they are put under pressure, especially their halves, they can sometimes crack,” Aitken said.

“What is important to us is to start well and weather the storm early from their young and exciting forwards.

“If we get the jump on them we can lead from the front really well.”

Aitken’s right-edge has been a turnstile after the Dragons lost their defensive cornerstone back rowers in Tyson Frizell (injury) and Jack de Belin (stood down).

It seems the Dragons have enough problems in their own backyard to be taking potshots at a side that won by 19 points last round.

c149c1e6b0132da70916f43d702fbef1

The Rabbitohs made a meal of the Dragons’ defensive right edge last week.Source: Getty Images
Aitken in particular was burned by opposite number Braidon Burns in South Sydney’s second-half onslaught in round two. Burns torched Aitkens for 166 metres and four tackle-breaks. Aitken committed an error, conceded a penalty and missed two tackles in the loss.

It’s important to note that defence is a team effort, and to blame Aitken on the Dragons’ woes would be unfair. It is curious though to hear him accusing opposition players of cracking under pressure a week after his own side capitulated to the tune of 28 points in the second half to a Rabbitohs side that tore through his side of the field.

It comes after former Broncos half Ben Hunt said he looked forward to facing his old friends in Brisbane.

But he cautioned his teammate against taking the halves too lightly.

“You can get up and put pressure on Milford but he can make you look like a fool and step around you,” Hunt said.

“The best way to limit him is defend together in a line and limit his opportunities.”

In two games since Hunt left the Broncos for the Dragons, he enjoys a 2-0 record.

“He is a weapon we will have to contain.” Broncos back-rower Alex Glenn was quick to pinpoint the Dragons’ danger man - his niggling mate Hunt.

“I know he thrives when he plays against the Broncos,” he laughed. “It’s always about bragging rights to see who gets one up on each other, this week will be no different.

“We have to make sure we don’t show Hunty too much space otherwise he will take those opportunities.

“He’s got a great running game and backs himself to get through a hole. That will be a big focus for us.” The Dragons have begun their season with two losses while the Broncos are riding high after thumping North Queensland 29-10 last round.

- with AAP

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...a/news-story/235df5894c84319f373b11e076f5e648
As if we don't have enough to worry about in this clash.
Now Aitkin has probably given Milford in particular, enough motivation to tear us apart.
Sounds like McGregor is mentoring him...not as a centre but as a media personality!!
God give me strength.

Last edited:

Dragons 09

Juniors
I actually felt embarrassed for Aitken when i watched his comments. You could tell he was nervous as all shite and words were just cascading out of his mouth before his brain was processing what he was actually saying. I've seen it many times before when someone is put on the spot, if they are not confident public speakers or at least old hands at dealing with the media, they just blurt relentlessly and what comes out of their mouth is what has been programmed into them (obviously their halves deficiencies have been a focus point at training throughout the week), but without the fluency and context of a more seasoned professional. The coaching staff need to do a better job to shield these less articulate players from situations like this. He will need to be on his game tonight and not let Bird and Oats run riot or he will be the medias bitch for the next week.

possm

Coach
I actually felt embarrassed for Aitken when i watched his comments. You could tell he was nervous as all shite and words were just cascading out of his mouth before his brain was processing what he was actually saying. I've seen it many times before when someone is put on the spot, if they are not confident public speakers or at least old hands at dealing with the media, they just blurt relentlessly and what comes out of their mouth is what has been programmed into them (obviously their halves deficiencies have been a focus point at training throughout the week), but without the fluency and context of a more seasoned professional. The coaching staff need to do a better job to shield these less articulate players from situations like this. He will need to be on his game tonight and not let Bird and Oats run riot or he will be the medias bitch for the next week.

You may have hit the nail on the head. Aitken's brain is a bit slow thus the reason that he comes up with thin air when he runs up and in leaving his winger in no-mans land.

LINESPEED

Juniors
As if we don't have enough to worry about in this clash.
Now Aitkin has probably given Milford in particular, enough motivation to tear us apart.
Sounds like McGregor is mentoring him...not as a centre but as a media personality!!
God give me strength.

Yes Dennis - it would seem Waterboy’s had the 2 Chosen Ones around for a quiet bbq?

Because all 3 of them have hit the media lately.

Oh that’s right - attack is the best form of defence lol

....as you’re losing traction & going down

LINESPEED

Juniors
You may have hit the nail on the head. Aitken's brain is a bit slow thus the reason that he comes up with thin air when he runs up and in leaving his winger in no-mans land.

It’s called osmosis.

He’s been around Waterboy so long that he’s absorbed his sh*t, personality & even looks FFS

Really - it’s time for a change son.

I know you do your best, but you’re messing up selections & holding up the future at the Dragons

getsmarty

Immortal
Aitken's personal challenge against close mate
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 28 Mar 2019, 10:13 AM

Euan Aitken is no stranger to knuckling down in defence averaging over 15 tackles a game last year despite playing on the flanks.

But tonight his defensive capabilities will be put to the test marking up against NSW Blues livewire and junior teammate, Jack Bird. Aitken and Bird came through the Dragons junior ranks together and have played under the same jersey on numerous occasions becoming close friends in the process.

And Aitken says he can't wait to take the field on Thursday night with his former teammate standing opposite him.

“I love coming up against the best players it always makes me play better,” Aitken said.

“I’m looking forward to the battle with birdy (Jack Bird).

“Having that year off gave him a lot of rest and gave him a chance to get his injuries right.

“It seems like he’s doing fine and it seems like a good matchup for me and I can’t wait."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor, also knows bird personally having coached the versatile player through the juniors.

And McGregor knows the pair will be fired up wanting to get bragging rights over each other.

“Jack is a very good footballer,” McGregor said.

“He can play multiple positions and will be playing left centre on Thursday.

“Him and Euan played right through the juniors together so they’ll make it personal that’s for sure.”

While Aitken fights out a battle with his close mate, the battle for the two competition points will take centre stage as the Dragons hope to open their 2019 campaign.

And the key for the Dragons will be starting strong and putting the Broncos halves under pressure according to Aitken.

“If we get the jump on them we can lead from the front really well,” Aitken said.

“When they are put under pressure, especially their halves, they can sometimes crack.

“What is important to us is to start well and weather the storm early from their young and exciting forwards.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/03/28/aitkens-personal-challenge-against-close-mate/

Latest posts