What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Europa League

Ridders

Coach
Some great games today.

Fulham beat Juventus 4-1 and hence win 5-4 on aggregate.

Valencia and Werder Bremen play out a 4-4 draw; Even on aggregate (5-5) but Valencia win on away goals.

Ridders

Coach
Speaking of great, The Kunster with a double so far against Sporting \\\\:D/

Atletico up 2-1

Ridders

Coach
That Dempsey goal was nice.

Juventus were never the same after Cannavaro got sent off (wrongfully imo)

Ridders

Coach
Atletico advance on away goals after a 2-2 draw with Sporting.

Aguero ftw. Pity he doesn't play with this effort all the time.

weasel

First Grade
Aguero's second goal was f**king awesome (from 48 seconds):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Mfw0_VVwY

Glad to see Valencia advance... 4-4 pretty much sums up our current state, outside of Barcelona, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Real Madrid, the attacking talent we've got in our team now is up there with just about any other team in Europe, but our defence firkin sucks. Bremen got a totally non-existent penalty to draw the home leg, so we should have won this tie anyway.

Ridders

Coach
whaaaaat???? i didnt bother watching coz i thought Juve had it in the bag. f**k

That's what I thought when Trezeguet scored in the 2nd minute.

Anderlecht also beat Hamburg 4-3 (lost 5-6 on aggregate).

It's was raining goals in the Europa League games today.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
Good to see Liverpool get up, and the Fulham result proves yet again to those doubters that the English Premier League is the best league in the world.

Would you class Fulham as a small cub? I'd say the past 2 years have been awesome for Fulham.
There's talk here that Bobby Zamora might have played himself into World Cup contenation.

I hope Liverpool don't draw Fulham today. I'd like to see them both progress.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Good to see Liverpool get up, and the Fulham result proves yet again to those doubters that the English Premier League is the best league in the world.

Inter beats Chelsea, Juve beats Fulham, Roma beats Fulham, Fiorentina beats Liverpool home and away, but Man Utd beats Milan and Fulham beats Juve so that means Serie A is dead and English league is the best in the world. Snigger.

Why this dick-measuring about leagues? The strength of them is very much cyclical, and people judging it on a handful of games are idiots. That said, the fact a team like Fulham can get near Juve is a sign of strength in the EPL's upper-mid-table region this past year. And Juve have been absolutely terrible this year.

The Italian league cops a battering from all and sundry every week when it actually isnt as bad as others would have you believe. (most who don't even watch it). It definitely isnt what it used to be (from mid 80s to late 90s) but its still a top three league and one that has a surprising amount of depth in the lower/mid table teams.

As an avid Serie A watcher, the biggest problem is the lack of ambition, with very old and traditional ways that essentially are being left behind. As an example, Roma doesn't even have an English version of the website. That is pig headed arrogance.

A good start would be building new stadia, which in turn will improve attendances and maybe give some of the smaller clubs a little bit more money to attract better players.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
A good start would be building new stadia, which in turn will improve attendances and maybe give some of the smaller clubs a little bit more money to attract better players.
Can't see it happening. The Italian government (and Italian people in general to be honest) are too set in their ways to spend that much money, time and effort on building new stadiums. It'll take something pretty damn big to kick-start things.

Italy is in danger of losing their fourth qualifying spot for the CL to Germany, but I doubt that'll be enough.