What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Even if we get the spoon, we're not as bad as...

Tooooks

Bench
Being a 'glass half-full' kind of guy (at least I try to be), as bad as we've been (and I do think we'll lose against the Titans and collect the spoon), I've been trying to look at the positives.

While no one wants to 'win' the wooden spoon, at the end of the day, it's not the worst thing in the world and if we do get the spoon, it's still nowhere close to the worst season I've seen. In 1991, we finished second last. In 1992 we avoided the spoon only because the Gold Coast were stripped of two points. But our worst season (in my lifetime) was 1995, where we finished 19th (of 20) with just 3 wins. Some of the losses that year were embarrassing:

40 - 18 (Souths)
40 - 4 (Auckland)
56 - 6 (St George)
50 - 12 (Raiders)
60 - 14 (Broncos - after leading 14-6 at halftime)
36 - 4 (Norths)
52 - 12 (Illawarra)
48 - 18 (Sharks)
+ several others where we conceded 30+ points.

That was the 9th year of a 10 year stretch of massive fail, where we didn't make the finals and didn't even come close. We will never go through a worse period than that again, but we will occasionally have years like this. Anyone who followed the Eels through that decade will remember celebrating ANY win, no matter how ugly or if it was against the worst team.

This season, we have competed - and could've beaten - Manly x 2, Storm, Broncos, Bulldogs, Penrith, Roosters etc. With a fairly poor quality roster, we've shown that we can compete with the best, but just lack the killer punch (and possibly some mental toughness).

It's been a depressing year, but compared to the 87-96 years, it ain't so bad. Here's hoping for a win against the Titans and a much better '12. :)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
My perfect scenario would be for us to narrowly beat the titans, and Canberra to get flogged by 33+ and pick up the spoon.

Canberra have recruited well for next season I believe.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think Canberra has recruited anyone for next year.

Another option for Canberra to get the spoon is for the Titans to win on Monday and then lose to us on Saturday.

If Canberra then lose to the Bulldogs on Sunday they'll finish last.

Eels Dude

Coach
The Raiders have been without their 3 best players for the majority of the year. Once they get them back they should improve next year.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I don't think Canberra has recruited anyone for next year.

Another option for Canberra to get the spoon is for the Titans to win on Monday and then lose to us on Saturday.

If Canberra then lose to the Bulldogs on Sunday they'll finish last.

That's a bit risky having to hope the Bulldogs beat the Raiders for us to avoid the spoon.

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
Not only that but we'd have to cheer on the Bulldogs. I don't know what's worse, finishing last or having to go for the Dogs.
How about cheering for Manly or Brisbane to beat Melbourne in the Grand Final?

Eels Dude

Coach
I was at that game. f**king terrible.

I didn't want anyone to win.

Yeah the Bulldogs still profiting from rorting and the Roosters at the time being the most arrogant side in history meant I couldn't get even slightly interested in that match. It's games like that where you take pleasure at who loses as opposed to taking joy in who wins.