What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Every Club's Real Cap Worth

Between this and SuperCoach valuations who really knows … be great if they just published the salaries like the nba / nfl does …. But ehhhh who really cares sure doesn’t make a difference to my life

super_coach

First Grade
Bottom line, some teams are forced to pay a premium to attract players so there cap has less buying power than the better sides. This can be for geographical reason or can be perceived success or lack of success of a club. For example a team like the Tigers are probably having to pay 30% more for their meat and potato style player and 50% more to attract a marquee player.

Thats why the salary cap will never work even if everyone played by the cap rules. Not sure what’s the answer, I have suggested other alternatives in the past that have been howled down.

Its a issue the NRL must address as we are fast approaching the EPL where the same three teams fight it out every year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bottom line, some teams are forced to pay a premium to attract players so there cap has less buying power than the better sides. This can be for geographical reason or can be perceived success or lack of success of a club. For example a team like the Tigers are probably having to pay 30% more for their meat and potato style player and 50% more to attract a marquee player.

Thats why the salary cap will never work even if everyone played by the cap rules. Not sure what’s the answer, I have suggested other alternatives in the past that have been howled down.

Its a issue the NRL must address as we are fast approaching the EPL where the same three teams fight it out every year.
Whilst we've had some teams consistently make the top 4 we've also had lots of variety in the last ten years. Out of the 16 clubs 11 of them have made the top 4 in the last decade. Three clubs have dominated the top 4 in last decade. Storm 9/10 years is pretty amazing.
In terms of top 4 finishes:
Storm (9)
Roosters (7)
Rabbits (6)
Manly (4)
Panthers (3)
Broncos (2)
Cowboys (2)
Raiders (2)
Sharks (2)
Eels (2)

Last edited:

Saxon

Bench
The media has been pushing the aussie Harry Grant is better than kiwi Brandon Smith agenda for the past couple years. It's an absolute joke. Smith is considerably better. Grant is overrated.
Yeah, nah.
Grant's an out and out hooker in the modern style. He's getting better all the time and if he can get past these injuries will be the QLD number nine for the next 10 years.
Smith is a blockbusting lock who can play at dummy half.

As a Storm fan I'd rather have Harry.

Colk

First Grade
Whilst we've had some teams consistently make the top 4 we've also had lots of variety in the last ten years. Out of the 16 clubs 11 of them have made the top 4 in the last decade. Three clubs have dominated the top 4 in last decade. Storm 9/10 years is pretty amazing.
In terms of top 4 finishes:
Storm (9)
Roosters (7)
Rabbits (6)
Manly (4)
Panthers (3)
Broncos (2)
Cowboys (2)
Raiders (2)
Sharks (2)
Eels (2)

Whilst I agree that the salary cap had worked, as soon as you allow third party agreements as well as game sponsorships, the idea of a salary cap has then been compromised.

You either the need to take third party sponsorships off the table (for example you could still nominate players for marquee payments but instead have the NRL pay the marquee top up instead of this nebulous corporate sponsorship thing) or you have to put in some sort of counter measure to offset the benefits that certain clubs are enjoying under the current system (points systems, development fees etc)

I think you either have a points system (which would be very hard to implement but impossible to break from a cheating perspective) or you can pick a marquee or max contract for 1-2 players, which is topped up by the NRL. If they are developed in house then you can claim a discount on that in the cap, if they are bought from another club then the full amount is counted.

Smug Panther

First Grade

One of those 3 teams must be Brisbane right?

Colk

First Grade
The salary cap was designed with one thing in mind, to prevent clubs spending themselves into bankruptcy by signing players. If you think it was an equalisation measure, then you are fooling yourselves.

However you wish to describe it, that is an equalisation measure.

Colk

First Grade
The cap works fine you sooks. Fmd if you think otherwise you have no idea

Tell us how it is working rather than just saying that it does? Also, you can have a debate about things without resorting to calling people who disagree with you sooks or that they have no idea.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Tell us how it is working rather than just saying that it does? Also, you can have a debate about things without resorting to calling people who disagree with you sooks or that they have no idea.
No one has gone broke. Penrith just lost a heap of talent after winning the comp

soc123_au

Staff member
The salary cap was designed with one thing in mind, to prevent clubs spending themselves into bankruptcy by signing players. If you think it was an equalisation measure, then you are fooling yourselves.
Pretty much this. The media like to trot it out as something thats function is evening up the comp. I dont think any of them seriously believe that though. It does help disperse talent, but that is a secondary function and it will never be a true leveller.

Colk

First Grade
No one has gone broke. Penrith just lost a heap of talent after winning the comp

Well not necessarily, see Newcastle, Gold Coast and Cronulla over the last ten years.

Your club has for sure, mainly because of your location and lack of access to third parties. Certain other clubs don’t seem to have the same problem though. Good on Penrith though I hope it doesn’t derail you in the medium to long term, although I have seen the same with other development clubs like Newcastle and Canberra in the past where you have great periods but fall massively.

The biggest thing wrong with the competition is not the amount of talent (although that’s a slight concern); it is the division of talent. It is probably the worst it has been since the Super League days.

Colk

First Grade
Pretty much this. The media like to trot it out as something thats function is evening up the comp. I dont think any of them seriously believe that though. It does help disperse talent, but that is a secondary function and it will never be a true leveller.

Whilst you are right about the fact that there will never a true leveller, the point is that the competition has been incredibly mismatched over the last couple of years and the trend is getting worse.

Whilst it may be a secondary function, although I would say that at the very least it would show indirectly that it is an equalisation measure, if the game itself becomes less competitive, than that will eventually lead to less interest and support in the game. The game is competing with other sports as an entertainment product.

Canard

Immortal
The last two seasons in particular is the first time I can remember since the 98 and 99 "merger years" where the majority of games were not contests.

That's not good for the long term future of the comp.

Colk

First Grade
The last two seasons in particular is the first time I can remember since the 98 and 99 "merger years" where the majority of games were not contests.

That's not good for the long term future of the comp.

Exactly. It has been getting back to the days when we had Western Suburbs getting flogged by 50 every week.

The salary cap has functioned ok in the past (it has prevented most clubs from going broke) but that doesn’t mean that you can’t improve things

soc123_au

Staff member
Whilst you are right about the fact that there will never a true leveller, the point is that the competition has been incredibly mismatched over the last couple of years and the trend is getting worse.

Whilst it may be a secondary function, although I would say that at the very least it would show indirectly that it is an equalisation measure, if the game itself becomes less competitive, than that will eventually lead to less interest and support in the game. The game is competing with other sports as an entertainment product.
Some clubs are run professionally, others are old boys clubs with no idea. Nathan Cleary and Chad Townsend are on similar money. Salary cap isn't fixing clubs making those recruiting decisions. Dogs are paying Flanno Jnr 500k to vacuum Gus's Camry.

Short of having the NRL putting all players in a pool then making teams out of them and allocating them to different clubs, you will never get an even spread of talent. Even then the ones that land in the better setups will still come out on top.

The clubs need to get better. Some seem to be taking steps in the right direction, others not so much.

Latest posts