What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone Has Their Price...Bennett to Knights

Loudstrat

Coach
So what if it was all about the money? He needs to have enough put away so that when he's dead, his son can be looked after. I'd like to see any of us knock back a payday like this.

Yep it's a huge fear for parents with disabled kids, he can set his son up for life with this deal. People said that he'd go back to Brisbane to be with his family, well if you ask me he's taking the huge dollars in Newcastle for his kid.

What a load of crap. If you have a disabled kid, you need multi millions left to hem so they could survive? And if so, who manages the money for them?

Many people have disabled kids who are looked after regardless of what is left to them.

I am amazed that no one mentioned Bennett's denial of money being the motivating factor. "If it was about money I'd be staying here" he said of the Dragons. Unless Doust paid him $2 million per year (which he wasn't), then Bennet is full of sh*t.

Good luck to Newcastle (or Souths). Buit $2 million for a coach in charge of 25 players worth $4.5 million - you'd want to be undefeated.......

Cletus

First Grade
What a load of crap. If you have a disabled kid, you need multi millions left to hem so they could survive? And if so, who manages the money for them?

Many people have disabled kids who are looked after regardless of what is left to them.

I am amazed that no one mentioned Bennett's denial of money being the motivating factor. "If it was about money I'd be staying here" he said of the Dragons. Unless Doust paid him $2 million per year (which he wasn't), then Bennet is full of sh*t.

Good luck to Newcastle (or Souths). Buit $2 million for a coach in charge of 25 players worth $4.5 million - you'd want to be undefeated.......

I work with disabled adults, there is a massive list to get a place and bennetts kid wouldn't qualify were I work. Maybe at a non gov, but there are plenty of people out there who have to look after their own kid, with the money he's getting he can set up a trust fund, buy his kid a house and get some paid support for him.

Spot On

Coach

I've laughed at anyone who has said Bennett is not motivated by money. He is not coaching for free. I also laugh at anyone thinking Bennett needs this particular deal to sure up his and his family's financial future. The bloke has been on hundreds of thousands of dollars for 20 years. He is not short of quid. However, the Tinkler deal is massive compared to what every other club can offer. This is too much to turn down and I will be suprised if he goes elsewhere. That said, if he ends up at South we all know the coin will be very, very good compared to what he would have received in the past. Either way, the bloke is in for the biggest pay day in rugby league history.

As far as being undefeated due to the amount of dollars for the coach compared to the squad of 25, I couldn't care less what happens under Bennett as long as he has major in put into what Tinkler is trying to set up in Newcastle. Getting the best systems and structures up and running at the Knights and in the local comp and surrounding areas as well as identifying, nuturing and keeping the top junior talent is a must and who better than Bennett to have imput into this. That for me is worth 2 mill a season if it means keeping this club at the fore of player talent and having the resources to be a powerhouse every year into the future.

P.S. A premiership would also be nice :D

Guvner

First Grade
He will do wonders for the club and the area. A Premiership? Who knows. But he will be able to build something in Newcastle he never could have at Souths. Put some real infrastructure in place down to their juniors like he did with us. Going to Souths would have been a mercenary move. It would have been a shame if he went there.

Danish

Referee
I'm confused by this thread....

Are the knights some sort of satan club which Bennett will have sold his soul to if he goes there? Is Bennett coaching the knights some sort of taboo which should not occur??

I don't get why him choosing the knights requires snide comments about every man having their price. If he goes to the knights he'll have picked the best club to suit his requirements (money, a decent roster, and a chance at a premiership with a 3rd club). Can't see why it is a bad thing

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm confused by this thread....

Are the knights some sort of satan club which Bennett will have sold his soul to if he goes there? Is Bennett coaching the knights some sort of taboo which should not occur??

I don't get why him choosing the knights requires snide comments about every man having their price. If he goes to the knights he'll have picked the best club to suit his requirements (money, a decent roster, and a chance at a premiership with a 3rd club). Can't see why it is a bad thing
It comes with the territory. You're no longer paupers, you're one of the big boys so you'll have more critics.

And it's not that it's a taboo. But there are clubs that have never won a premiership in their history, others who haven't won in decades, there's plenty of talent on a lot of underacheiving teams. But if reports are true (and that's highly debateable given their record) he'll have chosen your club simply because you were offering him as much as twice the next highest bid (and that next highest bid would also be an NRL record).

Do you really think the Knights would have a shot if their offer was equal to Souths/Cowboys/Warriors/Raiders?

perverse

Referee
i think kmav is just on a roll today, Danish. the only people who should actually care if Bennett goes one way or the other are obviously the fans of the respective clubs. i don't even think many Knights fans will lose too much sleep if he doesn't come our way... Stone and our squad are developing very nicely together.

Wato

Juniors
It comes with the territory. You're no longer paupers, you're one of the big boys so you'll have more critics.

And it's not that it's a taboo. But there are clubs that have never won a premiership in their history, others who haven't won in decades, there's plenty of talent on a lot of underacheiving teams. But if reports are true (and that's highly debateable given their record) he'll have chosen your club simply because you were offering him as much as twice the next highest bid (and that next highest bid would also be an NRL record).

Do you really think the Knights would have a shot if their offer was equal to Souths/Cowboys/Warriors/Raiders?

His a Roosters supporter not a Knights supporter being a Souths fan I would of thought you would know the difference.

Yep it's a huge fear for parents with disabled kids, he can set his son up for life with this deal. People said that he'd go back to Brisbane to be with his family, well if you ask me he's taking the huge dollars in Newcastle for his kid.

lol the $10m he received from the Brisbane Mafia to keep him as their coach wasn't enough? This isn't Bennett going from a struggling Queensland Cup coach for 20 years to the big time ffs.

Wato

Juniors
Is it just me or is Bunniesman trying to move this Souths hate onto Newcastle? Souths probably need Bennentt more considering they seem to have a recruitment policy of taking there strike center off the biggest Loser. I guess it creates a chance for a good third party deal.

BM1979

Juniors
lol the $10m he received from the Brisbane Mafia to keep him as their coach wasn't enough? This isn't Bennett going from a struggling Queensland Cup coach for 20 years to the big time ffs.

I didn't know Darius needed setting up , he is doing quite well on his own isn't he

BunniesMan

Immortal
Is it just me or is Bunniesman trying to move this Souths hate onto Newcastle? Souths probably need Bennentt more considering they seem to have a recruitment policy of taking there strike center off the biggest Loser. I guess it creates a chance for a good third party deal.
I'm not trying to push any hate onto anyone. I don't control how anyone else but me feels.

And yes I totally agree that we need him more than Newcastle. You have a coach who by the sounds of it is a pretty good coach who knows what he's doing.

We don't have that now, and as of now we have literally noone for next year. We're the ones with a massive hole in that position while the Knights have a good plan B, much like the Broncos.

And our situation, with our roster, is just crying out for a coach like Bennett.

Wato

Juniors
I'm not trying to push any hate onto anyone. I don't control how anyone else but me feels.

And yes I totally agree that we need him more than Newcastle. You have a coach who by the sounds of it is a pretty good coach who knows what he's doing.

We don't have that now, and as of now we have literally noone for next year. We're the ones with a massive hole in that position while the Knights have a good plan B, much like the Broncos.

And our situation, with our roster, is just crying out for a coach like Bennett.

Yea but Bennentt can not change the fact of who is signed up already. We will make you a deal if we get Bennentt you can have Ben Rogers and Shannon McDonnell as a consolation prize.

Danish

Referee

I'm a roosters fan genius.

Just stating that Bennett coaching the Knights is no worse than him coaching anywhere else. Take money out of the equation and they are a perfectly good team for him to work his magic with, with the ability to get than magical premiership in the time frame required.

If he were 5 years younger and happy to be paid in piles of blonde skanks I'm sure he'd have chosen the Sharks instead, but thats not the way the world works and so of course the added coin at the knights is going to be a factor.