What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-Warriors NRL performance thread

TheDMC

Bench
Was watching Brad Abbey with interest in the Dogs v Broncos match last night and thought it might be worthwhile having a thread where we can track how our ex warriors are going.

Abbey was excellent last night in the rain. Was in great position defensively at the back and cleaned up superbly. Lots of wet skiddy ball coming his way from kicks. Was active in attack, coming into dummy half and playing great support always ready for an offload or inside ball. Which in the second half happened and his aggressive support play netted him his maiden try (off a nice run by Josh Jackson). He threw one dodgy pass but other than that was one of the top players on the field. Well done young man. A ten times better full back than Tui it seems. Raymond FM only came on for the last 2 mins, not sure why he didn't get on earlier.

I like keeping an eye on Hurrell too. Last week against the Cowboys he was a mixed bag - tries hard and still loves running full noise but still makes dumb mistakes and defensive errors. Although still runs hard he doesn't seem to break tackles like he used to for us. No great loss in my opinion (though i was a big fan for awhile).

WellsNZ

Juniors
Abbey was great, particularly in such horrid conditions, he hadn't shone too brightly in his previous outings (though I don't think had been as bad as some had painted him out to be) and the Dogs had been all through the news with the Des under pressure stories etc, was very impressed with his performance. He did have some monstrous forward efforts to help him. He could have easily had a bigger night, ran a lot of good lines where he looked a threat to punch through if the guys he was running off had went inside to him or been able to free up an offload for him.

To turn in such a dependable effort in those conditions was a big testament to him.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
dane neilson
Jeremy latimore
james Maloney
sam Tomkins
faitala mariner
bukeya
townsend
j wright
paasi
lewis brown

am I forgetting anyone?

TheDMC

Bench
Matagi

probably a bunch more too

Laumape doing very well at 2nd five for the Hurricanes too.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I remember an article s while back that analysed the number of first grade players each clubs toyota cup side produced. We were number one by some margin.

jaseg

Juniors
+
Siliva Havili
Peta Hiku
Sosaia Feki
Konrad Hurrell
Jeff Robson
Suaia Matagi
Manu Mau (actually I think he was technically only a Vulcan)
Pita Godinet
Siosuia Taukeiaho

Leber

Bench
The main one that sticks out for me is Feki. Would have really liked to keep him.

Looking at these lists, I cant think of any of those players that would have greatly helped us.

jaseg

Juniors
SST definitely would have (that whole thing still pisses me off), but that's about it as far as slam dunks (him + Laumape really). I would've liked to see Abraham Papalii perhaps too - and we had the opportunity to bring him back for this year but passed. Shame, really... could've played the low-minute role Ligi Sao currently is (but been much, much better at it) and wouldn't have cost anything above the minimum surely.

Manu Mau would've stopped us spending the big money on Hoffman, but who knows if he would've been as effective? Anyway, there was some visa thing that was out of our control I believe?

Godinet maybe, in certain lean years.

Paasi yes-ish, but totally understandable that we let him go - couldn't find a place for him at the time.

Feki would've been handy (maybe Hiku too) - but Laumape was the big one for outside backs. Had huge wraps on him, easily the best centre we've produced at the club... and looked it immediately when he hit first grade. Hell, as a rookie his support inside made Manu look like a defensive master, and he had plenty on the ball too. Shame he had a kid elsewhere.

Rich102

Staff member
Newcastle Knights player and former New Zealand Warrior David Bhana was carried from the field after suffering a suspected broken leg.

Bhana was playing in the Intrust Premiership on Saturday at Lottoland against the Blacktown Workers when disaster struck.

Only moments after coming on to the field in the second half the 24-year-old fell awkwardly in the tackle hyper-extending his left leg.

Shocking video of the incident shows the lock-forward picking the ball up from dummy half and taking the ball into the defensive line.

As Bhana reaches the first defender he is spun around so he is facing his only try line.

While backing into the line, the weight of opposition player Dean Parata lands directly on top of Bhana's left knee forcing him into an awkward looking splits position.
T
he former New Zealand Warriors player doesn't attempt to stand and sits with the injured leg placed out in front of him.

As Blacktown player Jamil Hopoate exits the tackle he looks back at Bhana and puts his hands to his head and walks away not wanting to look back at the horrific injury.

The commentator can be heard saying 'I think we've got a very serious injury here' as trainers rush to Bhana's aid.

The match was stopped for 10 minutes as doctors assessed Bhana and a medicab assisted him from the field.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11839405

TheDMC

Bench
Hurrell was pretty good against the Sharks. Ran hard all game and made great meters (150+). Had some great involvement in some broken field play.

Would have been one of the titan's best except messed up a play the ball coming out of trouble and missed a tackle that lead to a try.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Hurrell folds former NSW halfback Hodkinson to force a turnover and then makes sure that the Titans would score off his huge hit by scoring himself! And some wonder why the Titans think of Hurrell as on of their best backs! Its obvious if you know league.