What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exactly why the NRL is still amateur

saint.nick

Coach
We have this rule where teams are relying on their f**king primary school ball boy to correctly give the ball back after a 40/20. What kind of professional organisation places that much responsibility, and that amount of vulnerability to nasty fan scrutiny from the sideline, on a ten year old kid?

It's seriously been amateur hour for the NRL recently. Caught with their pants down about player compensation payments...Simon Dwyer...ball boys costing teams a top 8 berth...

krispyredv

Juniors
Its ridiculous, should have been play on. Rules like these need either be immediate play on or scrap the quick tap altogether. Too many grey areas in the rules

pinkmoon

Juniors
This is what happens when you let a newspaper run the game (yes I know we have an independent commission, but the precedence was set a long time ago). Because of News Limited and their approach to covering the game, we now have:

*a revolving door of different rules every year
*a new referees boss every one to two years
*players signing for opposing teams over a season in advance
*players taking dives
*players pissing in their own mouths
*players in depression clinics
*contract sagas
*mid season transfers
*a judiciary with no clue
*referees with no clue
*video referee poking their nose in

When I was a boy in the 90's, the paper gave you the final score, the try scorers, and a review of the match; the end. Now, they scrutinise every element of the game to nth degree, including the personal lives of the players to create drama and aspersion, and ultimately a story. The NRL wilt under the pressure of constant negativity in the media, and go about making changes. So many changes have been made, that the game has lost its identity. The fans, players, and coaches, don't know whether they're coming or going, and it's such a shame. We HAD a great product, but it's being destroyed by complexity. It's a simple game, and it's a fallible game. It will never be perfect, but that's the beauty of it. The constant pursuit for perfection is what's put us in the position in the first place. If it aint broke, don't fix it; too many f**king rules.

I've been half way out the door since they banned the shoulder charge to be honest; yet again a politically correct reaction to negative press.

TheRev

First Grade
All aspects of the Quick Tap just need to be simplied, its getting better, but most of the time the attacking player is away, then called back.. its too huge a momentum shift to be decided like that.

In the case of the 40/20 (which is rare), I think they can just get rid of the Quick Tap option, you're already on their try line, let the poor buggers get back onside and avoid situations like tonight.

GT0007

Juniors
All aspects of the Quick Tap just need to be simplied, its getting better, but most of the time the attacking player is away, then called back.. its too huge a momentum shift to be decided like that.

In the case of the 40/20 (which is rare), I think they can just get rid of the Quick Tap option, you're already on their try line, let the poor buggers get back onside and avoid situations like tonight.

My opinion from the beginning is that a 40/20 is reward enough on its own without giving a quick tap. The other thing is if the rules are too complex for the players to understand then the quick tap has to go. More often then not the refs look for a reason to call it back and to call it back cos the ball boy didn't put the ball on the sideline is an u acceptable rule.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sad thing is if the ref awarded a try then we would not be talking about it. I can't see the media blowing up saying it should have not stood because the ballboy should have placed the ball on the line. Ref should have honestly used common sense here.

saintzrule

Juniors
Sad thing is if the ref awarded a try then we would not be talking about it. I can't see the media blowing up saying it should have not stood because the ballboy should have placed the ball on the line. Ref should have honestly used common sense here.
Well said. A piece of individual brilliance not rewarded

cleary89

Coach
One, he didn't tap it on the correct spot. Two, he hardly even tapped it with his knee, let alone his foot.

St Tangles

Bench
Would of been called back for 2 other reasons anyway.
Sandow did not tap the ball with his foot and he did not take it in the right spot.
There has been consistancy in this rule as they have stopped other sides taking the quick tap for the same reason.
In my opinion getting the ball back from a 40/20 is reward enough no need for a quick tap rule for this one.

kit66

Bench
This is what happens when you let a newspaper run the game (yes I know we have an independent commission, but the precedence was set a long time ago). Because of News Limited and their approach to covering the game, we now have:

*players taking dives
*contract sagas
*mid season transfers
*referees with no clue

When I was a boy in the 90's, the paper gave you the final score, the try scorers, and a review of the match; the end. Now, they scrutinise every element of the game to nth degree, including the personal lives of the players to create drama and aspersion, and ultimately a story. The NRL wilt under the pressure of constant negativity in the media, and go about making changes. So many changes have been made, that the game has lost its identity. The fans, players, and coaches, don't know whether they're coming or going, and it's such a shame. We HAD a great product, but it's being destroyed by complexity. It's a simple game, and it's a fallible game. It will never be perfect, but that's the beauty of it. The constant pursuit for perfection is what's put us in the position in the first place. If it aint broke, don't fix it; too many f**king rules.

I've been half way out the door since they banned the shoulder charge to be honest; yet again a politically correct reaction to negative press.

Have to agree here, you're spot on. I don't read the Tele and refuse to subscribe but check their headlines online occasionally and their NRL news is always negative. People like Gus and Hadley too want to leave their mark because they're so arrogant and full of themselves.
I turned the volume down last night because Gus wouldn't shut up about the frigging ball boy, it just destroyed what was up until then an exciting finish to the game. These gimmicky plays are confusing everyone and annoying the hell out of me. The 40 / 20 isn't too bad but throwing in a quick tap is ridiculous, in fact any quick tap is an unfair advantage and the refs know it, that's why they pull so many up.

kit66

Bench

No-one thought that was a legit try, no-one. From the moment he tapped and ran and well before he dived for the line everyone knew it was going to be called back, Sandow included. The new rule should be scrapped immediately along with all other quick taps. They're an embarrassment to the game. Imagine some fans from another codes watching and seeing that our players, refs, commentators and fans don't even know or understand our own rules. Better to clean it up.

FlameThrower

Bench

*players taking dives
*contract sagas
*mid season transfers
*referees with no clue

Well said....

jenninga

First Grade
We have this rule where teams are relying on their f**king primary school ball boy to correctly give the ball back after a 40/20. What kind of professional organisation places that much responsibility, and that amount of vulnerability to nasty fan scrutiny from the sideline, on a ten year old kid?

It's seriously been amateur hour for the NRL recently. Caught with their pants down about player compensation payments...Simon Dwyer...ball boys costing teams a top 8 berth...

Scrums,banning shoulder chargers,soft lifting penalties the list goes on.The main reason crowds are declining or not increasing is squarely the blame of the NRL ,they are so worried about the image of the game,but the bruteness of the game is what made it the greatest game of all.It's becoming a bore at times .
Forcing games at ANZ is another ,thurs,friday,again next thurs again,with teams playing a similar style these days it is becoming monotonous.
Whoever gave the go ahead for this stupid 40/20 change should be sacked.A scrum inside the 20 is likely to lead to a try eventually anyway.

jenninga

First Grade

*players taking dives
*contract sagas
*mid season transfers
*referees with no clue

I'm with you mate,since Super League the game has never recovered and these gossip columnists they call journo's are a joke.
Just have to look at the old games they are showing on Fox from the 80's and 90's,played in front of packed grounds.

FlameThrower

Bench
What I find amazing is Chanel 9 and Telegraph rely on game for money, advertising and viewer/reader numbers, but constantly bag it at the same time. Gould is a fool and embarrassing with his comments, not just on Club games but big events like Origin that go out to wider and global audience. Gould, Rabs etc, need to shut up about crap and constant bagging the game and demanding more rule changes and just call the game FFS!! Fox guys are also starting to get that way as well....

64 Dragon

Coach
And stop the commentators calling the players by their first names. Greg, Cam, Billy, Sam, Cooper, Darren, Jarred, Robbie, they sound like they are talking about their best mates.

FlameThrower

Bench
And stop the commentators calling the players by their first names. Greg, Cam, Billy, Sam, Cooper, Darren, Jarred, Robbie, they sound like they are talking about their best mates.
...and the refs, who call players by 'nicknames' and all!!!

saint.nick

Coach
...and the refs, who call players by 'nicknames' and all!!!

The fact that Cameron Smith is allowed to stand there and deliver monologues to referees after penalities (which he now isn't allowed to do) is another reason why refs are amateur. And how about the Semi no-try last night when his foot obviously slid into touch before he got close to planting the ball down? The linesman was actually crouching down about a metre from what was happening, and yet he didn't even raise his flag after his foot went out! The linesmen are just as bad as the on-field referees!

Given that most commentators are groomed to become celebrities - their egos get in the way of objective and relevant commentary. I don't hear professional commentators in the EPL or Tour de France for example carry on with so much banter and injokes - and worst of all each commentator being so self- opinionated!

Just call the game for goodness sake!