What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

expansion of NSW Cup

Just want to get thoughts on this.. I've submitted an expansion plan for the NSW Cup that could probably even generate more interest in the competition.. the lower tiers of the NRL should really be a priority for the new commission.

Just a look at the possible teams;

Blue Mountains
Central Coast
Illawarra Steelers
Melbourne
Central NSW
North Sydney Bears
NZ Vulcans
Riverina
Sydney City Jets
Windsor Wolves
Western Suburbs Magpies

perhaps even Canberra or a Fijian side could fit in there as well, this could also revive Country Rugby League.. Bathurst and NZ provide tough conditions and road trips. The competition could also be an option for struggling NRL clubs to fall back on. Also the possible rivalries - Blue Mountains v Windsor, Central Coast vs North Sydney etc.. I don't think the NSW Cup can get any better then that and has to catch up to its QLD counterparts!! :D

Dogs Of War

Coach
Would too many teams dilute the talent thus making that level much weaker especially if a club isn't affiliated with a nrl side? I think so.

I believe if done correctly and slow and steady steps will be the way forward, perhaps next year Manly and Wyong should make way for the Central Coast (Sea Eagles?) and Blue Mountains (Panthers). The first step must be taken and once these clubs kick off it could generate the interest and funds that is much needed for the Country Rugby League to survive.. taking the baby steps with the NRL clubs feeding teams until clubs become able to support themselves. The comp would still remain at around 12/13 teams.

murraymob

Coach
the blue mountains is already part of penrith junior system .While a big area in mass not so in population.Windsor also is part of penrith and will not be in the nsw cup next year

the blue mountains is already part of penrith junior system .While a big area in mass not so in population.Windsor also is part of penrith and will not be in the nsw cup next year

yes, your right no need for Windsor.. just the Blue Mountains Panthers, half home games in Bathurst the others in Penrith. I also suggest the Raiders enter a team out of the Riverina.

Diesel

Referee
The Vulcans are no more, the Warriors have taken their place.

NSW has some good opportunities however it's just concentrated on the same areas and hasn't shown any real growth. What happen to the Storm feeder team that was going to be based in country Victoria?

Titanic

First Grade
I think that Samoa and/or Tonga and/or Fiji and/or Cook Islands should be considered too.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Would rather see Wests Rosellas play instead of Newcastle Knights.

I don't really see the point in NRL franchises fielding teams under their own names...

I thought this was how we avoided losing the traditional teams like Balmain, etc

magpie4ever

First Grade
I think that Samoa and/or Tonga and/or Fiji and/or Cook Islands should be considered too.

Seriously, where is the money coming from to afford these ventures. These are small third world island states.

These dreams are so far out there, they are not even in the pipe dream category.

Sydney City Jets? Wtf is that shit

NSW Cup is already poorer for not having tradition teams like Balmain and Western Suburbs don't ruin it with bullshit like Riverina and Blue Mountains ffs

magpie4ever

First Grade
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=255229 better for them to play in NSW Cup as they have NZ which will be closer for them.. wouldn't be bad for the seasoned players as well coming back from injury and getting to spend some time in Fiji.

Seems like a good news story without any detail.

Let's face it the expense would or could not be justified.

Just look at an example of the travel expense, only. Let's say a squad of 30 players and officials are required to travel to Australia, 10 times per year. Say a discount return airfare is provided at $400 per person, that equals 30 * 10 * 400 = $120,000 in external travel costs add internal travel, accomodation, food plus incidential costs before player payments.

Seriously, it is not realistic in a 3rd world island state. As said, it is pie-in-the-sky stuff.

How many regional and country teams (without NRL club support) have joined the NSW and Ron Massey Cup only to fall over after a year or two?

seems you guys are right without any NRL clubs support it is highly unlikely the best that can be done for now is try and bring back teams like Balmain and the Magpies, and leaving teams such as Newtown who are proud traditional teams. Albury Thunder would have been great, Bathurst and Central Coast would be capable with NRL club support. But the expansion should be a goal for at least 2018.

magpie4ever

First Grade
seems you guys are right without any NRL clubs support it is highly unlikely the best that can be done for now is try and bring back teams like Balmain and the Magpies, and leaving teams such as Newtown who are proud traditional teams. Albury Thunder would have been great, Bathurst and Central Coast would be capable with NRL club support. But the expansion should be a goal for at least 2018.

I agree, maybe an NRL sponsored regional and country cup involving a series of games between the old group teams.

I would also like to see a standalone Central Coast Bears' team enter the NSW Cup as a stand alone entity.

KAB

Juniors
I heard rumour the bulldogs (NRL) will also be linked with the Wyong Roos as well as have their own nsw cup side. Plus all the juniors. This maybe a rumour ...has any one else heard this ??

siv

First Grade
Until NRL field a desperate Reserve Grade NSW Cup will continue to be be a poor atempt at a State Cupn

Latest posts