What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion report

So from that map aside from the Bronco's, Titans should we have a NRL team in Moreton, Redland, Logan and Ipswich for the future or I'm I barking.
What it says to me is the Gold Coast has a lot of New South Welshmen living in it. If they decide to raise their children on the Gold Coast then there's a chance their kids might support the Titans, but this is all hypothetical and will take another 20 or so years to bear any fruit.

Out of Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay and Redlands, only Logan and Moreton Bay have enough people to support a team. Moreton Bay has 425k people and Logan has 326k. Ipswich has 213k and Redlands has 156k.

Maybe the Titans should look at becoming the South Queensland Titans, based on the Gold Coast but representing Ipswich, Logan and the Scenic Rim.

Dolphins could enter as Moreton Bay Dolphins and represent Moreton Bay, Redlands and the bayside suburbs of Brisbane.

Might be just me, but it looks like that map is just arguing against Redcliffe being the expansion team.

I mean - if the majority of Moreton Bay residents are currently supporting existing Queensland NRL clubs, then obviously the current set of Queensland NRL clubs serves that area well enough, yeah?

Ipswich, on the other hand..... well, a new NRL club that appeals to there may capture that 38% that support interstate teams...

The worrying thing is the GC population is split 50-50 between supporting their own team/other Queensland teams & some interstate club.
The only way I can see the Dolphins convincing RL fans in Moreton Bay Region to support them over the Broncos and Cowboys is by playing their games in Moreton Bay, but that would require the Queensland Gov to build a new stadium.

In my opinion, the Firehawks are the only team that stands a chance of developing a strong fanbase as a full-time tennant of Lang Park. They'll appeal to eastern suburbs of Brisbane, Logan and potentially Redlands. Jets will appeal to Ipswich, but the Broncos have a strong supporter base out there.

flippikat

Bench
In my opinion, the Firehawks are the only team that stands a chance of developing a strong fanbase as a full-time tennant of Lang Park. They'll appeal to eastern suburbs of Brisbane, Logan and potentially Redlands. Jets will appeal to Ipswich, but the Broncos have a strong supporter base out there.
Yeah, I'm coming round to that idea too.

Despite my reservations about the Firehawks rebrand, it stands the best chance of engaging a wide market, and the NRL/Broadcasters get a 2nd Brisbane club that's thoroughly committed to playing it's home games at Suncorp.

It would also require what GEMBA describes as 148,000 “fanatical” supporters, as well as 10,000 members, to be viable

….

Of an extensive report, this is the crux of it for me. Should Gemba’s insight be accurate. And while “fanatical” can be interpreted in a few ways, I suggest it’s eyeballs on TV screens (pairs that is!), and those who would attend games be it infrequently/occasionally or regularly..

Assuming yes….

What new Brisbane team would get this? I’d think most/all could get that pretty easily but others in Qld would know better than me..

And…

What other/future expansion teams could get this?

I’m confident Perth n Adelaide could do… although possibly need higher numbers to offset travel..

Last edited:

Hartwood

Juniors
The only way I can see the Dolphins convincing RL fans in Moreton Bay Region to support them over the Broncos and Cowboys is by playing their games in Moreton Bay, but that would require the Queensland Gov to build a new stadium.

I agree, but the branding is just so terrible, everyone I've talked to hates the name and I think that many people will not follow them purely because of their name. I'm hoping the Jets and dolphins bids try to appeal more to the rest of Brisbane rather than their respective areas

mongoose

Coach
What about new convers to the sport though? Hard to forecast that but it has to be factored in, not just the existing "fanatics" who might change teams.

The 2nd Brisbane team is supposed to appeal to people all over south east QLD, not just 1 LGA so the map doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Diesel

Coach
A team may take a while to build fans, but give it a few years and if they’re a strong team on/off field they’ll have many supporters plus all the ones from the next generation

Diesel

Coach
Do we know who the 4 teams are that have declined to take part in the report? I’m assuming Warriors, Canberra and Newcastle would be least affected by team 17

jim_57

Staff member
The worrying thing is the GC population is split 50-50 between supporting their own team/other Queensland teams & some interstate club.

Not really that surprising to me, Gold Coast has a transient population plus a lot of locals who were adults when Titans came in wouldn’t have changed their team. Any new expansion club will get a few converts but the priority should always be focussed on getting all the kids growing up to support the club.

MugaB

Coach
Do we know who the 4 teams are that have declined to take part in the report? I’m assuming Warriors, Canberra and Newcastle would be least affected by team 17
Id say all of those teams would be affected most actually, its hard to get players to move to those areas, not when sydney is a bigger more affluent city, also brisbane being similar plus another new franchise puling from that thread. So if you are a marquee player, are you going to canberra or brisbane2?

I'd say Melbourne and Easts aren't one of them, although roosters can whinge about the most irrelevant things, so maybe. But its clubs who aren't too afraid of losing depth players, im guessing Penrith, Melbourne, Souths, Parra or Easts are the 4 not involved.
Gold coast are leading all this for sure, Everyone else jumps on the bandwagon, but im not too worried as they are the last team that should whinge about a new franchise validity when they've been a basketcase on and off the field forever, since their '88 inception, if anything they shoud be the most grateful, after the amount of buy outs and bail outs, if they weren't in a heartland area, they"d be in a grave long ago

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Wonder if the 17th team option

Has looked at the revenue loss scenario of keeping the Warriors operational in Australia

And impact uf the NRL decide to stop funding their extra costs if staying on the CC

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If the Titans were to create a good jersey design and stick with it like South Sydney does, then it would help people identify with them and accept them as part of the landscape.
A bit off topic, but I would have loved the North Sydney Bears to partner with the Burleigh Bears back in 2007 and form the Gold Coast Bears with the stipulation that the licence is tied to them being a 100% Gold Coast based club. The benefits would have been:

- Iconic Bears colours and logo back in the NRL
- Foundation club with history
- Gold Coast Bears having a larger away following in Sydney than the Titans do
- Links to the history of Gold Coast and Queensland RL through the Burleigh Bears
- Opportunities for a crowd boosting match for Manly each year that would surely be an event game at Brooky
- Opportunities for Sydney clubs to capitalise on the Bears' presence and play them at North Sydney Oval as an event game from time-to-time.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
A bit off topic, but I would have loved the North Sydney Bears to partner with the Burleigh Bears back in 2007 and form the Gold Coast Bears with the stipulation that the licence is tied to them being a 100% Gold Coast based club. The benefits would have been:

- Links to the history of Gold Coast and Queensland RL through the Burleigh Bears
- Opportunities for a crowd boosting match for Manly each year that would surely be an event game at Brooky
- Opportunities for Sydney clubs to capitalise on the Bears' presence and play them at North Sydney Oval as an event game from time-to-time.

Plus the Seagulls were red and black like the Bears.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It would also require what GEMBA describes as 148,000 “fanatical” supporters, as well as 10,000 members, to be viable

….

Of an extensive report, this is the crux of it for me. Should Gemba’s insight be accurate. And while “fanatical” can be interpreted in a few ways, I suggest it’s eyeballs on TV screens (pairs that is!), and those who would attend games be it infrequently/occasionally or regularly..

Assuming yes….

What new Brisbane team would get this? I’d think most/all could get that pretty easily but others in Qld would know better than me..

And…

What other/future expansion teams could get this?

I’m confident Perth n Adelaide could do… although possibly need higher numbers to offset travel..
Id think theyd need a lot more than 10k members IF they arent to be reliant on pokie machines.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No, havent seen anywhere that has said who chipped in.

I like that idea. Burleigh Bears are right near Robina.

flippikat

Bench
Plus the Seagulls were red and black like the Bears.

There was a phase when the Seagulls virtually wore an early 1970s Bears jersey too...

images

images

The Great Dane

First Grade
what does it say?
The article basically says that the Raiders were one of the teams that helped fund the report, but they only did it to get a clearer view of the commercial viability of a 17th team and that they aren't necessarily against expansion.

This is the most pertinent quote-
"Our club's not against expansion - we were an expansion club. A new side will be a new challenge for us. Is it going to hurt us as much as it's going to hurt the Broncos and the Titans? No. An uplift in revenue is a great thing for the game. It's just making sure it's commercial," Don Furner said.

Latest posts