What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

MugaB

Coach
Was going to go in to it on the crowd watch but realized it was getting off topic. I know it's a bit nitpicky but no way Redcliffe gets in for me as just 'Redcliffe'. Unless they expand their brand and target reach to North and East Brisbane and up the coast as far as Sunny Coast, Gympie and Bundaberg. Hard to see them having much success with that with an isolated suburb name.

We have too many teams with suburb names as it is without giving a rare expansion spot to another in my opinion. Put it up against a bid that is tagreting Ipswich, Logan and southwestern QLD and Redcliffe have to up their game to be a chance.
HERE IN ENTERS "THE"
....dusts off hands and continues waltzing by...

MugaB

Coach
I like the idea of simply having "insert-team-name United" etc. Ie no need for an animal mascot etc. However understand for merchandising and branding - especially if a team is established in a "non-Rugby League city" - it's important to have.

Like some of the ideas on here.

My two-cents.. IF teams were established in the places below (whether they should or not is another discussion)

For Perth & Adelaide - I'd want them to re-establish the Reds & Rams.
Brisbane Bulls
Central Coast Bears
Wellington Boots
Pacific Islanders
Darwin Crocodiles
Rockhampton Archers
Mackay Pioneers

Names for Rocky & Mackay are based on history & local identity (Rocky founded by the "Archer" brothers and Mackay on the Pioneer river/Pioneer valley etc). Even if not these - I'd suggest something that the community can identify with would be best.

Bulls for Brisbane - with the existing Broncos. Marketers dream..
Bears for the CC - like tying in Nth Sydney history here (even through it would be an inheritance of sorts)
Boots - why not.
Crocs - pretty obvious one
Islanders - for the Pacific Islands combined side - could they possibly be called anything else?
Halos

flippikat

Bench
Maybe the Bombers team should bid for Adelaide. The Adelaide Aces with the bombers branding?
Fair point, and it could be a reasonable pivot for that bid organization- IF the NRL actually gave any definite indication that they're considering expansion into AFL-land.

Let's be honest - and it's a point I think you've made here (if I recall correctly)...

Why would ANY expansion bid team put time/effort/money into constructing a bid & trying to win over the NRL if they haven't made any solid statements, haven't called for bids, haven't given terms for bids, and keep changing their position on expansion like the wind?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fair point, and it could be a reasonable pivot for that bid organization- IF the NRL actually gave any definite indication that they're considering expansion into AFL-land.

Let's be honest - and it's a point I think you've made here (if I recall correctly)...

Why would ANY expansion bid team put time/effort/money into constructing a bid & trying to win over the NRL if they haven't made any solid statements, haven't called for bids, haven't given terms for bids, and keep changing their position on expansion like the wind?
yeh, they wont and arent. Pointless time and money that could be spent elsewhere. I guess there is value in having a bit of groundwork done given how knee jerk nrl are but in reality you arent going to spend a lot of resources or time on putting a pipe dream together.

I suppose the flip side of that argument is NRL are so rudderless that putting a compelling bid together before they have decided anything may sway them your way?

docbrown

Coach
Adelaide aces was original name for super league team but for some reason became rams
The Rams were also one of the names the Adelaide Crows were going to pick.

I wonder if the South Australia Shrikes or Adelaide Magpies would be a good fit for an NRL club brand.

Latest posts