What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion won't happen anytime soon

toomuchsoup

Juniors
Seeing as expansion seems to be off the cards for the foreseeable future, the only way to spread the game with out adding more teams would be:

Move the Tigers to Perth (West Coast Tigers/Western Tigers)
&
Change the Titans to the Gold Coast Bears

both would be bold moves. imo the bears need to be back in the comp and the titans brand is kinda lame. they use to wear black red and white when they were the seaguls and the burleigh bears are a lower grade team, so that could work

Unless the tigers get their shit together soon, i think a move to perth might be necessary. one less sydney team and then perth will finally have a team

Diesel

Coach
I agree with the renaming of the GC, there were a few rumours a couple of months back but NFI if there's any truth to that.

There's no way the Tigers will move from Sydney, they should be permanently based in the Campbelltown area, there's so much potential if they embraced the area full time

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Seeing as expansion seems to be off the cards for the foreseeable future, the only way to spread the game with out adding more teams would be:

&

both would be bold moves. imo the bears need to be back in the comp and the titans brand is kinda lame. they use to wear black red and white when they were the seaguls and the burleigh bears are a lower grade team, so that could work

Unless the tigers get their shit together soon, i think a move to perth might be necessary. one less sydney team and then perth will finally have a team

I say de merge wests and balmain although it or a hostile takeover by wests may happen anyway if the courts finish balmain this year. If it happens then the nrl should maintain the tigers brand by moving it too perth and then proposing the merger of the bullsogs and western suburbs to create a very strong team called west sydney bulldogs covering bankstown, macarthur and liverpool. I would imagine they would have training and admin at a new facility in liverpool. Maintains 16 teams, expands and reduces the number of teams in sydney while strengthening a key region with a super club

toomuchsoup

Juniors
I say de merge wests and balmain although it or a hostile takeover by wests may happen anyway if the courts finish balmain this year. If it happens then the nrl should maintain the tigers brand by moving it too perth and then proposing the merger of the bullsogs and western suburbs to create a very strong team called west sydney bulldogs covering bankstown, macarthur and liverpool. I would imagine they would have training and admin at a new facility in liverpool. Maintains 16 teams, expands and reduces the number of teams in sydney while strengthening a key region with a super club

now THAT is an idea

BuffaloRules

Coach
I can imagine the sales pitch to Wests Ashfield now...

You know how you have a 50 per cent ownership in the Wests Tigers?

Well, give that up and throw in with the Dogs...

Oh ok.. What's in it for us?

Not a lot... Although we will pretend that we are considering a name change to Western Suburbs Bulldogs for a few weeks before deciding to retain the existing brand..

I don't know how old you boys are but Wests decided against being taken over by the Bulldogs 16 years ago.. Not sure they will be up for it now.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach

Weren't the Dogs and Magpies in talks in the late 90's about a merger before Wests pulled out as it was a take over, similar to Parra and Balmain at the same time leading to the West Tigers?

Diesel

Coach
I can imagine the sales pitch to Wests Ashfield now...

You know how you have a 50 per cent ownership in the Wests Tigers?

Well, give that up and throw in with the Dogs...

Oh ok.. What's in it for us?

Not a lot... Although we will pretend that we are considering a name change to Western Suburbs Bulldogs for a few weeks before deciding to retain the existing brand..

I don't know how old you boys are but Wests decided against being taken over by the Bulldogs 16 years ago.. Not sure they will be up for it now.

Who owned the license? and after they expire who decides continual ownership? Could be what the NRL
wants

BuffaloRules

Coach
Who owned the license? and after they expire who decides continual ownership? Could be what the NRL
wants

I believe that Wests have signed a new participation deal through to 2022...

Wests Ashfield own 50% and Balmain the other 50% of the Wests Tigers. I understand that the Balmain 50% is in jeopardy if they don't repay NRL money shortly which seems unlikely.

What happens to that 50% I don't know... Wests Ashfield may be offered it or Harry Triguboff from Meriton Apartments could step in?

I don't see Wests Ashfield meekly surrendering to the Bulldogs though... 50% of something is better than a 100% of nothing...

siv

First Grade
In March if Balmain dont cough up $2mil to the NRL they loose their 50% part of the Wests-Tigers licence

They had 2 years to pay up

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now that the NRL has given clubs a permanent license and a shed load of money there will be no chance anyone is going to agree to any merger or relocation, ever.

siv

First Grade
I think you will find expansion will occur on a promotion relegation process after platinium league is in place

t-ba

Post Whore
I think you will find expansion will occur on a promotion relegation process after platinium league is in place

:lol:

Parra has a shit year to be replaced by Coffs Harbour or Dubbo :lol:

Insanity.

Gold Coast Bears has merit imo. Red and Black are great colours and it might finally open up the North Shore to development by an NRL club. (Hot tip 1 it doesn't have to be Manly, but it needs to be someone)

BuffaloRules

Coach

Insanity.

Gold Coast Bears has merit imo. Red and Black are great colours and it might finally open up the North Shore to development by an NRL club. (Hot tip 1 it doesn't have to be Manly, but it needs to be someone)

Could just imagine the Broncos getting relegated and playing 6 months later against Tamworth...

Imagine how much Fox and Nine would be paying to show that?

Some of the ideas that get thrown up around here are "interesting"...

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach

Insanity.

Hard to see NRL becoming promotion and relegation however it'd be funny to see the Broncos getting their asses kicked by Newtown at Henson Park.

Does anyone know if there was any truth to the GC Bears suggestion?

alien

Referee
I believe that Wests have signed a new participation deal through to 2022...

Wests Ashfield own 50% and Balmain the other 50% of the Wests Tigers. I understand that the Balmain 50% is in jeopardy if they don't repay NRL money shortly which seems unlikely.

What happens to that 50% I don't know... Wests Ashfield may be offered it or Harry Triguboff from Meriton Apartments could step in?

I don't see Wests Ashfield meekly surrendering to the Bulldogs though... 50% of something is better than a 100% of nothing...

wests don't need to be offered it. since they are the other part of the joint venture, if they want it, it's theirs. can you imagine if the roles were reversed and the club was called "balmain magpies" and the magpies side were broke and the tigers side took over 100%, there's no way they'd keep the "balmain magpies" name. they would change it back to balmain tigers, so if balmain go broke and wests take over, then wests should be the magpies again, and godfather harry could bring back the tigers brand in perth or something

Last Week

Bench
wests don't need to be offered it. since they are the other part of the joint venture, if they want it, it's theirs. can you imagine if the roles were reversed and the club was called "balmain magpies" and the magpies side were broke and the tigers side took over 100%, there's no way they'd keep the "balmain magpies" name. they would change it back to balmain tigers, so if balmain go broke and wests take over, then wests should be the magpies again, and godfather harry could bring back the tigers brand in perth or something

No they won't.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Other than the fact Wests Ashfiekd and the NRL have said they aren't changing the name back to Magpies.

Let's see what happens in respect of the other 50 percent. I suspect there are still a few twists and turns left in this saga..

bobmar28

Bench

&

Kinda lame? That was the name voted by the public.

bobmar28

Bench

In Perth? How about Liverpool.

Latest posts