What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fa'aoso set to become a Knight

The Devil

Bench
Fa'aoso set to become a Knight

21/08/2007 12:25:26 PM
Scott Brooks

Sportal

The reshuffle at Newcastle for 2008 is set to continue with Parramatta forward Richard Fa'aoso the latest player expected to commit to the Hunter club for next season and beyond.

Despite major issues still surrounding the future of out-of-favour forward Kirk Reynoldson on top of the well-documented rumblings of a few senior players, coach Brian Smith has just about completed his controversial restructuring of the club for next season with the former Penrith and Roosters player expected to be one of the final pieces in the Knights' 2008 puzzle.

Fa'aoso has struggled at Parramatta this season since moving from English club the Castleford Tigers, only taking part in one NRL match, the Eels' 38-6 thrashing of the Raiders in round four.

But the 23-year-old Tongan international has had his fair share of top-grade experience, playing 10 matches for the Panthers in 2004 and 21 games for the Roosters the following season.

Fa'aoso's expected signature comes on top of other 2008 signings Chris Houston (Dragons), Ben Cross (Storm), Matt Hilder (Titans), Wes Naiqama (Dragons), Danny Wicks (Dragons) and Keith Lulia (Dragons).

Just a little more news about Fa'aoso.

What's everyones feeling about this possible signing?

Misanthrope

Staff member
He had a lot of promise when he went from Penrith to the Roosters, but never really lived up to it. Can't see him being much of a first grade fixture, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

The Colonel

Immortal
Brilliant when he can hold the ball and there in lies the main problem - he has hands like feet. Probably the best ball runner at the club outside of Moimoi but is let down by his handling. There was early hope for him but one game has been about it - Hauraki, Paulo and before he left, Taia, had moved comfortably ahead of him. Fifth club in almost as many years given his stint in England.

Stagger eel

Staff member
physcally he can be and do anything...

but Mentally he's very weak.

btw, he's already signed.

otori

Juniors
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
Oh yay go Brian Smith what a mastermind. All our problems have been solved. Should have just kept Snowden.

Bloody oath. Snowden just needed to lose some weight. You don't switch clubs five times in five seasons unless there's a problem.

oldman

Juniors
otori said:
Bloody oath. Snowden just needed to lose some weight. You don't switch clubs five times in five seasons unless there's a problem.

Then why hasn't he lost weight, pre season almost at the end of the season and he still is not fit - say to me lack of committment (unless he was struggling back from injuried) and why should we reward that:crazy:

keeney

First Grade
I rememebr Fa'aoso being a decent runner, but is he good all round? Just let down by hands, discipline and composure? Or has he got no hope of being a mongrel who rips in and lifts the team?

keeney

First Grade
That came out confused. Is he a decent defender too? What are his major problems?

Jono078

Referee
When ive seen him in FG he can get over agressive and give away a penalty and as has been mentioned can drop the ball.

Oh and ive seen him pull off a few bell ringers when he was with the Panthers and Roosters.

I guess he is a Josh Perry but with the consistent agression lol?

Also im suprised he's only 23, I thought he was closer to 30.

keeney

First Grade
That's the main reason I'm not too concerned by the signing, he's young.

Did he just start at Parra this year or last? I wouldn't mind seeing how Smith utilises him considering he probably didn't have time to finish the plan he started at Parra.

Burwood

Bench
Are his ball handling skills really that bad? I've been looking through his stats and he made 4 errors in 10 games in '04, and 12 errors in 21 games in '05.

The Colonel

Immortal
keeney said:
Did he just start at Parra this year or last? I wouldn't mind seeing how Smith utilises him considering he probably didn't have time to finish the plan he started at Parra.

Only came to Parramatta during the off-season after Mick Vella was released to go to England. Was signed to cover as depth for the season.

Burwood said:
Are his ball handling skills really that bad?

Has had a couple of injuries during the season but the main reason he has only played one game is because of his hands. He can hurt in attack and defence - if he holds the ball he can go well. Just drops the pill at crucial times.

keeney

First Grade
I don't get how a person can be that bad at catching, surely its something that can be remedied.

Frederick

Staff member
Wasn't Royal notorious for having feet for hands? I don't think his handling's been that bad since he's been in first grade.

Ben

Bench
Newton was as well, but i don't think it is even worth mentioning his name in these forums.