What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Familiar Territory - Brad Arthur

peddles

Juniors
Hi all.

First time poster, long time reader, even longer time EELS supporter!

Read this in the local paper and thought I would share it (apologies if it is posted elsewhere). Thought it was an interesting read.

Source: Blacktown Sun 12/10/10 (Can't insert link yet - still on 'L' plates)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Familiar territory
BY JOHN MACDONALD
12 Oct, 2010 01:00 AM
BRAD Arthur is doing more than just taking on a job as assistant to new coach Steve Kearney at the Parramatta Eels.
He's coming home.

Arthur was a Seven Hills junior who progressed to Parramatta's S.G. Ball, under-20 and reserve-grade teams.

He then became a captain/coach at Cairns, winning four premierships.

That record led to his joining the Melbourne Storm.

"I was very lucky," he said. "A friend learned there was a position available and he put my name up."

Arthur got the job and "I learned from the best coach in the business," he said of his four years at the Storm with Craig Bellamy.

He also coached the Storm under-20s to last year's Toyota Cup title.

"I can't wait to get my teeth into it and put in a tough pre-season," he said of Parramatta's 2011 campaign, which will start on November 1.

He'll also be living close to his extended family; his father is in the Blue Mountains and the rest still live around Seven Hills.

Arthur was one of the first people Kearney rang when he accepted the Eels job.

"Steve's a very relaxed, calm, level-headed person, whereas Craig Bellamy's more hot-headed and tends to blow up during games," he said.

"I'm probably a bit more like Craig."

Arthur said there was no doubt what Kearney's approach to the task would be.

"He believes in discipline and having the right attitude," he said.

Arthur said the qualities instilled at the Storm were apparent during their troubled 2010 because of the salary-cap scandal.

"It was a tough year, training all week for no points but they still would have finished a point out of the top four (if points were available).

"That's the culture of the place."

He said Kearney would create the same environment at Parramatta.

Arthur said the Storm had always fancied their chances when playing Parramatta.

He said when things went wrong for the Eels, heads would often drop.

But Arthur said there was also plenty right with the Eels, and they just needed greater consistency.

"Steve will also focus heavily on the youth nursery and giving kids every opportunity," he said.

"At the Storm I was very fortunate to work with the likes of Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk.

"They have a tremendous work ethic and attitude to football.

"They were the ones really driving the discipline in the team and hopefully we can bring some of that culture to Parramatta."

At 36, Arthur has dreams of one day being an NRL coach but that heaven and hell can wait.

He can't wait for November 1, however.

fish eel

Immortal
the more I hear from Kearney and Brad Arthur, the more confident I am that the right decision was made.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They are both making the right noises, i too think they made thw right choice. I am far more confident about next year than i was a month ago.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Good thing is, Kearney has a good track record. Albeit a skewed and questionable one, but its more then say Michael Hagan had.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Arthur said the Storm had always fancied their chances when playing Parramatta.

He said when things went wrong for the Eels, heads would often drop.

The Storm would have fancied their chances against everybody, knowing they had a couple of million dollars worth of extra talent in their side.

The Storm would have fancied their chances against everybody, knowing they had a couple of million dollars worth of extra talent in their side.

I think what Brad was implying there is that our team is soft and when we got behind we didn't have the balls to come back. And you'dhave to agree with him a little.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
WTF?!?! We've been responsible for 3 of the biggest comebacks in history in the past 3 years (Dogs in 2008 and Manly and Penrith this year).

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
WTF?!?! We've been responsible for 3 of the biggest comebacks in history in the past 3 years (Dogs in 2008 and Manly and Penrith this year).

I personally thank Daniel Anderson for instilling that into us. I could not see this team do it under Hagan or Smithy (yes I know the round 1 match in 08)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The coaches and assistant coaches didn't know that the board had broken the salary cap.

They made 4 grand finals in a row. Everybody else knew something was up, are you saying the Melbourne players just thought it was down to luck?

They dominated mate. Daylight was second - they were minor premiers 3 years in a row. Two of those years they finished on 44 points!!! That's 3 wins better than the Dragons these past two years and 4 wins better than us in 2005.

They not only had a galaxy of stars, but they had no weaknesses across the park, and their depth was unmatched.

There are plenty of posts on this site (including one of my own) from before the salary cap scandal went public where posters questioned Melbourne's compliance. It's impossible to dominate like they did without rorting the cap. Remember they knocked us out of the finals 3 times in that period and the closest we got was in '06, in the 1 vs 8 match (lost 12-6).

On their day nobody could beat them. Nobody.

The last time you could say that about a team was the Broncos and Raiders of the early-mid 90s, and neither team was bothered by a salary cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I personally thank Daniel Anderson for instilling that into us. I could not see this team do it under Hagan or Smithy (yes I know the round 1 match in 08)

I don't think it's anything to do with Anderson - as you noticed, they showed it before he turned up.

What the team had was the ability to switch on and dominate for periods of a match and score a lot of points quickly. That caused panic to set into the opposition (some opposition anyway) which made our job easier.

It was a combination of game-breakers that allowed us to shred teams when everything gelled - Hayne, Mateo, Inu and Moimoi chief among them.

That said, I think Mateo and Inu were overall not worth the huge money they were asking for. They were match-winners but far too inconsistent, and most worryingly, both dropped intensity whenever we got in front on the scoreboard.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
They made 4 grand finals in a row. Everybody else knew something was up, are you saying the Melbourne players just thought it was down to luck?

They dominated mate. Daylight was second - they were minor premiers 3 years in a row. Two of those years they finished on 44 points!!! That's 3 wins better than the Dragons these past two years and 4 wins better than us in 2005.

They not only had a galaxy of stars, but they had no weaknesses across the park, and their depth was unmatched.

There are plenty of posts on this site (including one of my own) from before the salary cap scandal went public where posters questioned Melbourne's compliance. It's impossible to dominate like they did without rorting the cap. Remember they knocked us out of the finals 3 times in that period and the closest we got was in '06, in the 1 vs 8 match (lost 12-6).

On their day nobody could beat them. Nobody.

The last time you could say that about a team was the Broncos and Raiders of the early-mid 90s, and neither team was bothered by a salary cap.

Until you can prove otherwise, the coaches didnt know.

And while we are here, St George have won 2 minor premierships now and a premiership. SOMETHING must be up ey?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Nah bullsh*t mate. This isn't a court of law, it's the court of public opinion. There's no innocence until proven guilty.

Until you can prove otherwise it's just as likely that they knew as that they didn't.

And while we are here, St George have won 2 minor premierships now and a premiership. SOMETHING must be up ey?

Don't be childish.

St George haven't dominated. They have much better depth than the rest of the comp but they're light-on for stars. Their two minor premierships were only for 38 points, and in that time they've won 3 out of 5 finals matches. A premiership takes a lot of luck - it means you've managed to win 3 (or 4) finals matches in a row. St George won 3 this year but they lost 2 last year.

They only team they blew off the park was Manly (1 vs 8). In the other 4 finals matches (this year and last year) they lost 2, won one by 1 (ooh alliteration!), and trailed the Roosters at halftime before grinding them down and laying on late points after the Chooks gave up (go Brian Smith).

Compare that to the Storm's finals record in their 4 years of dominance. Does anybody really fear St George? On paper they're no better than anybody else - Gasnier's a poor man's Inglis, Boyd's a poor man's Slater, Soward kicks like Cronk but is only half the player, and they have no Cam Smith equivalent.

84 Baby

Referee

Actually I've thought for awhile now that they've become the new Brisbane. The old chestnut that players will play for less money under Bennett.

Latest posts