What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans' hearts and minds turn to Mariners and Jets

The Tank

Bench
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23099138-5001023,00.html

Another "rugby league is dying" story.

I find it interesting that the Jets finished second, the Knights finished second last, the Knights still finish with a higher average and this is some achievement to soccer?

And comparing the Mariners crowds on the CC to an NRL team that doesn't even exist. FFS, I like soccer, I just wish it would concentrate on growing it's own sport, rather than pissing on others.

ali

Bench
What a silly article. This journo should stop trying to pick fights between fans of Rugby League and Soccer. In NSW there is a big cross over between the two codes. Fans play and support both. We don't need rubbish written to turn the sports on each other.

jack coburn

Juniors
why would league people worry about soccer.they changed their season to summer so they dont have to compete with any sport,they should be getting more people if you ask me.the true test would be if they directly competed with league ,union and afl in winter.there is a reason they dont do this,its because they no they would be on a hiding to nothing and the tv ratings with any sort of competiton from those 3 would leave only a few thousnd watching.

In-goal

Bench
There is a massive cross over between RL and Football, I think this arcticle is nothing more than lip service in itself. Honestly you don't start turning off you favourate game simply because someone else is having success, the strength of the A-League is it's status as a Summer sport.

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
I hate when the commentators who are calling a soccer game always comment on the crowd being on par with the nrl crowds, do some investigating...nrl crowds are not 10,000 on avearage. I don't mind soccer, but i hate how they think they can come in and just think they take over league and consider themselves the best sport in the country...they are not even close...they are behind league, afl, union and cricket

innsaneink

Referee
This summer soccer has grabbed my attention, for the first time ever have sat down and watched afew games, had a few bets etc...the cricket has been minimal this summer, probably why.
The A-league seem to be getting it right finally.

GCR

Juniors
"It's a question certainly worth asking today as The Daily Telegraph reveals the most lucrative gesture by any sports fan this summer."

So what? Singleton offered to completely fund a Central Coast NRL team with no funding from the NRL. Half a race horse is nothing.

But as a Central Coast resident, I must be blind because I've seen no evidence of this "phenomenon". A couple of posters - handed out by the Mariners - in shop windows along Mann St is hardly anything special and as soon as the team sinks back to the bottom of the table crowds and return to 7,000.

Deadset, the average person in the area couldn't give a stuff about a bunch of ring-ins who wouldn't know Terrigal from Tascott.

innsaneink said:
This summer soccer has grabbed my attention, for the first time ever have sat down and watched afew games, had a few bets etc...the cricket has been minimal this summer, probably why.

The A-league seem to be getting it right finally.

I don't think the Australian coach agrees with you.

TRAINING in Europe is better than playing in the A-League according to the man who counts, new Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek, who yesterday named 19 overseas-based players in his squad for next month's World Cup opener against Qatar.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/pim-goes-for-longhaul-stars/2008/01/23/1201024992652.html

strewth_mate

Bench
FFS, I like soccer, I just wish it would concentrate on growing it's own sport, rather than pissing on others.

Exactly. We have to put up with Con Constantine relating most things to the Knights and how much they ruin his life. The Jets perform, then it's the beginning of the end for the Knights, but if they don't perform, then it's because the Knights have strangled him. He is picking a fight with someone who doesn't exactly care.

There's no real need for him to be competitive in Newcastle, in my opinion. There's a core supporter base for both teams, both quite passionate (like any team) and they both have their own varied success.

My own personal experience is that Knights fans quite typically enjoy going to the soccer and supporting the Jets, especially late in the season, but the Jets faithful I know are the ones that adopt their media's prejudice towards the Knights and try to pick a fight for superiority that doesn't really exist in reciprocation.

Both have their bandwagon supporters - while that upsets the purists they're necessary here because if they don't come, the crowd size halves and everyone gets even more bitter since while they hate the ingenuine supporters they also hate the ignorance. It confuses me to hear the Jets talk up their growing crowds - it's not taking away from the Knights, because the same people will be there for the Knights when the seasons change. I didn't think they'd like the bandwagon presence anyway - kind of like a devotee of indie music who hears their song on commercial radio.

The Jets will sell out the ground this weekend and good on them.

sharko

Juniors
It is about more than hearts and minds it is about the long term sponsorship or money implications.
Soccer, the A League , is now only being percieved as being properly run and funded after decades of old bullsh*t politics thatstemmed from overseas more than Australian issues.
Soccer dwarfs all other codes as far as junior participation, which is the life blood of any code. Their trouble had been that there was no progression for those juniors beyond school level as the clubs seemed to cater for race based rivlaries rather than merit.
Now the A-League is established and States like NSW and Qld want more teams this will only increase exposure and opportunities for other domestic soccer comps.
This means the sponors dollars will go toward who has the greater base and potential base of supporters..which is soccer and AFL.
There will be less money around in the formerly league States of Qld and NSW... the league eams are going to have to find alternative ways of making money..serves them right for signing away their tv rights for a pittance..bloody fools!

GCR

Juniors
Yeah, that's why the NFL is struggling despite soccer having a vastly higher participation rate in the US :roll:

BBKing777

Juniors
Dont get me wrong I love my RL but I kid you not "soccer" is on the up and up in this country. If we make another World cup or even God willing host one football will go mad in this country.
I remember when football in Australia was averaging 2000 fans at the best of times and you have to remember that RL has been going strong for 100 years, and the A-league has been up and running for 3

JW

Coach
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Soccer journos are the biggest threat to the sport moving ahead in this country.

Indeed. Memories of Simon Hill's hissy fits, lol.

Look, I don't have a problem with Soccer but the jokers running these clubs need to realise that many of the fans attending their games around the country also attend and passionately follow the NRL and AFL. Coming out and bagging the 2 biggest football sports - as they have been doing in the last few years - is suicide, especially if they decide to make it a regular habbit.

Articles by this bloke and and the likes of Simon Hill should always be taken with a grain of salt. Any successes or failures that the A-League clubs experience in the end have little effect on the winter sports. Perhaps if these blokes are so keen to engage in a bit of cross-sport verbal, they should take aim at their competitors. Like the, er, Pura Cup...

Choppies

Coach
Exactly JW. I love both sports amd from my experience most soccer fans I know are very passionate Rugby League fans and it just makes me think whenever an article like this is written up why bother going to an a league game if this is their attitude?

They seem to have a problem with concentrating on how their game is run and rather than toasting their success when it comes they would rather snipe at another sport.
At the end of the day I hope the A-League goes well and I would love nothing more than the Socceroos in World Cups for years to come and perhaps of we are lcuky the tournament itself will come here.

GCR

Juniors
Perhaps the A-League can go head-to-head with the NRL and AFL now that they've captured the hearts and minds of Australians? Play during winter, charge the same for tickets, that sort of thing. Would be good for a laugh!

meltiger

First Grade
Did the Victory last year winning the GF affect the AFL? Would FC winning this year affect any Sydney clubs?

Pfft, it's a summer sport and no threat to the Knights.