What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah to the halves???

southsport

First Grade
Farah Open To Souths Halves Switch
Alicia Newton‌, National Correspondent‌‌, ‌‌‌NRL.com

Sat 11th November, 01:07PM
telling NRL.com he'd prefer to play with just one hooker in 2018, the futures of Farah and Damian Cook are up in the air.

Farah rotated with Cook at dummy half under former coach Michael Maguire in 2017, but the arrangement frustrated fans and affected the side's structure.

The 33-year-old has linked well with former Wests Tigers teammate Mitchell Moses in the halves during the World Cup and admitted it could be an option at club level.

"It would be a challenge week-in and week-out over a long season but I would back myself to do it and have confidence to do it," Farah said on Friday.

"It's been good, I've really enjoyed it and get the ball as much as I can and provide Mitch [Moses] with as much ball out wide as possible."

The former NSW representative said the transition had been made easier with the experience that came from spending more than a decade in the No.9 jersey.

"I'm slower in the mind where I can organise and take a back seat and get the boys around using my talk and experience in the game," Farah said.

Lebanon coach Brad Fittler believes Farah could make the switch at NRL level.

"Yeah, no doubt at all … he's slow but," Fittler laughed.

"The way he's playing now the game is going slow for him. That's just not his speed but in his own mind – he's seeing it clearly.

"There is so much they (Farah and Moses) have to do in and around what people are watching. The communication and getting people into position – they're doing a brilliant job."

Farah returned the focus back onto Fittler, reiterating his stance that his international coach is the ideal candidate to take the vacant NSW Blues coaching job.

"I've been a one-man PR band for him," Farah said.

"For me he's the obvious choice. I don't think he needs to push his case and everyone else has [to].

"He's pretty keen for the job and believes he can make a difference at that level.

"I've seen him mature as a coach from City Origin to now. He can really differentiate joking to being serious and cracking a whip at training."

Farah will lead Lebanon against Australia for the first time on Saturday night and believes the inexperienced Cedars can shock the rugby league world.

"We believe we can [win] and we're going into this game to win," Farah said.

"We went in against England to win and I thought we gave a good account of ourselves.

"I think England definitely knew they were in a game at the full-time siren so for us it's just continuing to improve hopefully before a quarter-final berth."

The former Australian hooker said he would sing both national anthems but has not thought about the occasion of coming up against his former international side on a personal level.

"It's more the other boys that have had long careers in the lower grades here in Sydney," Farah said.

"To play on the world stage against the world champions at Allianz Stadium is a massive occasion for them and Lebanon rugby league.

"I'm proud of being Australian and born in the greatest country in the world. It's a proud moment for me on both fronts. It's a win-win."

The Cedars will qualify for the quarter-finals regardless of Saturday night's result against Australia if England beat France on Sunday.

Rabbits20

Immortal
$450k is a lot of cap to be running around for norths, I don't think that will happen myself.
I think it's more than 450k. Dumb bone headed decision on our part.....

Seibs is sold on fullback and only playing one hooker.....

I can't see how Cookie misses out...

callmack1

Staff member
No way Farah to the halves. Seibold has already said he's settled on Cody and Reyno in halves. Hooker is the only position in the spine he's not sure of but he has said he'll be going with only one hooker though.

doyen

Bench
If we are to go with one HOOKER it should be FARAH---he is one of the smartest organisers & operators in the game;a confident talker on field!! Quick between the ears is the most important attribute for a No.9!!!!
Farah is still playing well & is clearly showing it on the international stage!
It would be suicidal to go with COOK at hooker in the long term!

Rabbits20

Immortal
There is no spot for Robbie at hooker...

I posted those stats about a month ago and Cook was better in most areas.....

Our team looks much better with Cookie there....

I didn't care if he misses a few tackles as the smaller hookers tend to be fast and can be found out occasionally defensively but their positives outweigh the negatives....