What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farah

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
His form has been down, no question.

At the same time it is encouraging that has is not trying to do it all himself so Brooks and Moses can hopefully develop into players that can run the show consistently.

Who knows how much of an influence Taylor is having as well? Another year in reggies for Moses might have been better but the future still looks encouraging.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
A simple question.
Is Robbie Farah playing up to the level we have come to expect from him ?

No, he is not. I don't think his head has been right since his mum died. The blow up last year between Farah and Potter / Mayer was juvenile. I think it is good that he isn't trying to do everything and I hope that he can regain his spark. I certainly wouldnt rate him SOO standard at this stage.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
There is no doubt his form is down but I'll throw into that his captancy is also down.

When we played the dogs there were times we should have totally shut the game down to stop the Dogs fightback. That needed Farah to step up and take control and guide his younger halves. Same against the Warriors there was a time where the Warriors were running rampant, I thought Farah could have pulled the players in and got them to focus more.

Playing a team that had 60% of the ball and we were in the game until the final few minutes seems to indicate we are going OK as a team. We got spanked by the premiers and only just lost to the other grand finalists (in a game we led by 18 points) so everyone are going alright....if Robbie Farah can guide Brooks and Moses well get on a run of wins!!!!

macnaz

Staff member
He just looks as tho he is running solo out there , he doesn't seem to be connecting with the team . May be wrong but it just looks that way sometimes.

Good question,and the answer to your question is no,it is not that he is really poor ,its just that he is not playing to the standard we have become to expect.This could also be due to an injury niggle or father time.The past couple of seasons he has been very good before SOO before fading to the back end of the season,this season so far he hasn't been as dominant.As for his captaincy,it maybe a little unfair to judge, but the game against the dogs should of been closed out, and not taking a penalty shot before half time was just dumb.While last week i thought he should of attempted to question Badger more about getting a fair go,this tactic would also of given his team a breather while the Warriors had the ball for huge amounts of time.

super_coach

First Grade
We look and go a lot better when he is on the field, so he must be doing something right.

I think JT has told Farah to share the keys to the team with Brooks and a lesser extent Moses and if we want to see these two kids grow into very good FG footballers its the only way to go.

Early days, but Farah is still up their with the best no9's in the game

Hasn't started the year well.

JT is more focused on the kids directing the side so Farah has taken a backseat. Hopefully he finds the balance of not overplaying his hand in attack, and providing that quality we know he is capable of when something is on.

macnaz

Staff member
Who knows , I just know that someone has to friggin step up as splitting the calls and plays up is providing very little in crecreatively and direction at the moment. Its quite boring to be honest , and its not winning games.

Juniors
He looks frustrated. His attacking footy is non existent but I think he is playing a well as a hooker, engaging markers and creating some room for the forwards to get over the advantage line.

It's in attacking field position it all goes to shit.

Our kicking from the halves is also diabolical. There was a call in commentary that Farah has found the grass more than any other player. I'm guessing that is a percentage rather than total number of kicks. Brooks and Moses mid field bombs are downright stupid. I counted 7 in a row vs Parra. WTF against possibly the slowest full back in history and they couldn't kick to the corners.

I'm not sure if that's coached. Brooks did put in a cracker vs Warriors when he actually tried finding the grass.

Who knows what's going on but if the halves don't start doing something behind this pack Farah should certainly get a little more attacking responsibility.

macnaz

Staff member
He looks frustrated. His attacking footy is non existent but I think he is playing a well as a hooker, engaging markers and creating some room for the forwards to get over the advantage line.

It's in attacking field position it all goes to shit.

Our kicking from the halves is also diabolical. There was a call in commentary that Farah has found the grass more than any other player. I'm guessing that is a percentage rather than total number of kicks. Brooks and Moses mid field bombs are downright stupid. I counted 7 in a row vs Parra. WTF against possibly the slowest full back in history and they couldn't kick to the corners.

I'm not sure if that's coached. Brooks did put in a cracker vs Warriors when he actually tried finding the grass.

Who knows what's going on but if the halves don't start doing something behind this pack Farah should certainly get a little more attacking responsibility.

Spot on.

WTF is it with those mid field bombs,it's not as if our players are running through and contesting for the ball,more so in hope the opposition drops it which rarely happens if there is no pressure placed upon them.

N.C.

Juniors
He does seem to be playing a different role this year. He's playing fewer minutes and his running game is almost non-existent compared to the opening rounds of 2014. Meanwhile his defensive load has increased.

2014, 80 mins per game
R1, 6(44), 43
R2, 8(105), 39
R3, 7(56), 36
R4, 4(36), 45
R5, 12(105), 38
R6, 13(134), 38

2015, avg 73 minutes/game (10+ mins rest in all but 2 matches)
R1, 5(29), 44
R2, 5(45), 48
R3, 6(40), 59
R4, 7(55), 45
R5, 6(68), 45
R6, 4(66), 44

(Stats from nrlstats.com)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's defending wider more often, trying to protect Brooks and Moses.

I don't think his form is down, i just think he isn't as involved and that gives the appearance that he's not playing well.

I watch the games and then I watch a replay to watch the likes of Farah and Brooks.

IMO, like others have stated, I think he is playing to instructions, rather than doing it all, the coach wants Farah to let the kids take control. They will learn to take control, they will learn and be comfortable in telling Farah, no, or overriding his calls etc. when that happens and Farah is happy with their effort, he will be a happy Tiger.

His defence is spit on. SOO time will be interesting though.

N.C.

Juniors
I watch the games and then I watch a replay to watch the likes of Farah and Brooks.

IMO, like others have stated, I think he is playing to instructions, rather than doing it all, the coach wants Farah to let the kids take control. They will learn to take control, they will learn and be comfortable in telling Farah, no, or overriding his calls etc. when that happens and Farah is happy with their effort, he will be a happy Tiger.

His defence is spit on. SOO time will be interesting though.

Aside from that miss on Townsend on the weekend...

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Robbie Farah ditches captain cranky tag to help resurrect Wests Tigers

Michael Carayannis
Published: May 7, 2015 - 10:00PM

When Aaron Woods was coming through the grades at the Wests Tigers he was told by senior players to avoid Robbie Farah if the skipper was not in a good mood.

For so long Farah seemed to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders. The burden eventually became too much for the Tigers hooker last year when he lost his enjoyment in rugby league. Farah hit rock bottom and needed counselling after Gordon Tallis spoke out following a private conversation he had with the Tigers' rake who was said to be critical of former coach Mick Potter. He considered walking away from the captaincy.

Enter Jason Taylor. Taylor has helped take some of the pressure off Farah and captain cranky is slowly becoming a trait of the past.

According to Woods, the only time you see a frown on Farah's face is if his beloved Liverpool lose. But this was not always the case.

"I was intimidated a little bit," Woods said of joining the Tigers NRL squad as a 17-year-old. "A couple of the guys warned me that if he is grumpy not to worry and it was just Robbie. But no one says that any more.

"He has completely changed from when I came to the club as a young kid. It's probably the most relaxed I've seen Robbie. Some days when I was younger he was grumpy and I didn't know how to take him. But it is now easy for young guys to approach and they don't feel like it's hard talking to him."

Following a turbulent 2014, Farah knew something had to give. Frank discussions with incoming coach Taylor helped pave the way for Farah to be relieved of some of the responsibilities.

Farah knew with an impressionable squad his actions would shape the Tigers fortunes.

"In the past, we lose a game I used to have the shits and not talk to anyone," said Farah, who will lead the Tigers against the Sydney Roosters on Friday night. "I knew I couldn't be like that. You've got young players coming through and they see that, that's not the sort of leadership you want.

"A lot of that responsibility has been taken off my shoulders which I'm very happy about. Everyone talks about my influence and I think it's a load of nonsense. It's just a perception out there. I don't know where it came from and why people think it. I guess it's because I get asked about it in the media and I'm captain and you're doing media every week and you get asked these questions that you have to answer. I don't like answering them but I became a spokesperson or a voice at the club that people turned to for answers. It wasn't something I liked, and it got out of hand."

While Farah has moved on from last season, time has not completely healed his wounds.

"I still think I'm a bit apprehensive about certain things," Farah said. "It's hard to forget everything that happened last year. I've got my guard up now because I'm still a bit scared about what happened. That's in terms of off the field. On the field I'm loving my footy and coming to training every day. There's a really good vibe around the place."

Taylor had an open mind about his relationship with Farah. Naturally, Taylor says, the partnership between captain and coach needs to be tight in order to push for success. In one of those first conversations, Taylor explained how he wanted to revamp Farah's role at the club. He wanted to alter the way Farah played and potentially reduce his game time. Farah said he was open to the changes because "what we've been doing in the last few years hasn't been working" and Taylor has nothing but praise for the way the NSW No.9 has responded.

"I don't like to judge anybody before you know it yourself," Taylor said. "From the first day we've started talking about things Robbie has been great. His commitment and passion for the club, his career and his footy is first class. That came through.

"It wasn't something that I knew was there before we came along but it has been clear that he is slowly becoming a bit more relaxed over the course of time. I would like that to continue. No one can perform at their best if they are continually weighed down by feeling like that everything rests with his shoulders"

In Farah's words he took some time to adjust to his new on-field role. He has been lumped with getting the Tigers in better positions, and in some cases forgoing his natural attacking instinct to stick to the plan. In football speak they call it "a play for a play". Farah said it was something he continues to develop.

"[Taylor] wants me to control that structure and direct the boys around the park to certain positions," Farah said. "Now we are doing a play but the purpose is doing that for the next play or play after that. It has been difficult for me at times because I see something and I want to back myself because that's the way I've played in the past. Now it's about having that control and patience and slowly building our game."

The emergence of halves Mitchell Moses and Luke Brooks plus James Tedesco's form at fullback has helped ease the burden on Farah. Farah believes the club are finally settled in the halves for the first time since Benji Marshall and Scott Prince combined for the Tigers' 2005 premiership.

Taylor said Farah was aware of the attacking ability of his teammates.

"Robbie is really mindful of the ability of the guys around him and he is mindful he gets the ball before anyone else," Taylor said. "People often ask what have you changed. When new coaches come in you don't change, you start from scratch. That's what we've done.

"From day one, from the first conversation, I could tell he was committed, then it was up to me to convince him that the direction with the team was the right direction and for everybody. It's a real credit to Robbie with how he is rolling forward with the adjustments that we're making."

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lp-resurrect-weststigers-20150507-ggvnr3.html