What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite “Cult Classic”

Jim Rockford

Bench
Elizabeth Shue was awesome back in the day. She has aged well and I have hopes she will turn up in Cobra Kai as Ali. Cobra Kai the ultimate nostalgia show on TV IMHO.
They could have just put out something average and hoped that the fans of the movies would just lap it up, but you can tell the makers have the utmost respect for the characters and their history. I too would love to see Ali turn up, it would make a really great show even better!

Wizardman

First Grade
Cant wait never seen this film on the big screen.

OrpheumLogo21.png

I :hearts: RETRO – THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY: 4K RESTORATION

iretrogoodbadandugly.jpg

Rating: MA15+
Length: 180 mins
Cast: Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, Lee Van Cleef
Session Times (click preferred session time to book):
Sat 12th Jun:
8:00pm
The epic Spaghetti Western directed by Sergio Leone, starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach – generally considered to be one of all time greatest films. Restored in a beautiful 4K presentation – see the film as you’ve never seen it before.

The film currently sits at #9 on movie review website IMDb’s Top 250 Films of All Time as voted by film lovers around the world.
If I lived in Sydney, I'd absolutely go to see this movie on the big screen. In my opinion, the best western ever made.

Matua

Bench
If I lived in Sydney, I'd absolutely go to see this movie on the big screen. In my opinion, the best western ever made.
I got to see The Godfather and II on the big screen in the last few years which was awesome even though I've seen them both multiple times.

Oddly enough, about 20 odd years ago I saw Grease on the big screen in London, a film which was new years staple in NZ when I was a kid, and there was so much background stuff going on that you don't see on TV (maybe now with big screens you would).

I would go see this, but I'm going to be watching rugby (union) at Brookvale that night.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Oddly enough, about 20 odd years ago I saw Grease on the big screen in London, a film which was new years staple in NZ when I was a kid, and there was so much background stuff going on that you don't see on TV (maybe now with big screens you would).

So true especially in the final number We Go Together, so much happening with back ground dancers which was lost when it was cut down to be shown on the old 4.3 TV format

Jim Rockford

Bench
So true especially in the final number We Go Together, so much happening with back ground dancers which was lost when it was cut down to be shown on the old 4.3 TV format
So many good directors are very adept at having stuff happening right across the whole 16:9 aspect ratio. It really is the only way to see a lot of movies.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
My Cousin Vinny (1992)
Accidental Hero (1993)
Behind Enemy Lines (2001)
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
In The Heat of the Night (1967)
The Wild One (1953)
25th Hour (2002)
The Talented Mr Ripley (1999)
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
Pushing Tin (1999)

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The Black Hole (1979)
Dragonslayer (1981)
Saturn 3 (1980)
U-Turn (1997)
Freeway (1996)
Joe Versus The Volcano (1990)
Pauly Shore movies ... Jury Duty, Bio-Dome etc.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
The Poseidon Adventure is a beauty once you get over the opening inane dialogue, the fight for survival once the ship goes belly up is claustrophobic and really gets you in.

The two other big disaster movies from the seventies get played in my house quite a bit

The Towering Inferno, this movie still blows me away just by the sheer scale where it took two major studios to pull it together, at the time not a cent was spared and it shows in the finished product, top notch special effects before CGI which still hold up today, great cast lead by Steve McQueen and Paul Newman, it is in the top list of my favourite movies, it is actually at the top, it is my favourite.

Earthquake, with the success of The Poseidon Adventure, Universal wanted a block buster disaster film ( they actually had one a bit earlier with Airport in 1970 but i class the Airport series as a separate entity to the other disaster movies) , Mario Puzo was bought in to write the script for Earthquake and it would have cost Universal a fortune with Puzo's intricate detail so Universal shelved the movie, fast forward another year or so when 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers announced the joint venture of The Towering Inferno ,Universal went back into full gear with Earthquake, Mario Puzo wasn't available because of commitments to The Godfather 2 so the screen play was re written and shortened to save money, what it resulted in was a rushed mess of a movie which relied on the gimmick sensurround to get people in, it was supposed to give you the experience of an actual earthquake but actually gave most people a headache instead, the production was rushed to get it out before the Towering Inferno and the results are a wishy washy soap opera before and after the earthquake and variable special effects, some were good, some were terrible, still it made Universal a lot of money at the time and it still holds a certain charm which i enjoy watching more than a few times, probably because i like picking it apart when i'm watching it.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Universal are still getting mileage out of it with the Backlot Tours. Towering Inferno is a classic and as you mentioned the cast was second to none at that time. Great flick.

Yes Earthquake plays like a B grade movie where Towering Inferno is A plus.
The backlot tours of Universal originally had Charlton Heston doing and introduction/ narration for the Earthquake ride but it changed in later years, the one thing i like about Earthquake is the actual back story about the making of it with all the miniatures and also the matte paintings, the matte paintings by Albert Whitlock still look great, i also love the movie poster for it, the poster is a standout.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Some of the miniatures

Attachments

• 2becd4ea656611c7c4887c909e501d08.jpg
    2becd4ea656611c7c4887c909e501d08.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 8
  • MV5BOWM3ZjQ5OGEtNWZiNS00MDcyLThiNjQtYmVkOWU1YjA5ODAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg
    MV5BOWM3ZjQ5OGEtNWZiNS00MDcyLThiNjQtYmVkOWU1YjA5ODAyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc2NTEzMw@@._V1_.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 8
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 8

Jim Rockford

Bench
The Bad News Bears trilogy
Bad News Bears
Bad News Bears in Breaking Training
Bad News Bears Go To Japan

Last edited: