What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Film (Pre-1970)?

TheFrog

Coach
Dr Strangelove
The Third Man
The Trouble With Harry
The Leech Woman
The Fly
Bringing Up Baby

Enjoyed reading through the posts here, some real classics I’m reminded of.

For what it’s worth my standouts are below

Battleship Potemkin
The good the bad and the ugly
The Ten Commandments
The Dirty Dozen
The Great Escape
The War of the Worlds
North by Northwest
The Time Machine
Bedtime Story

Bedtime story is the original version of dirty rotten scoundrels with Marlon Brando and David Niven. I randomly watched it on some rainy Saturday arvo years ago not knowing what it was and it was absolutely awesome. A lot of the script of DRS is verbatim of the original - and for mine Bedtime story is just as funny. If not funnier. I highly recommend having a look but have never found it for sale on DVD etc

horrie hastings

First Grade
Two movies I have to be really be in the mood to watch because it feels like you have been put through a washing machine wringer and train wreck at the same time.

All About Eve- Fully of witty and catty dialogue, Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, Celeste Holm, Thelma Ritter and George Sanders are in fine form in this film.

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof- Paul Newman is brilliant in this and is equally matched by a stunning looking Elizabeth Taylor. Burl Ives, Judith Anderson and Madeleine Sherwood round out the cast of a great but emotionally draining movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade
“That bitch has slept with everyone at MGM except Lassie!”

Classic.

It’s funny, Robert Aldrich says both ladies were on their best behaviour during the filming of Baby Jane because both of them knew they needed the movie to be a hit to revive both of their flagging careers. The main hostility started when Bette was nominated for an oscar for her role of Baby Jane Hudson and Joan was overlooked, Joan campaigned that she would collect the Oscar for any winner who couldn’t attend the ceremony and when Anne Bancroft was announced the winner for The Miriacle Worker it is alledged Joan swept past Bette and said excuse me, “ I have an Oscar to collect “

Despite the palpable tension of this incident they both agreed to star together again In Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and that’s when the fire works really began and you could write a book of the incidents during the filming of that movie.

In later years when quizzed about the feud Bette would often say despite everything Joan was a real pro and the most unprofessional actor she ever worked with was Faye Dunaway.

It’s funny, Robert Aldrich says both ladies were on their best behaviour during the filming of Baby Jane because both of them knew they needed the movie to be a hit to revive both of their flagging careers. The main hostility started when Bette was nominated for an oscar for her role of Baby Jane Hudson and Joan was overlooked, Joan campaigned that she would collect the Oscar for any winner who couldn’t attend the ceremony and when Anne Bancroft was announced the winner for The Miriacle Worker it is alledged Joan swept past Bette and said excuse me, “ I have an Oscar to collect “

Despite the palpable tension of this incident they both agreed to star together again In Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte and that’s when the fire works really began and you could write a book of the incidents during the filming of that movie.

In later years when quizzed about the feud Bette would often say despite everything Joan was a real pro and the most unprofessional actor she ever worked with was Faye Dunaway.

I could read about those two for days.

To be a fly on the wall.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I could read about those two for days.

To be a fly on the wall.

Same here, some of the stuff was probably blown out of proportion but some is Hollywood folklore too.
Would have liked to seen some of the scenes Joan filmed for Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte because there were plenty with Joseph Cotton, Agnes Moorehead and Cecil Kellaway, its even been mentioned though I have never seen proof of that Joan even filmed the scene on the street with Mary Astor in the movie, considering that Joan probably filmed at least a third of the movie and in that time did not appear in one scene with Bette really gives weight to how much they dis liked [ hate is such a strong word, lol] at the time.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Mary Astor in her two scenes in Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, two of my favourite scenes of the movie, unfortunately this was to be Marys last movie.

horrie hastings

First Grade
An interesting montage of pics and footage of Bette and Joan during the filming of Baby Jane, did notice at 2 min 27 secs that the pic of Joan Crawford when she was filming Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte.