What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Parramatta Memories

The Engineers Room

First Grade
There was a game in 1989 where Sterlo and Mick Hagan (Knights) traded field goals 3-2 and Sterlo won us the game. He kicked one from about 10 metres in from touch.

jono

Juniors
There was a game in 1989 where Sterlo and Mick Hagan (Knights) traded field goals 3-2 and Sterlo won us the game. He kicked one from about 10 metres in from touch.

No , that was 1990 and it was a 12-12 draw, which was enough to put us out of the semis. If we HAD won , we were still a mathematical chance to qualify but the draw meant we were too far adrift. The NEXT week was a great win V Balmain at Leichhardt Oval , Wayne Pearce's last home game and we spoilt it with a 14-10 win - Glenn Liddiard scored a great try off a Scott Mahon Chip ahead. Magic moment at the end to watch Junior lap the oval to the tune of "Local hero" - even though this really doesn't qualify as a favorite Parra moment.

Goey Man

Juniors
I remember that one, it was first round of the season, against the sharks, though i don't remember who he cracked, i do remember it was well deserved, though

I thought it was a Friday Night Game against North Sydney. Simpkins (I think) was the ref from memory. It went a little like this.

Simpkins: The report from the touch judge is that Jim, you were the agressor.
Dymock: Of coarse I was the agressor I hammered him. But threw the first one you ask him.

Two Stuart Kelly moments...

* The try he scored against the Broncs at ANZ Stadium in the 1998 finals (same game where Chook Herron ironed out Steve Renouf)

* His try he scored against Melbourne in the 99 GFQ...great bust by Pay, offload to Jason Smith and Jason Smiths' offload to Stupid who outsprinted the Storm defenders to score.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
No , that was 1990 and it was a 12-12 draw, which was enough to put us out of the semis. If we HAD won , we were still a mathematical chance to qualify but the draw meant we were too far adrift. The NEXT week was a great win V Balmain at Leichhardt Oval , Wayne Pearce's last home game and we spoilt it with a 14-10 win - Glenn Liddiard scored a great try off a Scott Mahon Chip ahead. Magic moment at the end to watch Junior lap the oval to the tune of "Local hero" - even though this really doesn't qualify as a favorite Parra moment.

Funny, it I thought it was on a 1989 season video tape. And wasn't it a loss against Balmain in 1991 and a last round draw against Newcastle?

lingard

Coach
1982. Belmore Oval. Parra versus Balmain. Ben Elias made a break and was headed for the try-line. Eric Grothe gave him about 2o metres head start and mowed him down with a copy book around the legs tackle from behind, diving full length. Amazing. We creamed them after that.

Gladesveel

Juniors
long time reader 1st time caller. the norths game where we bashed them sensless stirred the emotions not stirred since johnny farnham sang your the voice,although not a norths hater something happened inside that night and ill never forget it.
also sitting in the stands of the SCG when the crow kicked us to glory in 86.my dad was part of the entertainment (armed forces promo)
Another precious moment ill keep with me forever is when at 18 in 1992 i snuck into a toukley hawks fundraiser that i didnt know was on at the local rissole and met my hero Ray Price. i said hello Mr Price and he turned his head looked over both shoulders and said "my bloody dad isnt here! its ray to you". what a champion. it still sends shiver up my spine. have to say this one of the best threads ive read.

I thought it was a Friday Night Game against North Sydney. Simpkins (I think) was the ref from memory. It went a little like this.

Simpkins: The report from the touch judge is that Jim, you were the agressor.
Dymock: Of coarse I was the agressor I hammered him. But threw the first one you ask him.

Funny what beer can do to a memory....

furman

Juniors
A game back in 91 down 15-14 against the tigers with less than aminute to go coping an unbelievable amount of stick off a couple of mates when we get a penalty 30 second out convert it and win. To this day jeez i love when we beat the tigers.

Suitman

Post Whore
That's some great reading @parra pete.

Keep the articles coming.

I came on board probably a decade or so after you. A kid in the early 70's but taken to Cumberland in the late 60's as just a baby. So many great memories, especially so in the late 70's when my first vision's and memories of the Eel's first success's started coming to fruition.
Those days, with the excitement and expectation of newfound success was so exciting. Packed Cumberland Oval's during the late 70's were a sight to be seen. We were building to something big. You could just feel it.

And.....these days?

Last edited: