What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite surburban ground and why?

nqcowboy87

Bench
my two favourite dont get used anymore, belmore and north sydney oval, but of the current ones being used is leichhardt, than anything with a hill

Tyler Durden

Juniors
Parramatta Stadium when they had the hills at the North and South end was the perfect suburban ground. Top grandstands and terraces that were comfortable for your corporates to much on prawn sandwiches, but close enough to the action. North Hill for those that liked to stand with your mates, drink beer and bring your big flags and witty banners. South Hill where it was alcohol free for families where you could have a picnic while your kids ran around with their footy games. Something for everybody on a sunny winter's afternoon with 3 grades playing. Heaven

Lambretta

First Grade
Most suburban grounds I have been to has been piss poor and largely spoiled the viewing experience. The exceptions being Brookvale when the hill was packed - great view and great atmosphere and Parramatta stadium which is an absolute joy to visit. Rectangle stadiums, even with hills, piss all over ovals imo.

Leichhardt has a great atmosphere, so I can almost forgive her the lack of decent facilities and the fact you can barely find a place to get a decent view and got covered in mud again and soaked when it pisses down.

Kogarah - it was pissing down with rain, we got covered in mud, soaking wet and ended up watching the game from a strange angle, surrounded by people that looked like they were auditioning for a ZZ Top tribute band

Shark Park - cold, windy and you either end up watching from behind the goals or from a corner, while standing behind ten rows of people all taller than you. Absolute rubbish.

North Sydney Oval - watching off at an angle on that weird hill watching the Bears put 50 on the Roosters. I would have rather let a family of weevils eat my c**k from the inside out than repeat that experience. There were about three seats in the entire ground that made viewing a pleasure. All were taken by fat people decked in red and black.

I haven't been to WIN, but that stadium looks like a cracker on TV with decent facilities and a beautiful view. I like the look of Panthers and Cambelltown stadiums too.

The SFS is the best stadium in Sydney and Bluetongue is another beauty. Both amazing places to watch rugby league at and they were purpose built for it. You can shove old fashioned cricket ovals with rectangle pitches slotted onto them up your arse. Same goes for the Sydney Cricket Ground for Rugby League. That's crap as well

GB!

Juniors
obviously Brookvale as its where my teams plays from, but have great memories as a kid running around Seiffert oval in Qbn

carcharias

Immortal
Shark Park - cold, windy and you either end up watching from behind the goals or from a corner, while standing behind ten rows of people all taller than you. Absolute rubbish.

ok

usually it is cold and windy at every ground in Sydney if it is cold and windy at shark park.
You being short is not really the grounds fault.
Also, you can pay the extra 10 or so dollars for a concourse seat or a bit more for a grandstand seat .
Same as most other grounds I would assume.

Henson Park.
Being a youngin i never experienced first grade footy at the ground and only visited it for the first time last year!
The ground beholds a top sense of tradition and has a great history.
Features about the ground that appeal to me:
- the sausage/steak sandwiches. One of fews grounds that still run a bbq.
- tinnies.
- huge hills.
- the hill mob. a group of newtown muso's who congregate on the top of the hill to beat out some tunes. including a reworked version of paul mccartneys 'jets'.
- the king george VI stand which also includes the good old 'jet setters lounge'
- the old wooden benches around the ground.
- being able to watch the footy from the car with the car park still at the Southern end.
- being able to kick the footy on the field during the breaks.
- the views from the scoreboard which i have been lucky enough to be a scoreboard attendant.
- the volunteers and the great community spirit present!
so thats just a few of the things possesed by the Ancient Henson Park.
i'd recommend if you havent been there recently to get out there for the upcoming Jets Re-union Day on the 23rd when they clash with the Bulldogs in Premier League.
cheers

They got to a stage where there was something like seven guitars and one of them bought an electric guitar with portable mini amp. They belted that Jet song after every try and the team used to applaud them at full time. Unfortunately the ground announcer started playing the club song over the PA and no one got to hear them anymore.

Along with Henson, I was fond of the old Sports Ground, mainly due to seeing Artie play there. The east-west configuration meant it was the players who had the sun in their eyes for a change.

My first non steelers game was norths v canberra at NSO. Beautiful afternoon at the footy. Will remember it forever

big hit!

Bench
as a 5-8 yo kid, i followed Newtown with my dad in their final years 80-83 (the final year hardly though as they mostly played out at Leumeah). he started really getting into them few years after he immigrated here and lived in the district back in the 70s and then i started to tag along when i became old enough not to be too much of a nuisance.

he'd dress me up for each game in the club replica kids jersey, white shorts, but farkin Canterbury socks (they had the thick white band in the middle as well as the trim at the fold, whereas Newtown socks were solid blue with the white trim at the fold), and gave me one of those cheap brown plastic balls which would delaminate whenever you kicked it or put any sort of pressure on it.

Anyway, we'd take our spot on the Henson Park hill not far from the woodland st ground entrance, but at a position where we didn't have to crank our necks too much to check the main scoreboard and the time clock. We'd get there about half time of reserve grade. First thing I'd do is check the third grade result and would think the Jets were going to have a great day if the scores were in their favour in the lower grades.

I farkin love that ground and still regularly get down there for runs and sprints in my own time, and NSW cup gamedays, etc. apart from the aussie rules posts, the removal of the analogue time clock on the scoreboards, the disappearance of the paramount jet, a coat of paint on the KGV grandstand, and the removal of the huge crown on the playing field after renovations of the surface a few years ago, it's hardly changed. great memories and watching a Newtown game there as a kid always gave us a 'we & the Jets are at home' moment.

of course, back then, it was predominantly a Sydney comp and we would also go to just about every away game except Illawarra & Canberra. Of these grounds, Leichhardt and Belmore were my favourites. I can still remember the trains tooting their horns as they passed the ground. These two grounds were easy to get too from the district and extremely close to the action as opposed to HP where it always seemed like you just a bit too far away. As a kid, I loved the away games because it was something new with lots of new senses to take in.

Once the Jets were kicked out, there was a bit of lull in our rugby league supporting. Dad ended up jumping on the Balmain (more ex Jets coach Warren Ryan) bandwagon in the late 80s so we started going to a heap of Leichhardt games. Big games, but it wasnt the same as supporting the Jets. He'd drop everything for that team. Still have the old 45 of the club song he'd play prior to the game and after it when they won.

Danish

Referee
ok

usually it is cold and windy at every ground in Sydney if it is cold and windy at shark park.
You being short is not really the grounds fault.
Also, you can pay the extra 10 or so dollars for a concourse seat or a bit more for a grandstand seat .
Same as most other grounds I would assume.

Even the concourse at Shark park is rubbish IMO. The angle is so shallow that even from the back row of the concourse you cant make out the opposing touchline.

Its grandstand only for Shark park if you actually want to see whats going on, which is annoying as those tickets are getting up into the 40 buck range

carcharias

Immortal
Even the concourse at Shark park is rubbish IMO. The angle is so shallow that even from the back row of the concourse you cant make out the opposing touchline.

Its grandstand only for Shark park if you actually want to see whats going on, which is annoying as those tickets are getting up into the 40 buck range

what horse shit.
I had seats on the concourse for two years and could see everything easily.

You need to get a cushion .

newman

First Grade

Waaaah waaah waaaah.

Belt up ya sook. And the rest of ya insipid pansies. It's too cold, too windy, too muddy, too uncomfortable. Rugby League is a mans game last time I checked.

big hit!

Bench
Waaaah waaah waaaah.

Belt up ya sook. And the rest of ya insipid pansies. It's too cold, too windy, too muddy, too uncomfortable. Rugby League is a mans game last time I checked.

those of us who play or have played it.

in my experience, the biggest whingers and critics are those who've never laced a boot in competition.