What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favourite Wrestlemania Moments

Big Pete

Referee
Watch that WM Angle/HBK match very closely Pete and you'll see what a garabge worker Micheals really is when Angle carries the match.

Finally got around to it.

Must say, I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would but can see where you're coming from.

Angle pretty much wrestles himself for the first ten minutes as HBK applies basic holds. Don't really understand the psychology behind this, HBK frustrates Angle and the audience, why? Doesn't matter because the match rarely returns to the mat-work.

Then the brawling starts. Is Michaels one of the worst strikers in the biz? His chops are fine but I've seen better punches from midget mexican workers. Angle isn't much better but he's at least solid and his uppercuts look brutal.

Match picks up after the ankle lock tease. That Angle Slam spot on the ring-post was great and actually gave me a lot of hope.

Angle works the back pretty well here and doesn't just spam german suplexes like a goof. Eventually Michaels makes a comeback and sells the back to the point but then he stops as he starts hitting high spots.

Cool spot on the apron with Angle teasing a super german on the announce table forcing Michaels to resort to the low blow.

Match should have been over when Angle caught Michaels with the Super Angle Slam. They set that spot up pretty well with Michaels going to the well too many times trying to be the show-stopper but his back getting the best of him but it just turns out to be a false fall.

Finish is fine although I hate the logic behind the grapevine ankle lock (why not do it in the first place?!).

All in all, it's a good match but has too many problems to be considered great. The face/heel dynamic was completely wrong (Michaels was more of a heel here than Angle), the strikes sucked, the opening psychology sucked and the selling was inconsistent.

As a package (build up and match) I can see why people rave on about it.

deemac77

Juniors
Benoit winning the WHC at WMXX was awesome

Brocks KO on the failed Shooting star press at WM19

WM Hardcore Battle Royal at WM 16 was one of the funniest things i have ever seen...

Hogan v Warrior was one of the best moments in WWF ever.

TLC 2 was one of the best matches for spots maybe ever. Not just wrestlemania.

Styles clash

Juniors
Anyone watched all 36 WrestleManias? Be fun to watch one every week for 36 weeks. If you bingewatched I think you'd get depressed in the 30s...

azzah72

Bench
I'd have to say the run of HBK in his return.

Jericho, Triple threat, Angle, Mcmahon, Cena, Flair, Taker x2

Just so, so good.

Big Pete

Referee
Wow this thread is a throwback.

I actually enjoy Angle-Michaels more now despite having seen far more Pro Wrestling. I thought it showcased both wrestlers extremely well and they did a wonderful job of piecing the finishing sequence together. HBK didn't have the best offence or really stand out as a grappler but his sense of timing was second to none.

I've also caught all those Wrestlemanias and have seen a few of them multiple times at points. XIV was my pick of the lot and for my money is the ideal Wrestlemania. Every match on the card meant something, it had variety and the main event was a huge moment for the company. It really felt like for all the fans in attendance they were a part of history.

In recent times, I really enjoyed Kofi Kingston and Daniel Bryan. It goes to show, when the WWE go outside of their comfort zone they can tell a fantastic story and they have people up and down the card who can still deliver on the big stage. I thought it was Kofi's best performance and Bryan did a fantastic job of bringing it out of him.

What about the worst WM?

My selection is WM XI.

-Random celebs, like the kid from Home Improvement and some guy from some cop show.
-Main event wasn't for the world title, it was Bam Bam vs Lawrence Taylor, who only Americans or NFL fans would know. His finishing move was a forearm smash. This would have been fine had he not done it a million times before then in the match.
-The world title match itself sucked, HBK was the heel, Diesel the face, but if you just watched that match and never seen wrestling before, you would swear the roles are reversed. HBK takes the Jacknife weird.
-Bret Hart said his match on this card was his worst ever. Roddy Piper is the special ref and is reeeeeally annoying in it.
-Sound issues galore

Valheru

Coach
I've also caught all those Wrestlemanias and have seen a few of them multiple times at points. XIV was my pick of the lot and for my money is the ideal Wrestlemania. Every match on the card meant something, it had variety and the main event was a huge moment for the company. It really felt like for all the fans in attendance they were a part of history.

And therein lies the problem with modern manias IMO, they lack that historic moment.

The first 20 were filled with them, Andre/Hogan, Savage/Hogan. Warrior/Hogan, Savage/Warrior, WMX ladder match, Bam Bam/LT, HBK/Bret, Bret/Austin, HBK/Austin, Austin/Rock x 3, TLC, WMXX triple threat to name the major ones.

Since then, what have we really had in terms of iconic moments/matches? Trump/Vince, Flair/HBK, HBK/Taker x 2, HHH/Taker x 2, DB at WMXXX, the streak ending. That is being kind to a couple of them as well.

Note the lack of iconic world title matches since WMXX. There has been some quality matches but nothing That stands out as a mania moment.

Valheru

Coach
What about the worst WM?

My selection is WM XI.

-Random celebs, like the kid from Home Improvement and some guy from some cop show.
-Main event wasn't for the world title, it was Bam Bam vs Lawrence Taylor, who only Americans or NFL fans would know. His finishing move was a forearm smash. This would have been fine had he not done it a million times before then in the match.
-The world title match itself sucked, HBK was the heel, Diesel the face, but if you just watched that match and never seen wrestling before, you would swear the roles are reversed. HBK takes the Jacknife weird.
-Bret Hart said his match on this card was his worst ever. Roddy Piper is the special ref and is reeeeeally annoying in it.
-Sound issues galore

The world title match is actually a 3.5 star match IMO.

WMXI is certainly in the lower tier but not the worst IMO. 4 and 9 were definitely worse.

nöyd

Staff member
May get flamed for this but I actually enjoyed WM 2000 (XVI?) - the fatal four way for the title, Vince ultimately siding with his son-in-law and screwing over Dwayne, the hardcore battle royal with the botched ending, the 6 man ladder tag, the triple threat for the euro and IC titles. Critics pan it but I enjoyed it, I think it may have been the first mania I ordered and watched on Main Event.

Styles clash

Juniors
And therein lies the problem with modern manias IMO, they lack that historic moment.

The first 20 were filled with them, Andre/Hogan, Savage/Hogan. Warrior/Hogan, Savage/Warrior, WMX ladder match, Bam Bam/LT, HBK/Bret, Bret/Austin, HBK/Austin, Austin/Rock x 3, TLC, WMXX triple threat to name the major ones.

Since then, what have we really had in terms of iconic moments/matches? Trump/Vince, Flair/HBK, HBK/Taker x 2, HHH/Taker x 2, DB at WMXXX, the streak ending. That is being kind to a couple of them as well.

Note the lack of iconic world title matches since WMXX. There has been some quality matches but nothing That stands out as a mania moment.

It's difficult to create historic moments when WWE is no longer interested in building stars and threading stories in the months leading up to WrestleMania. Recent WrestleManias may not strictly speaking be the worst WrestleManias - particularly if you watch them in isolation - but the emphasis on bringing back established old wrestlers who won't be there 2 weeks later has created a hollowness.

Valheru

Coach
May get flamed for this but I actually enjoyed WM 2000 (XVI?) - the fatal four way for the title, Vince ultimately siding with his son-in-law and screwing over Dwayne, the hardcore battle royal with the botched ending, the 6 man ladder tag, the triple threat for the euro and IC titles. Critics pan it but I enjoyed it, I think it may have been the first mania I ordered and watched on Main Event.

WM2000 is a lot better than people give it credit for.

It was one of the poorer WWF PPV shows of 2000 but that is an extremely high standard.

The reason it is panned IMO is because th emain event fell flat and featured a heel retaining the title for the first time.

WM 4. The whole tournament on one show just didn’t work, by the time you got to the main event you’d been hit over the head multiple times with both Savage and Dibiase. Plus Hogan’s crazy celebration when Savage won was a little stupid.

WM 27 for modern manias was the bust for me. In almost every match the old dog went over the upstart with the exception of Miz winning (after being the third wheel of a singles match where he was the champ), and Cody. Trips vs taker was decent but the weakest of their three matches at mania by some way. Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler went for half an hour all up and didn’t blow off their feud. Oh and Snooki. That was a thing that happened. The rest of the matches were nothing special.

Valheru

Coach
WM XV & XVI are often said to be terrible Wrestlemanias, but they were during the undisputed glory days of the business and for that, I love them.

I gave my thoughts on 16 above but it was actually quite a good show.

15 was pretty dire though. That mania was symptomatic of 1999 in general which was the height of the crash TV culture in wrestling which saw near universal poor PPV shows from both WWF and WCW (Summerslam being a notable exception).

Styles clash

Juniors
People dislike 16 because there were no men's singles matches and the bad guy with McMahons wins the main event. It's still good.

If you hate 15 you probably hate the whole Attitude Era. It was spot on for what WWF was in early 1999.

nöyd

Staff member
Alls I can recall from XV besides Austin - Rock is Bossman being hanged by Undertaker in the HIAC, which I thought was pretty rough at the time.

Big Pete

Referee
Wrestlemania XV started the unfortunate trend where the follow-up PPV actually had a better card. XVI suffered the same fate with Backlash largely having the better overall card.

XVI had some strange peaks and valleys. On one hand you get the triangle ladder match which somehow managed to improve upon No Mercy '99, then for whatever reason there's a Head Cheese/T&A match on a Wrestlemania card.

I'd much rather sit through them than the marathon shows they've put together since Wrestlemania XXXI.

Latest posts