What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fien in 2013

hardbaby

Coach
Really glad Fien is here. His ability to cover half, five eight and hooker makes him a vital component. But I am worried.

The Dragons are re-building. The focus is firmly on 2014. But for "organic growth" to actually work, you need to provide opportunity to grow. We have a number of gun young players coming through. Drinkwater, King and Style (I realise he is injured) need game time. They are the future and they need to be given a chance.

I look at Fien and the temptation to play him game in, game out must be very strong for Price. There has been a changing of the guard and this will be Fien's last year. I really hope Price downplays his role and uses him as cover for injury. We need to use 2013 to set us up for 2014. And I think Fien, despite his many attractions, is a step backwards now. Sadly I think that step will happen. He will be in the 17 all year.

Thoughts?

Breathingfire

Juniors
I think he should stay on and cover for injury but Price needs to do what Bennett did with Luke Priddis and make the tough calls and only use him when King or Rein is injured. King cannot spend another year running around in the NSW cup.

The time has come for King to take a permanent place on the bench and for Fien to occupy the 9 for the Cutters. I implore the club to give this young guy a go!

TheRev

First Grade
- Its exactly the problem with 2012.. not only did we waste a season by missing the 8 and playing rubbish football (more importantly), but that short-sighted approach of persisting with Fien, prior/scott at centre, kyle at fb/centre, vidot at leftwing.. and so on... meant almost no opportunities for young kids to get their confidence/experience up either... double fail.

- My only hope for 2013 is that Price has to succeed or hes out, he knows that so there is no point being defensive....he has 1 year to succeed... he can take risks.

- Conversely... the fear for 2013.. is that again this leaves Steve thinking 'short-term' with no regard to gametime for youngsters coming through for 2014 onwards.

possm

Coach
I still don't uderstand the reason for selecting 2014 to be the year of success. What is going to happen in 2014? Which players will we be losing in order to free up so much cash to make a difference - Fien, Cooper, maybe Soward and a few fringe players?

If so there is probably $1m - $1.5m extra to play with, what are we looking at doing, buying one or maybe two good player? And of course a new coach; but he's not included in the salary cap.

For me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think better to get on with aiming to win the comp in 2013.

Last edited:
I agree with possum we shouldn't just write off 2013 for the sake of what may happen in 2014 but if price persists in giving max game time to fien at the expense of the younger guys then that alone will be frought with danger!

Mr Red

First Grade
Fien will be the new hornby next season, we will be slamming him for playing one season too many. Alll this talk about using 2013 to build for 2014 is rubbish... If that is truly what Price is thinking then he won't be there to see 2014 eventuate...
So far I am very unimpressed with the build up for 2013. Recruitment has been poor, Price already big fails with letting local junior and ready made lock replacement marketo leave in favour of nuff nuffs like Vea... Gower gone in favour of ah mau....
As mentioned there must be dollars in the cap given who has left the last 2 seasons... Either that or the cap has been grossly mismanaged.
Still time to strengthen the squad.... Let's see how the next few months unfold.....

Last edited:

possm

Coach
The uncertainty and accountability of Doust, Price and others could disapear if there was more transparancy. I suggest that player salary information be made public for all to see. In this way fans will know what is going on.

I have the feeling that there is a cover-up at the Dragons with regards to the way we have managed the cap and what we are doing with the funds allocated to the Club from the ARLC.

Mr Red

First Grade
The uncertainty and accountability of Doust, Price and others could disapear if there was more transparancy. I suggest that player salary information be made public for all to see. In this way fans will know what is going on.

I have the feeling that there is a cover-up at the Dragons with regards to the way we have managed the cap and what we are doing with the funds allocated to the Club from the ARLC.

Possm I hope you come back to reality some day... To suggest that the general public should know what every player is getting paid is crazy... Why should they be treated differently to the rest of the public who do not have to disclose their salaries ?

possm

Coach
Possm I hope you come back to reality some day... To suggest that the general public should know what every player is getting paid is crazy... Why should they be treated differently to the rest of the public who do not have to disclose their salaries ?

Mr Red, you could apply this same question to Polititions, public servants, the CEO's of major companies etc. howver, if it is such a problem then instead of detailing individual salaries, list the NRL squads salaries 1-30 without names and include the cap total allocated and cap total not used, the cash allocated by the ARLC, the total cash allocated to player salaries for the year and the amount of ARLC allocated cash used for 'other purposes'.

This would give members and fans who also have invested in the success of our great Club via their membership fees and gate fees etc., an insight into how the Club is being managed. It would also make those responsible for the running of our Club more accountable.

jenninga

First Grade
Fien will be the new hornby next season, we will be slamming him for playing one season too many. Alll this talk about using 2013 to build for 2014 is rubbish... If that is truly what Price is thinking then he won't be there to see 2014 eventuate...
So far I am very unimpressed with the build up for 2013. Recruitment has been poor, Price already big fails with letting local junior and ready made lock replacement marketo leave in favour of nuff nuffs like Vea... Gower gone in favour of ah mau....
As mentioned there must be dollars in the cap given who has left the last 2 seasons... Either that or the cap has been grossly mismanaged.
Still time to strengthen the squad.... Let's see how the next few months unfold.....
We have wasted this season by not playing enough younger players and persisting in stop gap decisions such as the Prior/Scott centre spots etc.We stumbled to 9th position,big deal.I would rather have freshened the squad by making the hard decisions and given the younger players more of a go.
Now we are talking about writing 2013 off for this reason where 2012 should have been used for short pain long term gain so to speak.

jenninga

First Grade

It is none of our business what the individual salary for each player is.Why don't YOU tell us all how much you earn.
A total salary for the whole squad is different ,but for individual players salary to be made public is not our business.

Mr Red

First Grade
Mr Red, you could apply this same question to Polititions, public servants, the CEO's of major companies etc. howver, if it is such a problem then instead of detailing individual salaries, list the NRL squads salaries 1-30 without names and include the cap total allocated and cap total not used, the cash allocated by the ARLC, the total cash allocated to player salaries for the year and the amount of ARLC allocated cash used for 'other purposes'.

This would give members and fans who also have invested in the success of our great Club via their membership fees and gate fees etc., an insight into how the Club is being managed. It would also make those responsible for the running of our Club more accountable.

We know what the salary cap is, from a supporter point of view that is enough. I really don't care if they spend the whole amount or not, provided the make up of the squad is correct, and they address weak positions in the roster correctly when needed.
The rest will be judged via the success on the field...
My concerns are regarding what I believe to be poor recruitment and failure to address weaknesses in the roster, I don't care what they pay for the player as long as its the right player to address these concerns, and they don't cheat the cap to do so.

possm

Coach
It is none of our business what the individual salary for each player is.Why don't YOU tell us all how much you earn.
A total salary for the whole squad is different ,but for individual players salary to be made public is not our business.

OK last year my taxable income was a little over 128k, I have nothing to hide.

The point i am making is that there appears to be a case of gross mis-management with the money allocated to our Club for the purpose of running the team. I am not including sponsorship, gat takings, merchandise sales etc. We just don't seem to have the cash to be in the market for new players.

What are you worried about? Soward knowing that Kyle Stanley is being paid more than he is?

What is most important is that members and fans know that the Club is being managed properly and that those managing the club should be kept accountable for their decisions.

In 2012 things went wrong and somebody should be held accountable for what happened. In 2013 not much will change because to date there hasn't been much change and our experienced players are a year older.

Fire

First Grade
Everything will be OK.

6. Soward
7. Fien
9. Rein
14. King

(for the first half of the season at least)

I have a lot of confidence in Fein to organise and bark orders at the team.

possm

Coach
I really have to get some more chicken wire for the possm pen...

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above
Don't fence me in
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love
Don't fence me in
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees
Send me off forever but I ask you please
Don't fence me in

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I still don't understand the reason for selecting 2014 to be the year of success. What is going to happen in 2014?

2014 is the first year its possible for us to succeed (by no means is it guaranteed), the club has to mentally turn the corner, accept we need a change of approach, look to the next generation.. get 1st grade experience for them... realise that kids are going to make mistakes and that its necessary for the club to evolve.

The most critical area are the playmakers, potentially we dont even have our longterm halves in the club yet.. maybe we do maybe we dont.. Kyle is yet to start the blooding process, Drinkwater is an unknown quantity, even if they both have potential... best case 2014 they are at a point to be ready for serious finals football, Fien will retire, Soward is a mystery atm.

2013 is a write-off for me, just a chance to watch kids develop and see whether Price has a clue... the club might play ok, hopefully some youngers shine, but best case 2014 where we have a settled roster capable of actually challenging for a title..