What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fiji beat Cooks 40-4

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Naiqama stars for Fiji

October 07, 2006 ST George-Illawarra wing Wes Naiqama bagged 16 points as Fiji defeated Cook Islands 40-4 tonight to move within one step of a Rugby League World Cup berth.

Fiji fell just short of a 43-point margin at CUA Stadium Penrith, that would have guaranteed it a spot in the 2008 tournament,.

Naiqama, playing at five-eighth, scored his side's first try and booted six goals in a match that saw the surprise return to international football of former New Zealand centre Kevin Iro, who played for Cook Islands.

The two automatic qualifiers will be determined when Samoa plays Tonga in Leeds on October 22, with Cook Islands already eliminated and the third-placed Oceania team to go through a repecharge.

"We came here to win and we didn't care if it was by two," Fiji coach Arthur Kitinas, who earlier oversaw Fiji A's 34-12 win against Greece at Oki Jubliee Stadium, said.

"We weren't playing well enough to aim for big scores and now we are guaranteed at least another chance to get through to the World Cup.''

AAP

nadera78

Juniors
Fiji wait and see if samoa beat tonga. If they do then samoa finish top and fiji 2nd, and they both go through to the RLWC, leaving Tonga to enter the repecharge. If, as I suspect, Tonga defeat Samoa then it all changes.

Mind you, if I were involved in the Cooks RL I'd be looking very closely at the Samoan squad and thinking carefully about challenging the validity of their victories.

Table (P W L F A Dif Pts)
Sam 2 2 0 78 34 +44 4
Fiji 3 2 1 98 62 +36 4
Ton 2 1 1 84 44 +40 2
CIs. 3 0 3 24 144 -120 0

If Samoa beats Tonga or it's a draw - Samoa and Fiji to WC, Tonga to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by less than 8 points - Tonga and Samoa to WC, Fiji to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by more than 8 points - Tonga and Fiji to WC, Samoa to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by 8 points - Samoa to WC and I'm buggered if I know how they decide the other spot. Maybe Samoa will go through because they beat Fiji.

hitman51

Juniors
nadera78 said:
Fiji wait and see if samoa beat tonga. If they do then samoa finish top and fiji 2nd, and they both go through to the RLWC, leaving Tonga to enter the repecharge. If, as I suspect, Tonga defeat Samoa then it all changes.

Mind you, if I were involved in the Cooks RL I'd be looking very closely at the Samoan squad and thinking carefully about challenging the validity of their victories.

We might aswell just disqualifiy tonga and samoa then let the cooks and fiji go through since they keep harping on about it. Good on fiji for their great performances but come world cup time they wont be able to feild and near as good a team as both tonga and samoa could. They both be suffering massive hidings at the world cup and lets face it this a professional sport you wanna be at the top having professionals in your team helps in fiji an the cooks case they lack these theirfore will be sh*t useless at the world cup. Tong awont beat samoa going on by some reports the likes of joe vagana francis meli willy talau and maybe even logan swann will join that team there. I dont think the nrl gives a rats ass about the rulz implied in these games other wise they would of done something by now. They know that Samoa an tonga a good enough to be here and a better chance than both fiji and the cooks of doing good at the world cup.

Ari Gold

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Table (P W L F A Dif Pts)
Sam 2 2 0 78 34 +44 4
Fiji 3 2 1 98 62 +36 4
Ton 2 1 1 84 44 +40 2
CIs. 3 0 3 24 144 -120 0

If Samoa beats Tonga or it's a draw - Samoa and Fiji to WC, Tonga to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by less than 8 points - Tonga and Samoa to WC, Fiji to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by more than 8 points - Tonga and Fiji to WC, Samoa to repecharge.
If Tonga beats Samoa by 8 points - Samoa to WC and I'm buggered if I know how they decide the other spot. Maybe Samoa will go through because they beat Fiji.

Thanks champ

nadera78

Juniors
hitman51 said:
We might aswell just disqualifiy tonga and samoa then let the cooks and fiji go through since they keep harping on about it. Good on fiji for their great performances but come world cup time they wont be able to feild and near as good a team as both tonga and samoa could. They both be suffering massive hidings at the world cup and lets face it this a professional sport you wanna be at the top having professionals in your team helps in fiji an the cooks case they lack these theirfore will be sh*t useless at the world cup. Tong awont beat samoa going on by some reports the likes of joe vagana francis meli willy talau and maybe even logan swann will join that team there. I dont think the nrl gives a rats ass about the rulz implied in these games other wise they would of done something by now. They know that Samoa an tonga a good enough to be here and a better chance than both fiji and the cooks of doing good at the world cup.

Actualy, you want teams to be there that deserve to be there. And that includes playing by the rules.

the man

Juniors
they should have waited a couple of weeks to after the season was finshed then these sides would have been able to draw on some players who were participating later on and probably would have strengthened the sides up

Latest posts