What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fijian 7's stars keen to play in NRL

milton

Juniors
Another reason why the NSWRL need to get their act together and put a Fijian team in the NSW cup

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/olympic-champions-chase-nrl-gold/

THREE members of the Fijian rugby sevens team that won Olympic gold in Rio last year are keen to defect to rugby league.

The Fijians were one of the feelgood stories of the Rio Games, winning their country’s first ever gold medal and sparking wild celebrations in the island nation.

Now the trio are are looking to cash in on that success with NRL contracts – and they’ve attracted massive interest from clubs.

Masivesi Dakuwaqa, a 22-year-old winger who’s big enough to play back row, 27-year-old utility Jerry Tuawi and backrower Jasa Veremalua, also 27, all have big builds, run like the wind and seem ideally suited to the demands of league.

The trio have been brought to the NRL by former Bulldogs centre Daryl Millard, who is part Fijian and set to become an NRL accredited player manager.

“They’re very keen and would be sensational in league,” Millard says.

“There are highlights of them on YouTube and they’ve been sent out to the clubs, who have been blown away by their speed and size.

“There’s a lot of interest.

“Masivesi is very keen, being the youngest of the three, and he has already played some league in Fiji,” Millard continues.

“He weighs 116 kilos but can really motor so he would be a real handful for opponents out wide. Masivesi also has great ball skills for a big man – he’s really something special.”

Fijians have a long tradition of starring in rugby league.

Big prop Apisai Toga was a trailblazer from ’68-’72, having a successful career with St George, Canberra recruited Noa Nadruku in the 1990s and he was an overnight sensation, becoming one of the best wingers in the game and winning a grand final with the Raiders.

Akuila Uate has scored over 100 tries for Newcastle while most recently, Semi Radradra has become a cult hero among Parramatta fans.

“The thing is, there are heaps more Radradras running around Fiji just waiting for their chance,” Millard says.

“Rugby has never had a higher profile in Fiji since they won the gold medal – the players are treated like gods.

“When they won the gold, the country stopped and celebrated for a week – it may be the biggest thing to ever happen to Fiji.

“The three boys I’m looking after still live in Fiji but are looking to get good deals to look after their families.”

It's a no brainer. Even if the NRL had to help fund it. It would open up the country as a serious player pool instead of just one with potential. But it's too hard for the admin of this sport. Everything happens later.

Pommy

Coach
Why do they want to defect to league rather than go and get the big money in Europe playing yawnion?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Australia is far closer to home.

All for Fiji in NSW Cup or QLD Cup, in the mean time, come play NRL.

IntRLEnthusiast

Juniors
Yeah this is great if true, if the NRL have any vision they would be proactive in getting this happening. But.. As we know the Fijian NSW cup team has been put off for 2 years straight so maybe there is no vision!

Knownothing

Juniors
Yeah this is great if true, if the NRL have any vision they would be proactive in getting this happening. But.. As we know the Fijian NSW cup team has been put off for 2 years straight so maybe there is no vision!

You think the NRL is bad? The FRU is a 100 times worse.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Union players moving codes. The discussion doesn't need to involve any of the other sports governing bodies current situations.

League forum. Talk league.

Of course it's relevant. You just don't like that you got called out for not knowing what the FRU is.

jim_57

Staff member
Would be good if the NRL could come with incentives to keep Islander players in the game.. that doesn't involve giving them a Kangaroos jersey.

Golden point

Juniors
NRL is being used to bid up there upcoming union contract! If there get signed and become stars then they will defect for even more cash!

Arucard

Juniors
Of course it's relevant. You just don't like that you got called out for not knowing what the FRU is.
Why would I worry about not knowing what the FRU is? It's from a sport I care nothing about.
I'm more interested in why you think a RL discussion on a RL forum needs to have some union tripe brought up. Union players wanting to play NRL....... How does that need to involve any problems with this FRU thing? Nobody cares about the state they are in.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why would I worry about not knowing what the FRU is? It's from a sport I care nothing about.
I'm more interested in why you think a RL discussion on a RL forum needs to have some union tripe brought up. Union players wanting to play NRL....... How does that need to involve any problems with this FRU thing? Nobody cares about the state they are in.

And yet again you've ruined a thread with multiple posts whinging about Union when you could easily have let the first one slide and that would be the end of it.

And yes now I'm whinging about whinging.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Ironic your username starts with ARU....

God-King Dean

Immortal
Union players moving codes. The discussion doesn't need to involve any of the other sports governing bodies current situations.

League forum. Talk league.

Lol how is union not relevant to a thread specifically about union players maybe joining the nrl