What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fill-in fullback wants job full-time

raidersforme

Juniors
10 April 2008 - 10:06AM
Fill-in fullback wants job full-time
By David Jean

Bronx Goodwin wants to be the next long-term Raiders fullback and hopes to sign a contract extension within a week.Just two days after incumbent fullback William Zillman announced he would join the Gold Coast Titans at the end of the season, Goodwin said he wanted to create an enduring legacy in the Raiders' No1 jersey.
His manager is now sorting through the details of the contract with Raiders chief executive Don Furner.
"I've always wanted to play fullback and with Zilly leaving now it's probably the best opportunity I'm going to have in my career to secure the No1 jersey," Goodwin said.
"Hopefully [I'll secure] a long-term deal but I'm just leaving that up to my manager and Don Furner.
"Hopefully it's done by the week or two weeks."
Goodwin has been in outstanding form at fullback since Zillman suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first half of the Raiders' round-two win over Penrith.
He will line up at fullback against the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium on Sunday.
He said the opportunity to shift to his preferred position after playing most of his 13-game NRL career on the wing had increased his desire to remain in Canberra.
"One of the main reasons I want to stay is because I know [fullback] can be mine for the long term if I play well.
"But I want to stay here even if Zilly was here, it's just such a great club to be at.
"I want to get it over and done with just to get it out of the way.
"I don't really like it sitting around so the sooner it's done the better."
Securing Goodwin's signature would be a huge boost for the Raiders, who are already set to be without Zillman, coach Neil Henry and prop Scott Logan next season.
The club is attempting to re-sign winger Adrian Purtell, utility Marshall Chalk and five-eighth Terry Campese in coming weeks.
Goodwin said he was looking forward to playing under David Furner next season.
Goodwin is the son of Dragons legend "Lord" Ted Goodwin and his brother Bryson plays for the Sharks.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ne...llin-fullback-wants-job-fulltime/1220491.html

The guys a legend, and will be a great with the pride he is displaying for the green , Get his brother that was a magic try on the weekend

RSK

Juniors
Great news. Hes slotted into the fullback spot reasonably well. Good to see some Raiders actually wanting to stay at the club for once.

Bay56

First Grade
Sign him up now ... offer him 10% more than he is asking as an incentive for showing loyalty to the Raiders.

f**k managment cant f**k this one up can they ?? :lol:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
f**k managment cant f**k this one up can they ?? :lol:

If they pay him 10% more than what he is asking than i guess they can. Considering his probably going to already get 20% over what his worth, and 20% more than what he'd get at other clubs. But nah, lets give him another 10%..... genius.

Timbo

Staff member
He's playing very well at fullback. I agree with Bay on this one.

First real good news we've had for a while.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sign him up now ... offer him 10% more than he is asking as an incentive for showing loyalty to the Raiders.

Sign him for what he wants now... no point giving him overs when he is dead keen on staying
we'll worry about paying him overs in 3 years when every club and his dog want a piece of Lord Bronx Goodwin. :cool:

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Lol

I dont know about you guys- but i look at the team and cant help but feel where paying everyone overs... and look how well they perform! Bronx maybe be another.

shear_joy9

Coach
goodwin has had about 2 decent games in first grade, now he's the clubs long-term fullback?

jeez...

Chachi

Bench
If management don't sign him up for 10 years with a 20% bonus they're kidding themselves.

:|

In all seriousness it's good to see BG standing up for the club. God knows I've heaped a bit of crap on him in the past but if he reaches his potential then he'll be a good un for us.

mongoose

Coach
I rate bronx highly - sure he has some development to do but you can see the amount of enthusiasm and energy he has plus he seems like a big talker - something the team is lacking at the moment. Sign him long.. long.. term.

nickraider

Juniors
Great news imo. I think Goodwin has all the makings of a really good fullback. He's confident, enthusiastic and has the skills. Good to see he wants to stay at the Raiders.

He's had about two games at FB , this is his position , he is a better FB than what zilly will be , his defence has improved , and his positional play is spot on, and watch him start to chime in attack , hoefully hell be running of the shoulders of Logan and Thommo

Bay56

First Grade
Great news imo. I think Goodwin has all the makings of a really good fullback. He's confident, enthusiastic and has the skills. Good to see he wants to stay at the Raiders.

He's also a talker (unlike TC) and I'm sure will in the future direct the team from the back.

Anyone who doesnt think this guy deserves the spot should rethink .. better than Zillman imo

Bay56

First Grade
If they pay him 10% more than what he is asking than i guess they can. Considering his probably going to already get 20% over what his worth, and 20% more than what he'd get at other clubs. But nah, lets give him another 10%..... genius.

You obviously ondt rate Bronx GC.

Imo he is one of the six or so players that we MUST retain/reclaim or purchase from the 13 or so players who have their contracts up for renewal at seasons end.

Bay56

First Grade
goodwin has had about 2 decent games in first grade, now he's the clubs long-term fullback?

jeez...

have you consider he's had very few games at his favourite position in FG. The past two games have shown what is true worth is ... the only concern I have is with his defense head on to a break (something that Schif was excellent at).

matt

Juniors
have you consider he's had very few games at his favourite position in FG. The past two games have shown what is true worth is ... the only concern I have is with his defense head on to a break (something that Schif was excellent at).

ffs....you show me a kid as confident under spiralling bombs in a handful of NRL games in the FB position....with loads of untapped potential ...and i will show you a future star...

zillman at fullback..pft.

ps. well said bay.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i think bay is right, but goodwin better then zillman?
he's a better fullback then zillman, no question
but as for better player? im not so sure, i guess we'll see but for mine, zillman has more potential then goodwin.

Either way im very pleased to have Goodwin in #1 and a high priority for the club.

shear_joy9

Coach
it seems people are bigging him up so much, that if he doesn't reach their high expectations he'll be deemed a failure.

alot of pressure on someone who's played so few first grade games.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Between the two, id take zilly...although Bronx is starting to look like making a few line breaks recently..especially out of the scrum set plays.

Macko8

Juniors
doesnt matter who'd you take no more

the fact is zllman is going and bronx will more than likely stay,shows his loyalty which is great.

Latest posts