What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(Finally) Aus v Ton Confirmed - Oct 20, Mt Smart

Burns

First Grade
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-confirmed-for-next-month-at-mt-smart-stadium

NZRL CRO Greg Peters has confirmed that Tonga will play Australia at Mt Smart Stadium on October 20, a week after the Kiwis host the Kangaroos at the same venue.

After weeks of negotiations, the NZRL has relented to agree to the test being played on New Zealand soil, even though it may affect ticket sales for the Kiwis' game.

"This is a fantastic result for all fans of rugby league and the continued growth of the international game," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said in a statement.

"Many people have worked tirelessly right around the globe to ensure this match takes place.

"I'd particularly like to thank the NZRL for their efforts to ensure this match eventuated on New Zealand soil, along with the RLPA and the players.

"Tonga are the fourth ranked team in the world and have fully earned their right to take on the world champion Kangaroos."

It is believed the Australian players have agreed to take a pay cut for the test. They are usually paid $20,000 for each test match, which they'll get for playing the Kiwis, but will earn $5000 for the test against Tonga.

As part of the deal for the test to be played at Auckland, it has been agreed that the Kiwis will host Tonga during the middle of next season, when the NRL takes a break for the second State of Origin game.

The arrangement for the Kiwis to play England in Denver each year has collapsed with this year's test being a financial disaster.

"Kiwi fans have waited a long time and it's great to be serving up such an exciting schedule of international matches," Peters said of the two tests next month.

~~~~~

Excellent news. Possibly the most important Test to be played this year. If Tonga can compete, and even beat Australia, we should be in for a wild few years.

Now:
1) Tonga must play a warm up match against someone/something;
2) The Pacific 2019 Test is dead?
3) What even is the Pacific Championship?

Pommy

Coach
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-confirmed-for-next-month-at-mt-smart-stadium

NZRL CRO Greg Peters has confirmed that Tonga will play Australia at Mt Smart Stadium on October 20, a week after the Kiwis host the Kangaroos at the same venue.

After weeks of negotiations, the NZRL has relented to agree to the test being played on New Zealand soil, even though it may affect ticket sales for the Kiwis' game.

"This is a fantastic result for all fans of rugby league and the continued growth of the international game," NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said in a statement.

"Many people have worked tirelessly right around the globe to ensure this match takes place.

"I'd particularly like to thank the NZRL for their efforts to ensure this match eventuated on New Zealand soil, along with the RLPA and the players.

"Tonga are the fourth ranked team in the world and have fully earned their right to take on the world champion Kangaroos."

It is believed the Australian players have agreed to take a pay cut for the test. They are usually paid $20,000 for each test match, which they'll get for playing the Kiwis, but will earn $5000 for the test against Tonga.

As part of the deal for the test to be played at Auckland, it has been agreed that the Kiwis will host Tonga during the middle of next season, when the NRL takes a break for the second State of Origin game.

The arrangement for the Kiwis to play England in Denver each year has collapsed with this year's test being a financial disaster.

"Kiwi fans have waited a long time and it's great to be serving up such an exciting schedule of international matches," Peters said of the two tests next month.

~~~~~

Excellent news. Possibly the most important Test to be played this year. If Tonga can compete, and even beat Australia, we should be in for a wild few years.

Now:
1) Tonga must play a warm up match against someone/something;
2) The Pacific 2019 Test is dead?
3) What even is the Pacific Championship?

Calm down

Clarkent

Juniors
Tongans form players from the last World Cup have lost a bit of form... Konrad hurrell has been playing reserve grade most the year and Michael jennings as been out of form as well... Hingano hasn't played much... Tongan forward pack will be hard to stop tho... Kangaroos are the only team that can actually match them up front... But really worried by the Tongan backs and halves... Samoa showed how weak they are in the backs by Leilua and Lafai dominating them in the previous test... Awesome news for Tonga and the international game and I'll be supporting Tonga to upset the kangaroos

roughyedspud

Coach
Be interesting to see what side the Aussie's put out against Tonga..can't see it being the full strength team...the reason I say that is because the RLPA agreed ages ago that the kangaroos will only play 1post season test..so to get round that I can see them playing the 1st team v nz and a 2nd string v Tonga...plus the reduced $5k match fee and the fact that mal wants a kangaroo 'A' team....

I hope Tonga turn them over lol

Clarkent

Juniors
Be interesting to see what side the Aussie's put out against Tonga..can't see it being the full strength team...the reason I say that is because the RLPA agreed ages ago that the kangaroos will only play 1post season test..so to get round that I can see them playing the 1st team v nz and a 2nd string v Tonga...plus the reduced $5k match fee and the fact that mal wants a kangaroo 'A' team....

I hope Tonga turn them over lol
Kangaroos can pick a third string team and they'll still beat anyone on there day tbh :joy: but I do hope Tonga smash them so they can take the international game seriously

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...-in-rugby-league-history-20180905-p501t7.html

Australia will play Tonga in an historic rugby league Test in Auckland next month.

The Kangaroos will face Mate Ma'a on October 20 at Mt Smart Stadium, a week after playing a Test at the same venue against New Zealand.

9b95e42867b9754d157ec169bcaa8511b2b47d56

Making history: Tonga will play Australia for the first time.

Photo: AAP
It will be the first time the world champions have played fourth-ranked Tonga, who were a force at last year's World Cup.

It will also be the Kangaroos' first non-tournament Test on neutral soil since they played the Kiwis in Leigh, England in 1954.

The prohibitive cost of stadium hire in Australia led to months of negotiation between the NRL and the New Zealand Rugby League.

Matua

Bench
The prohibitive cost of stadium hire in Australia led to months of negotiation between the NRL and the New Zealand Rugby League.

Seriously? All that whining about the NZRL just because the NRL can't negotiate a cheap enough deal with any stadium is Australia? Mickey Mouse.

roughyedspud

Coach
Wonder what the split in ticket sales will be?? Cost 95% for the fans will be Tongan fans but I bet the Tongan RL will get peanuts..

roughyedspud

Coach
75% to Australia...just cos
25% to nz for being bullied by Australia
0% to the Tongan RL but the Aussie's will pay the Tongan player match fee

Sounds about right...

If the likes of Tonga can't generate revenue then they'll never be able to pay decent match fees.

latingringo101

Juniors
I reckon it'll be a close game, but the Kangaroos I reckon will beat Tonga 30-6. Australia have too much depth for the Tongans and their backs will out skill the Tongans.

Vee

First Grade
All the PI sides struggle for halves of fg standard, let alone test standard.

Burns

First Grade

Panther_Daz

Staff member
How good would it be if Tonga can somehow jag Frizzell and Kaufusi like that have with Fifita and Taumalolo.

8. Fifita
9. Havilii
10. Taukeiaho
11. Frizzell
12. Kaufusi
13. Taumalolo

14. Pangai Junior
15. Fonua-Blake
16. Ofahengaue
17. Terepo/D.Fifita/Mau/Murdoch-Masila/Fotuiaka

paulmac

Juniors
Anything know what time kickoff is for this game? Have a wedding to attend that day, be gutted to miss it if it’s a day game.

Pommy

Coach
How good would it be if Tonga can somehow jag Frizzell and Kaufusi like that have with Fifita and Taumalolo.

8. Fifita
9. Havilii
10. Taukeiaho
11. Frizzell
12. Kaufusi
13. Taumalolo

14. Pangai Junior
15. Fonua-Blake
16. Ofahengaue
17. Terepo/D.Fifita/Mau/Murdoch-Masila/Fotuiaka

Frizzell already picked wales as his heritage nation I know that doesn’t stop him switching to Tonga but I’m sure he must have already turned them down to play for Wales previously.