What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally getting FTA footy in HD!

Rosetta

Juniors
Well the channel has launched and one of my TV's doesn't even support the codec they are using, FFS.....haven't checked the others yet.

This is bullshit.

forward pass

Coach
This may have been done and discussed already but how f**king good is watching NRL on channel nine HD. I have a Panasonic LCD TV and it is simply an incredible picture. I can see every blade of freakin grass!

I don't have HD on Fox - is it as good? I should get it I suppose but I don't want to pay more than I already am.

DC_fan

Coach
This may have been done and discussed already but how f**king good is watching NRL on channel nine HD. I have a Panasonic LCD TV and it is simply an incredible picture. I can see every blade of freakin grass!

I don't have HD on Fox - is it as good? I should get it I suppose but I don't want to pay more than I already am.

On Fox I can every spec of dirt

some11

Referee

Fox Sports HD is very high bit rate, it really is great not having to tune into Nine at all anymore.

Just make sure you go into your TV's picture settings and turn off sharpening and compare certain settings on and off- in our case turning off pretty much all image "enhancements" made the picture crystal clear.

butchmcdick

Immortal

On fox I don't have to listen to Rabs, Gus or Raaaaayyyyy

bileduct

Coach
Channel 9 HD, from what I understand, is now broadcasting using H.264/MPEG-4 and full 1080i which is what Foxtel HD has been using for years.

If you have a STB that was only designed for MPEG-2 then it's time to get a new one.

(Edit: LOL, didn't read enough of the thread)

Foxtel HD normally broadcasts NRL in the 6-9Mbit range and really isn't as good as it could be. They've even reduced the quality over the years as more and more HD channels are squeezed onto each transponder.

The Melbourne Grand Prix, on the other hand, was broadcast at around 11-15Mbit and it looked incredible.

Last edited: