What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals draw

parrawentyfan

Juniors
A thread to discuss the finals fixtures. Possibilities etc...

Seven just confirmed two quarter finals next week.

Tonga v Lebanon or France (assume Lebanon) in Christchurch

NZ v Fiji in Wellington (huge game)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Tonga just wonderfully f*cked up the planned SFs....

Clearly the organisers were expecting "Australia VS randoms" and "England VS NZ"; ending in a Hosts VS No2.

Instead, we are gonna get "Aussies Vs NZ" and "Engalnd VS Tonga" in the SFs.

NZ are probably 1-1000 odds to win and Tonga have a genuine path to make the final.GO TONGA!!!!!

Last edited:

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Great win by tonga , it's made this World Cup much more exciting just the matchups alone. Lebanon won't be an easy game for tonga, we all know the island nations aren't the best when they are favourites and have to play a full 80, might be a huge letdown game for tonga. Fiji is dangerous for the kiwis, and png will give England a real crack

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ok, i think ive got it:

QFs:

Aus - Samoa
NZ - Fiji

Tonga - Lebanon
England - PNG

Probable SFs:
Aus - NZ
Tonga - England

Final.

First WC where ive ever been interested enough to look at these tables.

Billythekid

First Grade
Tonga just wonderfully f*cked up the planned SFs....

Clearly the organisers were expecting "Australia VS randoms" and "England VS NZ"; ending in a Hosts VS No2.

Instead, we are gonna get "Aussies Vs NZ" and "Engalnd VS Tonga" in the SFs.

NZ are probably 1-1000 odds to win and Tonga have a genuine path to make the final.GO TONGA!!!!!

This is better for the tournament. Aus v NZ could draw 40K at Suncorp whereas the match might have struggled if Australia was facing someone like Fiji.

A Tonga v England match would draw well in NZ and would be a sea of red.

Potentially both semis could go close to selling out now if those are the matchups.

Ok, i think ive got it:

QFs:

Aus - Samoa
NZ - Fiji

Tonga - Lebanon
England - PNG

Probable SFs:
Aus - NZ
Tonga - England

Final.

First WC where ive ever been interested enough to look at these tables.

That's an exciting list of semi finals. There's a clear favourite in each but all the underdogs are capable of putting up a fight. Somoa might struggle but otherwise an exciting group of matches.

Hopefully we see some good crowds for all matches because the on field action deserves it.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Not sure but I assume they would have planned for Australia's semi in Brisbane and NZ's semi for Auckland. Tonga has muddled those plans but in a good way.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
It's Australia vs kiwis in Brisbane, England vs tonga in Auckland. Unless we have a few more surprises which is likely

jim_57

Staff member
PNG or Fiji outside chances of upsets if everything clicks. Should be a great finals series.

Billythekid

First Grade
So we have:
Australia v Samoa (Darwin)
Tonga v Lebanon (Christchurch)
NZ v Fiji (Wellington)
England v PNG (Melbourne)

Very happy with how that worked out. Although Ireland deserve to be there more than Samoa.

Agreed Ireland should be there. Still I think we have potentially 3 competitive matches there and both SF's look to be competitive as well. This is definitely the best looking top 8 I've seen for a World Cup by some margin.

Should be good for crowds and ratings.

ouwet

Bench
Quarters

Australia
v Samoa (Darwin)
Tonga v Lebanon (Christchurch), Lebanon will give them a good run.
NZ v Fiji (Wellington)

Semi

Australia V NZ
England
V Tonga

Final

England V
NZ

Winners
England!

wittyfan

Referee
I
So we have:
NZ v Fiji (Wellington)

Very happy with how that worked out. Although Ireland deserve to be there more than Samoa.

I think Samoa's hard fought draw against Scotland outweighs Ireland's two wins.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Quarters
NZ v Fiji (Wellington)
Semi
Australia V Fiji
PNG V Tonga
Final
Australia V Tonga
Winners
Australia

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
australia by 30
tonga by 20
nz by 12
england by 12

Pretty much! We've had our upset of the tournament - NZ won't slip up two weeks in a row and England will be too consistent for PNG.

The semis will be genuine arm wrestles - the Kiwis will be up for it at Suncorp and Tonga in a 'home' semi against England. Despite that, Australia and England would be the favourites to go through.

Latest posts