What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Footy should be dropped

EvolutionUber

Juniors
Who cares about a team with a touch of luck over 4 weeks? The true winner is the team that finishes first after 26 weeks

ceagle

Bench
I agree teams should feel more accomplished for coming 1st and it should be more celebrated then it is, but nothing beats the excitement of a finals series. The end of the EPL season can be really boring if there is a clear cut winner.

El Diablo

Post Whore
b3x27q.gif

Evenflow

Bench
Yeah, lets forgo millions upon millions in cash each year and cut out the excitement of the build up to the finals and the month of the finals themselves :sarcasm:

Western_Eel

Juniors
I dont agree but i do think there should be a much bigger celebration to the team that comes 1st

M2D2

Bench
I dont like the EPL model at all. I need finals. Even tho my team hardly plays it.

Byron Knight

Juniors
You'd have to make sure every team plays each home and away to make it fair otherwise there will be no end of bitching. For example, Melbourne played 10 games against top 8 teams this year and Newcastle 12.

Evenflow

Bench
It's all well and good for the EPL to not have finals but it's not like they need the extra revenue do they? It just makes no economic sense to cut out finals and will never happen thank christ, or at least not in our time.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
without turning this into a finals system debate, i think when we had a top 5 system it made the whole minor premiership thing so much more important..

benefits / recognition for minor premiership include:

• 1st week off to repair and get ready for a charge
  • only having to win ONE game to make the grand final
  • a true 2nd chance
  • the winner of the comp MUST play AND beat the minor premier at some point during the finals

timka4

Bench
Minor Premiership should be more celebrated, but if they really are good enough they should be able to go through and still win the premiership.

proto

Juniors
The EPL also has the champions league, Europa, FA cup etc + internationals

Blah blah blah blah

counterpuncher

Juniors
I do miss the old final 5 set-up. Imagine being the poor PR bloke back in the day who had to try and drum up excitement & ticket sales for the "minor" semi-final.

...and the sudden death 5th place playoffs (if required), brilliant!

Anon

Bench
Agree 100% although the competition would need to be two full rounds (home and away) and teams should not be expected to compete with out their rep players for large chunks of the season.

axl rose

Bench
I agree teams should feel more accomplished for coming 1st and it should be more celebrated then it is,

Nah, because it is not a full home and away draw. Chuck in SOO and it is even worse. The historic JJ Giltinan shield is enough.