What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals poll

How far will we go during finals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eel01s

Bench
We can still make top 4. I hope we do. I think making second week of finals is a good achievement after last season.

If we recruit as well as we did for this season then we are in a really good place.

Gronk

Staff member
We can still make top 4. I hope we do. I think making second week of finals is a good achievement after last season.

If we recruit as well as we did for this season then we are in a really good place.

Is the best way to play finals to have a home final vs team 8 or go to Melbourne to play Storm ?

Yes we *could* win that, but probably won't.

Then we'd have a home final against the one of the winning teams from the 5, 6, 7, 8 bunch.

Yeah I guess finishing 4th is more fun.

84 Baby

Referee
f**k that! Finish 5/6 and have super exciting elimination games through finals!
But seriously I think that would be a better learning curve for team

Kornstar

Coach
Is the best way to play finals to have a home final vs team 8 or go to Melbourne to play Storm ?

Yes we *could* win that, but probably won't.

Then we'd have a home final against the one of the winning teams from the 5, 6, 7, 8 bunch.

Yeah I guess finishing 4th is more fun.

If we beat the Storm in the finals week one or otherwise i will buy you a case of whatever beer it is that keeps you so delusional and so optimistic about our predictable, shit show of a club!

Gronk

Staff member
If we beat the Storm in the finals week one or otherwise i will buy you a case of whatever beer it is that keeps you so delusional and so optimistic about our predictable, shit show of a club!
What part of probably won't win that storm game is delusional ? :thinking:

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Were not even a top8 team, fool.

We have had a helping hand in many games this year and a favourable draw. If any one thinks this side is better than penrith or sharks or even cowboys and dragons who are missing the 8, they are totally clueless.

If the best negative you can come up with is that we are not worthy of top 4, then you need to try harder.

View attachment 32453

Even the Parramatta Cave merkin would not really believe that we are a chance to challenge. The concept of the top 4 finish was only ever entertained because we have a soft run home and the teams around us play each other. Still might happen. Wouldn't that burn ?

Gronk

Staff member

We have had a helping hand in many games this year and a favourable draw. If any one thinks this side is better than penrith or sharks or even cowboys and dragons who are missing the 8, they are totally clueless.

Man are you salty !

84 Baby

Referee
Man are you salty !
I’ll post it here too
source.gif

Kornstar

Coach
What part of probably won't win that storm game is delusional ? :thinking:

The *could part.

Well we are a top 8 team......regardless of how shit we've been playing........

84 Baby

Referee
we still can finish top 4 but sounds like that would piss you off as your mind is made up
I think it’s obvious if we finished top 4 we wouldn’t deserve it. Also if we somehow won grand final, we wouldn’t deserve it either. In fact if we win another game, we probably won’t deserve to do that either. I’ll be amazed if we even score another point that we deserve. We certainly don’t deserve any line breaks or tackle breaks that we might make

Gronk

Staff member
If we finish top 4 I will never post on this site again and apologize to all and admit I am wrong.
I think most people think that the chances of us falling into the top 4 are slim, but if we beat the Broncos and Manly and other results go our way ...

You might then be posting under Hindmarshisgod3.

Kornstar

Coach
I think it’s obvious if we finished top 4 we wouldn’t deserve it. Also if we somehow won grand final, we wouldn’t deserve it either. In fact if we win another game, we probably won’t deserve to do that either. I’ll be amazed if we even score another point that we deserve. We certainly don’t deserve any line breaks or tackle breaks that we might make

We would absolutely deserve it because it happened, it is just very hard to believe that it will happen.

In our last 5 games we have been consistently garbage in all of them, we haven't gotten better at all, we just happened to face worse opposition but that is not our fault, we can only play what is in front of us but falling over the line in 3 of them and then one good half against the Titans and the complete shiftiest last night.

Admittedly if Manu and Sivo don't have the dropsies last night we probably win comfortably but execution is the most important aspect for finals footy and we just don't have it.

We only need to win 1 of the next 2 to guarantee us at the very least a Bankwest game, i am not sure any of us can be confident of a win before the finals though.

I still think we are unfit, we looked gassed with 15 to go and really had nothing to offer to get over the line. Had the same issue against the Warriors and Knights and just got away with the wins.

Gronk

Staff member
We would absolutely deserve it because it happened, it is just very hard to believe that it will happen.

In our last 5 games we have been consistently garbage in all of them, we haven't gotten better at all, we just happened to face worse opposition but that is not our fault, we can only play what is in front of us but falling over the line in 3 of them and then one good half against the Titans and the complete shiftiest last night.

Admittedly if Manu and Sivo don't have the dropsies last night we probably win comfortably but execution is the most important aspect for finals footy and we just don't have it.

We only need to win 1 of the next 2 to guarantee us at the very least a Bankwest game, i am not sure any of us can be confident of a win before the finals though.

I still think we are unfit, we looked gassed with 15 to go and really had nothing to offer to get over the line. Had the same issue against the Warriors and Knights and just got away with the wins.

Yeah but being gassed, lacking perfect execution, inconsistency etc etc are traits of those teams that finish 5,6,7,8. That's why they finished in the bottom 4 of the 8. Right now the bottom 4 will probably be Eels, Broncos, Sharks & Panthers. All of whom have been shit for most of the year. We will probably finish 5th or 6th which means that we are less shit than the shitiest.

See from my POV I don't mind. It's been a fun year, we have a new ground and (by and large) we've played some good footy. Indeed we have won more than we lost and have a positive +/-. Much better than a wooden spoon.

Gazzamatta

Coach

I definitely think our D has improved though. Better bench rotation and a dissappearance of the Mahoney/Gutherson swap may reduce fatigue. It may also improve our A. Such a pity we havent done more to develop our future forwards when we've had the opportunity. I think some youthful "pigs" at this stage would be a plus. At the end of the day we've got more wins than expected so have to be happy with that.

Kornstar

Coach
Yeah but being gassed, lacking perfect execution, inconsistency etc etc are traits of those teams that finish 5,6,7,8. That's why they finished in the bottom 4 of the 8. Right now the bottom 4 will probably be Eels, Broncos, Sharks & Panthers. All of whom have been shit for most of the year. We will probably finish 5th or 6th which means that we are less shit than the shitiest.

See from my POV I don't mind. It's been a fun year, we have a new ground and (by and large) we've played some good footy. Indeed we have won more than we lost and have a positive +/-. Much better than a wooden spoon.

I definitely think our D has improved though. Better bench rotation and a dissappearance of the Mahoney/Gutherson swap may reduce fatigue. It may also improve our A. Such a pity we havent done more to develop our future forwards when we've had the opportunity. I think some youthful "pigs" at this stage would be a plus. At the end of the day we've got more wins than expected so have to be happy with that.

Being happy overall with the season and also being concerned about our form longer term are 2 different things.

I am very happy with the season, unless by some absolute miracle we will be playing finals footy after getting the spoon.

Wanting more out of the team should not be a criticism of someone surely?

I am not scapegoating players or the coach, i am saying as a team we are lacking in some fundamental areas 1) our intensity for 80 mins 2) our fitness (linked to 1) 3) our kick chase and general urgency to be around the ball is terrible and 4) our attack within the 20 is terrible, i think we even know how bad we are in the 20 when you consistently see when we get a penalty on say the 40 metre line and we deliberately kick it 10 metres to the 30, most team would be getting set within the 20, very rarely do we. That is because we spread the ball so slowly it is quite ridiculous, we don't do anything at speed which is to our detriment!

People are complaining that Jennings and Sivo aren't doing anything and the reason is that by the time we lollipop the ball over to them the defence has plenty of numbers out there, we just don't make numbers in the 20 like the good teams. We rely on individual brilliance over set plays.

I would have liked to actually play Stefano and Parry last night to give some players a rest, at least then if we lost it would have been annoying but Jennings and someone else could have had a rest and we give the youngsters a taste!

Our defence also got better on Sivo's side when Jennings returned too.

I think a few good additions for next year will be the difference, we aren't far away but we need a leader that makes a difference up front. I like Nathan Brown but i do believe that while he gives his all and is a good player, he just doesn't have the size required to take us to the next level.

Latest posts