What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Series Idea

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
Hey guys,

as a follower of all sports, I notice the NBA D league (league under the NBA) has a finals series where you get to call out your opponent depending on how high you finish.

i.e minor premier gets to say which of the top 8 teams they wanna play round one of the finals.

2nd place team gets next choice and so on.

This has created big time interest, as it give an even greater advantage for finishing 1st past the post, & no doubt fires the team 'called out' up heaps.

How do u guys reckon this would go in the NRL hypothetically? I rkn it'd be great. If a team finishes 5th but limps into the finals and gets called out by the minor premiers, sucked into them. Thoughts?

Last edited:
As long as only teams between 5 and 8 can be called out. You wouldn`t wanna see 1st vs 2nd in the first week, even if the 1st view the 2nd as the easiest option.

donkey|rope

Juniors
i think its a very interesting concept.

wouldn't be rushing out to put into the NRL until we see how it matures over there but potentially a great opportunity for our game.

imagine having an event on free-to-air tv before the final series with teams 'calling out' their opponents! From a marketing and promotions standpoint it would be gold (also good for TV rights).

Blind Freddy

Juniors
It's a very intresting idea, I like it the more i think about it. But who makes the club's in house decision?? is it the coach?? the club board and CEO?? or do the players get a vote or say on it aswell??

Hey guys,

as a follower of all sports, I notice the NBA D league (league under the NBA) has a finals series where you get to call out your opponent depending on how high you finish.

i.e minor premier gets to say which of the top 8 teams they wanna play round one of the finals.

2nd place team gets next choice and so on.

This has created big time interest, as it give an even greater advantage for finishing 1st past the post, & no doubt fires the team 'called out' up heaps.

How do u guys reckon this would go in the NRL hypothetically? I rkn it'd be great. If a team finishes 5th but limps into the finals and gets called out by the minor premiers, sucked into them. Thoughts?

Mate a great suggestion, and I hate to be that bloke. But...I don't know why, but I don't like it.

I would hate a minor premier, who, maybe last year won by differential, to decide the fate. But, in many cases, possibility it wouldn't change much from the current 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 barring form.

It'd be interesting to see who is chosen, but jeez a decision could divide the players an amount. Or the fans.

Timbo

Staff member
It creates interest if, for example, the side that runs 5th had been running 1st but had a slew of injuries running into the finals and dropped their final 5 games, so 1st would prefer to play them. Other than that, selections would just stay as they are now.

OVP

Coach
I actually dont mind this idea at all. Just say 1st chose to play the 6th ranked team, the 6th ranked team might take offence and fire the hell up ... i think you'd certainly see a lot more upsets. I wouldnt pick the Titans to play thats for sure, even if they are weakened with injury they seem to fire up more than most. Could be a very interesting concept.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Be interesting, cuz say if the titans finished 3rd but prince goes down with a serious injury and is out from round 26, you would probably pick them as opposed to team that may have picked up a head of steam mid season and charged their way into 8th spot like the warriors did last year.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Only works if the final series is all elimination like in the NBA.

But as an idea:

1 & 2 get the bye

3rd selects
+ next two highest select (losers eliminated)

2nd week
1st selects
2nd selects
team unselected gets the bye

3rd week
winner of 1st selection game plays team unselected
loser of 1st selection v winner of second selections

4th week
winners meet in GF

(KW)

Juniors
Problem is, the first placed team would pick Canberra every time.

Way to interrupt an intersting thread you mug. Atleast the Raiders would be able to be chosen, unlike the also ran noughts. People like you ruin this forum.

KW