What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals: week 1 Official Team vs Broncos

hitman82

Bench
Does anyone else think that if we lose this one we're gone? A few weeks ago Melbourne and Manly looked odds on - but both look shaky to me now. In saying that - if we win it's a double reward, by possibly eliminating either the Tigers or the Dragons too.

If we lose against Broncos I think we will be eliminated, yes.

I expect Manly to lose and tbh, wouldn't be surprised if Melbourne do too.

My ideal scenario sees:

Tigers v Dragons
Sea Eagles v Cowboys
Broncos v Warriors
Melbourne v Knights (doubt this will happen but would be awesome; I still have a soft spot for Evarn and Uate is also hard not to like)

= goodbye Broncos and Dragons; two teams I fear the most in this bunch.

We need to aim up hard vs Broncos. Mannering I want to lead by example - no tentative defense, I want aggression and dominance in his game. I want Mateo and Maloney to stop being lazy in the ruck. I want Mateo to run at Lockyer all night as he will not be able to stop the offloads. I want Locke to LOWN Beale and make him his bitch. I want Packer and Matulino to bring the rage and hurt their opposition. I want Rapira and Lillyman to play mistake free football and chew up 10+ per run. I want Vatuvei and Hohaia to have vintage performances with tackle busts and powerful runs. I want Johnson to repeat his efforts last time we played Broncos. I want Berrigan and Tupou to SORT THEIR BLOODY DEFENSE. I want Heremaia and Moon to have the games of their career and show everyone what quality players they can be. I want Luck to show why he should be in a Queensland jersey next year. I want Ukuma to revel in the blood and tears of his fallen enemies.

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
Does anyone else think that if we lose this one we're gone?
Yes - even if we lose we might be in with a sniff of a second chance but IMO it doesn't matter, it would just prolong the inevitable by one week. It sounds ridiculously simple but we need to keep winning.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Maybe the midwife was holding him casually in one hand.

Mmm no I reckon she might've done some sort of hand gesture, her own version of a shark fin.

We won't be gone in week one either way, but comments above are quite right - we need to win and get that home final, otherwise we're likely to peter out the following week over the Tasman anyway.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
PW - You don't think the Cows or Knights can get up?

Knights, definitely not. Melbourne will well remember us getting them in 08 - they'll be suitably fired up. Plus Newcastle have been crap v top 8 teams this year.

Cowboys...glimmer of hope, helped by playing at the SFS and not Brooky.

I just think it's so much different than past years. In 08, we had plenty of steam up coming into the finals. 09, the Eels were going like a freight train. Same with the Roosters and Raiders in 10.

Definitely couldn't say the Cows and Knights are coming in with any sort of momentum. Yeah the Knights won pretty easily last week, against a pretty mud Bunnies side, but they were overrun embarrasingly the week before. Cows the same v the Bunnies, and didn't offer a lot against us last week either.

Haha, for us to get a week off we'd have to win, Melbourne and Manly would have to lose. If you like those odds, go to the TAB and I'll be keen for a beer or two out of your newly-found riches.

hitman82

Bench
It's unlikely but possible.
Melbourne haven't been in particularly great form for a few weeks now - admittedly missing Cronk - and Manly are missing at least 1 Stewart and Wolfman.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Definitely possible, if we'd beaten the Titans last year we'd have got the week off from 5th. How crazy is that - you're a win away from a week off and a loss away from goooone.

We're actually getting a lot of love across the Tasman as far as favouritsm is concerned. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

hitman82

Bench
Anyone know the stats on a team winning a semi after the week off? Some would say it'd have a bye-like effect and leave a team flat.

But yes, it's crrrrrazy how things can go in this finals system. Love it and hate it!

devoid

Juniors
Good point re: Knights and Cows (lack of) momentum, PW. With the Knights, I know they haven't put a performance together for a little while, but they still have been piling the points on. When on, their pack is brutal - and they have good strike. They look like being able to score more than Melbourne IMO - but still, hard to tip against the Storm. I like the Cows - maybe they're carrying some injuries, but man for man, I prefer them over Manly. Week off please!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Anyone know the stats on a team winning a semi after the week off? Some would say it'd have a bye-like effect and leave a team flat.

But yes, it's crrrrrazy how things can go in this finals system. Love it and hate it!

Interesting one, it's bang on 50 percent since 2004. 2007 Melbourne and Manly both won, 2005 Parra and St George both lost...otherwise 50/50.

Latest posts