What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 1 Qualifying Final - Roosters vs Rabbitohs: Friday 13th September 7:50pm @SCG

English Rose

Juniors
It’s a finals game ffs where is the passion? Cronk and Keary might aswell be playing in dinner suits the amount of time they are being given!

English Rose

Juniors
I know callmack1 will do a more in depth one but here is my honest assessment;

Douhei: Very quiet, position switch won’t have helped him

Johnson: Terrible

Roberts Terrible

Graham: Ok but no impact

Allen: Ok but no impact

Walker: Very quiet

Reynolds: Tried hard but defence not good enough

G Burgess: Absolute woeful 1st stint but a lot better in 2nd stint but was too late

Cook: Tackled hard but one of his worse games of the season

Knight: Tries hard but always makes a stupid mistake

Sutton: One of our best at least he tried

Sau: Not good. Played little minutes and had limited impact when on

Murray: One of worse games I have seen him play but can forgive as he is usually excellent

Tatola: Tried hard for limited minutes he was on

Nichols: No impact, it’s like he just goes through the motions

T Burgess: Actually thought Tom was one of our best and Bennett brought him on far too late

Lowe: Wasn't bad at least he tried

callmack1

Staff member
This isn't gonna be too long because I am just absolutely shattered and really just want to go to bed. There's not too much to report on anyway.

That was a long night. Heartbreaking, shattering, disgraceful night. Wherre was the energy? Where was the passion? It just wasn't there at all tonight and as a result we got completely outplayed. I don't understand how we can go from being up for three weeks and looking good again to then dish up that crap, in a Finals game where it means everything. I just don't get it. Yes, the Roosters probably played their best game of the year but a lof of our guys looked like they didn't want to be there and we got outplayed. I'm shattered.

Attack was almost non - exsistent. It seemed in the early stages we'd just do nothing with the ball and then make an error to hand over cheap posession and good field position, it was shocking!! We honestly just had nothing in attack that whole game.

Defence wasn't all that better. The goal line defence was just horrendus, it was all over the shop and the Roosters scored almost all of their tries off shocking defence from our boys. We looked so resiliant last week and then we come out this week and produce the exact opposite. Left side was especially poor. Plus the line speed was shocking and dicipline was poor. Not a great night at all.

Johnston: AJ was awful, had an absolute shocker. His first drop set the tone for the rest of the match. From there he was average, producing weak kick returns, making a couple more areas and just thaving no impact really. Doueihi should have stayed at fullback. The only positives for AJ are his two try saving tackles.

Doueihi: Not too much to say as he was okay but was hardly involved. Was certainly better at fullback. Had a few good runs tonight but that was about it.

Roberts: Was he even out there? I hardly saw/noticed him. Had the odd decent run but otherwise did nothing. It's not good enough from Jimmy.

Graham: Cammy tried his guts out but wasn't really that impactful. Had a couple of good runs and defensive reads but that was about it really.

Allan: Was okay. He was outstanding in defence, coming up with try savers once again! And then in attack, he chimed in every so often but seemed to get dragged around. I still want to see him more involved.

Walker: We needed him to really stand up and once again he couldn't. Apart from a few good kicks and due to our lack of attacking options, he was hardly sighted and hardly made an impact in the game. I think this is more down to the forwards though because there's not much you can do as a half when your pack is getting hammered and can't hold their own.

Reynolds: See above for first half. However, he seemed to come good in the second as he looked to really feed the side and try to spark something. Brilliant try scored by him. Not happy with his defence though, that's a worry.

G.Burgess: Not much to say as his first stint was short and quite bad, made no impact. However, to his credit he came on in the second really fired up and he did make a difference I feel. It was just too late.

Cook: Cookie was very quiet, I'd say he only ran twice. The only really good part about his game was his defence as he made over fifty tackles.

Knight: I actually thought Knight was pretty good. He made one error but the rest of his game was good. As always, he ran with aggression, intent and he was able to generate some second phase play at times.

Sutton: Probably one of our best. He tried very hard, his effort was there unlike some other players and he made a decent impact. His pass for Reyno's try was awesome. However, I was disappointed with the way he gave up on Tedescos try, he could have stopped that.

Su'A: Not much to say as he played little minutes. Apart from that big tackle he didn't do much. It was him that was at fault from Cordner's try as there wasn't much Reyno could do.

Murray: For someone that demands high standards, that is of the worst games he's played. He had a few good runs but overall, his impact just wasn't as great. He wasn't able to get quick play-the-balls and he made some errors.

Lowe: Was solid. Some very strong runs (especially one that made 25 meters) and he didn't do anything wrong.

Nicholls: Similar to Lowe, he came on and tried his guts out and he just did his job. A decent amount of runs and tackles. He didn't let anyone down.

Tatola: Junior was pretty good actually. He ran with intent in his stints and made no errors.

T.Burgess: Tom looked great when he cam on, a real barnstorming performance in both attack and defence as he was swatting guys away all over the lace.

We lost that in the forwards tonight. They were able to get a roll on way too easily which meant our boys weren't laying a platform and thus, nothing flowed. From there, the Roosters just outclassed us. Just so devastated as I really wanted to win that game and to put on a shocker like that in the first game of the Finals is just not acceptable. It's not good enough. I now have a few doubts about or Premiership chances. In saying that, it's not over yet, the fight doesn't end today. We just have to reset and go again.

So yea, sorry this is small but I'm just exausted and so, so gutted. I'm shattered to be honest but hopefully we'll rebound next week. No more second chances!!!

English Rose

Juniors
People can hate on Sam all they want saying he is passed it and not worth the money and yeah he does some dumb things at times but he is the only one in the pack with a bit of mongrel! Our pack looks soft without him in it!

What that game needed was for someone to stand up to JWH and to take Cronk or Keary out!

Mr Spock!

Referee
This isn't gonna be too long because I am just absolutely shattered and really just want to go to bed. There's not too much to report on anyway.

That was a long night. Heartbreaking, shattering, disgraceful night. Wherre was the energy? Where was the passion? It just wasn't there at all tonight and as a result we got completely outplayed. I don't understand how we can go from being up for three weeks and looking good again to then dish up that crap, in a Finals game where it means everything. I just don't get it. Yes, the Roosters probably played their best game of the year but a lof of our guys looked like they didn't want to be there and we got outplayed. I'm shattered.

Attack was almost non - exsistent. It seemed in the early stages we'd just do nothing with the ball and then make an error to hand over cheap posession and good field position, it was shocking!! We honestly just had nothing in attack that whole game.

Defence wasn't all that better. The goal line defence was just horrendus, it was all over the shop and the Roosters scored almost all of their tries off shocking defence from our boys. We looked so resiliant last week and then we come out this week and produce the exact opposite. Left side was especially poor. Plus the line speed was shocking and dicipline was poor. Not a great night at all.

Johnston: AJ was awful, had an absolute shocker. His first drop set the tone for the rest of the match. From there he was average, producing weak kick returns, making a couple more areas and just thaving no impact really. Doueihi should have stayed at fullback. The only positives for AJ are his two try saving tackles.

Doueihi: Not too much to say as he was okay but was hardly involved. Was certainly better at fullback. Had a few good runs tonight but that was about it.

Roberts: Was he even out there? I hardly saw/noticed him. Had the odd decent run but otherwise did nothing. It's not good enough from Jimmy.

Graham: Cammy tried his guts out but wasn't really that impactful. Had a couple of good runs and defensive reads but that was about it really.

Allan: Was okay. He was outstanding in defence, coming up with try savers once again! And then in attack, he chimed in every so often but seemed to get dragged around. I still want to see him more involved.

Walker: We needed him to really stand up and once again he couldn't. Apart from a few good kicks and due to our lack of attacking options, he was hardly sighted and hardly made an impact in the game. I think this is more down to the forwards though because there's not much you can do as a half when your pack is getting hammered and can't hold their own.

Reynolds: See above for first half. However, he seemed to come good in the second as he looked to really feed the side and try to spark something. Brilliant try scored by him. Not happy with his defence though, that's a worry.

G.Burgess: Not much to say as his first stint was short and quite bad, made no impact. However, to his credit he came on in the second really fired up and he did make a difference I feel. It was just too late.

Cook: Cookie was very quiet, I'd say he only ran twice. The only really good part about his game was his defence as he made over fifty tackles.

Knight: I actually thought Knight was pretty good. He made one error but the rest of his game was good. As always, he ran with aggression, intent and he was able to generate some second phase play at times.

Sutton: Probably one of our best. He tried very hard, his effort was there unlike some other players and he made a decent impact. His pass for Reyno's try was awesome. However, I was disappointed with the way he gave up on Tedescos try, he could have stopped that.

Su'A: Not much to say as he played little minutes. Apart from that big tackle he didn't do much. It was him that was at fault from Cordner's try as there wasn't much Reyno could do.

Murray: For someone that demands high standards, that is of the worst games he's played. He had a few good runs but overall, his impact just wasn't as great. He wasn't able to get quick play-the-balls and he made some errors.

Lowe: Was solid. Some very strong runs (especially one that made 25 meters) and he didn't do anything wrong.

Nicholls: Similar to Lowe, he came on and tried his guts out and he just did his job. A decent amount of runs and tackles. He didn't let anyone down.

Tatola: Junior was pretty good actually. He ran with intent in his stints and made no errors.

T.Burgess: Tom looked great when he cam on, a real barnstorming performance in both attack and defence as he was swatting guys away all over the lace.

We lost that in the forwards tonight. They were able to get a roll on way too easily which meant our boys weren't laying a platform and thus, nothing flowed. From there, the Roosters just outclassed us. Just so devastated as I really wanted to win that game and to put on a shocker like that in the first game of the Finals is just not acceptable. It's not good enough. I now have a few doubts about or Premiership chances. In saying that, it's not over yet, the fight doesn't end today. We just have to reset and go again.

So yea, sorry this is small but I'm just exausted and so, so gutted. I'm shattered to be honest but hopefully we'll rebound next week. No more second chances!!!
A lot like our semi last year.

Roosters just shut us down except this time they blew us away as well.

Our attack is pretty predictable.

Take out Walker - Markers watch Cook.

Mr Spock!

Referee
People can hate on Sam all they want saying he is passed it and not worth the money and yeah he does some dumb things at times but he is the only one in the pack with a bit of mongrel! Our pack looks soft without him in it!

What that game needed was for someone to stand up to JWH and to take Cronk or Keary out!
Bit hard for Sam to do that when he's constantly suspended.

Travitoh

First Grade
Souths played their final last week and came out flat tonight as a result.

Swapping AJ and Doueihi i don't understand at all. AJ to FB makes some sense but Doueihi has minimal to no experience on the wing and was exposed as a result. Plus Doueihi has been the better FB of the two this season imo. Wayne got this one massively wrong.

End of the day though, Easts are a much better side and showed it tonight. They were never going to lose two in a row.

handyman2190

Bench
Aj pushed to be put back at FB and bennet relented, a big mistake.
This one out passing dosent work against storm or roosters who have great defence , there was no plan B, and we looked busted from last week,talk about cody leaving for more money,well i wouldnt be giving him more,his first 10 games were great since then he has been sporadic,whoever wants to give a half season wonder more at 30 can take him.
We need to replace sutto with quality, he was great but he was gassed many times in the first half, if our forwards cant go forward cookie is hobbled, as per last night. Last week didnt matter to the rorters,last night did and they blew us,ill go so far as to say it will be back to back for them unfortunately.

LittleWayne

Juniors

Sam's easily replaceable now.

He's on a million, you could have signed Bateman, Fifita and Thompson for that.

Travitoh

First Grade

Sam is a good player doing dumb things that are costing South Sydney with unnecessary penalties and his potential unavailability as a result.
He'd currently be on more than Murray, Tatola and Knight combined, is on more than the current value of each player yet hasn't necessarily been that much better than any one of them when he's been on the park.
With that to consider, i would say his performances haven't justfied his salary.
Especially when he is meant to be the captain of the club!
Would he be the highest earner now GI has retired? Because he isn't in our top 3 performers for 2019. Even before his injury.
In saying that, his problems are mental imo and benefits from a disciplinarian as a coach. It's not an accident his best footy was under Madge. Seibold and now Bennett let him have a long leash and his discipline has plummeted as a result.
His best is elite, arguably top of his position but we haven't seen it this year unfortunately.

With or without Sam last night, that result stays the same.

Sam's easily replaceable now.

He's on a million, you could have signed Bateman, Fifita and Thompson for that.

Why is he easily replaceable? If Souths were to move him on they would be paying part of his salary still.

Bateman, Fifita and Thompson is a redundant hypothetical to make that only serves as a reason for argument.

LittleWayne

Juniors
Sam is a good player doing dumb things that are costing South Sydney with unnecessary penalties and his potential unavailability as a result.
He'd currently be on more than Murray, Tatola and Knight combined, is on more than the current value of each player yet hasn't necessarily been that much better than any one of them when he's been on the park.
With that to consider, i would say his performances haven't justfied his salary.
Especially when he is meant to be the captain of the club!
Would he be the highest earner now GI has retired? Because he isn't in our top 3 performers for 2019. Even before his injury.
In saying that, his problems are mental imo and benefits from a disciplinarian as a coach. It's not an accident his best footy was under Madge. Seibold and now Bennett let him have a long leash and his discipline has plummeted as a result.
His best is elite, arguably top of his position but we haven't seen it this year unfortunately.

With or without Sam last night, that result stays the same.

Why is he easily replaceable? If Souths were to move him on they would be paying part of his salary still.

Bateman, Fifita and Thompson is a redundant hypothetical to make that only serves as a reason for argument.

As a player, he's easily replaceable.

His salary is more than those 3 players.

The rest of it is up to the club to sort out.

Sam's not going anywhere soon, let's face it, but he's not offering value for money.

Latest posts