What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 3 Preliminary Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 17th October 7:50pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
And here we are, here we go! South Sydney marches on to another Preliminary Final!! What a massive week this will be for us and you don't need me to tell you how big Saturday night will be as we go up against the Panthers for a shot at the Grand Final. It'll be one hell of an occasion and one hell of a game, certainly our biggest game of the year so far and that goes without saying. Need to be honest, we've had a bit of a Prelim hoodoo the past two years which have hurt us really bad. But this 2020 side is a different team. I'm really hoping we've learnt from past Prelims and we can go into this one with hopefully a different approach. This might be a 'home' Prelim for the Panthers but really, it's a home Prelim for us because we're at ANZ so the Panthers are playing on our turf which will hopefully be an advantage for us.

It's going to be an extremely tough game going up against Penrith. They are the Minor Premiers for a reason and have won sixteen straight I think the number is. Sixteen straight. That'c crazy in the NRL and it just goes to show what a quality side they are. Everywhere you look there is class right across the park for them. Edwards, Crichton, Mansour, Luai, Cleary, Tamou, Koroisau, Martin, Fisher-Harris, jeez the list goes on and on. That's why for this massive game I don't think there's a particular 'key' to winning. We just have to be on right across the park. To add to that, Penrith will be fresh and well rested from the week off and will be ready to go. We'll be ready to go as well as we bounce into this one having played last week and I hope them having the week off doesn't give them too much of an advantage.

For us, once again we all know what we have to do. As Wayne said, we probably played at around 70% last week. That was good enough to make a Preliminary Final but it won't be good enough to make the Grand Final. We need to be at 100% this weekend. That all starts with completion rates. We simply must complete well against the Panthers or they'll make us pay, there's no two ways about it. If we can do that, apply pressure and play patient Footy (as cliche as it sounds), it will give us the best chance of beating Penrith and making the Grand Final. What's more, both attack and defence was a bit off last week so we have some work to do to ensure that's not the case come Saturday.

So yea, Preliminary Final. Massive occasion as a Grand Final awaits one of us. It's our third Preliminary Final in a row so we are on the edge of greatness or ridicule. I really feel like our destiny is in our own hands and we've got to do something with it. It's up to the boys to decide their own fate. It's do or die in a huge game, we can do this!!!

NovoBunny94

Juniors
And here we are, here we go! South Sydney marches on to another Preliminary Final!! What a massive week this will be for us and you don't need me to tell you how big Saturday night will be as we go up against the Panthers for a shot at the Grand Final. It'll be one hell of an occasion and one hell of a game, certainly our biggest game of the year so far and that goes without saying. Need to be honest, we've had a bit of a Prelim hoodoo the past two years which have hurt us really bad. But this 2020 side is a different team. I'm really hoping we've learnt from past Prelims and we can go into this one with hopefully a different approach. This might be a 'home' Prelim for the Panthers but really, it's a home Prelim for us because we're at ANZ so the Panthers are playing on our turf which will hopefully be an advantage for us.

It's going to be an extremely tough game going up against Penrith. They are the Minor Premiers for a reason and have won sixteen straight I think the number is. Sixteen straight. That'c crazy in the NRL and it just goes to show what a quality side they are. Everywhere you look there is class right across the park for them. Edwards, Crichton, Mansour, Luai, Cleary, Tamou, Koroisau, Martin, Fisher-Harris, jeez the list goes on and on. That's why for this massive game I don't think there's a particular 'key' to winning. We just have to be on right across the park. To add to that, Penrith will be fresh and well rested from the week off and will be ready to go. We'll be ready to go as well as we bounce into this one having played last week and I hope them having the week off doesn't give them too much of an advantage.

For us, once again we all know what we have to do. As Wayne said, we probably played at around 70% last week. That was good enough to make a Preliminary Final but it won't be good enough to make the Grand Final. We need to be at 100% this weekend. That all starts with completion rates. We simply must complete well against the Panthers or they'll make us pay, there's no two ways about it. If we can do that, apply pressure and play patient Footy (as cliche as it sounds), it will give us the best chance of beating Penrith and making the Grand Final. What's more, both attack and defence was a bit off last week so we have some work to do to ensure that's not the case come Saturday.

So yea, Preliminary Final. Massive occasion as a Grand Final awaits one of us. It's our third Preliminary Final in a row so we are on the edge of greatness or ridicule. I really feel like our destiny is in our own hands and we've got to do something with it. It's up to the boys to decide their own fate. It's do or die in a huge game, we can do this!!!

Hard task, not impossible.
Difficult but beatable as is every team in the comp.
Just have to turn up the energy and physicality levels a couple of notches. They play fast, confident and with energy. Clearys kicking game is insane.. goodluck Allen.
Fisher Harris will harass Reynolds all night
Walker will be running at Brent Nadens edge who likes to jam in
Api will be picking up soft marker defence (Burgess)
But later in the game when the energy levels drop im hoping Walker and Cook can deliver.
Rabbitohs by 2 in a tooooiiight one

Travitoh

First Grade
Penrith haven't lost since rd 5 and all the pressure is on them to keep it that way.
16+ weeks unbeaten all goes to waste if they don't get the result this week. All that effort, all that hard work to not even get a crack at the trophy.

They're a very good side that I've been keen on for a few years but this is easily the highest stakes they've played for as a team.

Don't underestimate the experience that the disappointment of prelim defeats could bring for Souths.

I wouldn't say I'm confident but do believe that a gf appearance for Souths is a very real possibility.

callmack1

Staff member
Fuse lit for fiery final as Panthers bite back at Bennett — no one was interested in him: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/483f4d6befc318851b74e3802832113a

From Fox Sports,

COOK RE-ESTABLISHES HIMSELF AS GAME’S PREMIER HOOKER

l the talk this season has been about Penrith’s Api Koroisau surpassing Damien Cook as the most destructive dummyhalf in the game.

However, the Rabbitohs rake reminded everyone of his worth in a superb showing in Souths’ 38-24 win to knock the Eels out of the finals.

Granted Cook hasn’t had his best or most consistent season and Koroisau is not only a big reason why the Panthers charged to the minor premiership, but also why former club Manly struggled so much in his absence.

However, talk that Koroisau had leapfrogged Cook to the NSW Blues No.9 jersey for the end-of-season State of Origin series was premature.

Incumbent hooker Cook has played behind an inconsistent Rabbitohs pack that has only his its strides in the back half of the season.

He ran the Eels ragged on Saturday night to finish with a whopping 135 metres, 41 tackles with no misses, three tackle busts, two linebreak assists, a linebreak assist, two try assists and a try in a masterclass that left coach Wayne Bennett gushing.

“I thought last week was his best game, but that was better tonight,” Bennett said.

Koroisau has been a revelation for the Panthers and will almost certainly be in Fittler’s 27-man squad when Penrith’s season comes to an end.

But any designs on the Blues’ No.9 jersey will have to wait for now. The battle between the two on Saturday night will be worth the admission fee alone.

From the Mole on Nine,

RABBITOHS MAKE FINALS COMEBACK HISTORY

Penrith beware - Souths are never dead!

The Rabbitohs became the first team to come back from double digit deficits in finals footy for over 20 years with their comeback win over the Eels on Saturday night.

After slow starts against both the Knights and Eels, the Rabbitohs found their mojo to finish convincing winners.

The last team to come back from two such big deficits was the Storm in 1999 - and we know how that ended up… with a premiership!

I wrote panthers lu a song, to perk them up so you guys need one too. @blue bags teaches us equality under the forum! Deep from under your shadow!

Souths are tricky!

My speech is my recital,
We are glad you’ve made the finals
To score a try upon full time
( uh uh uh uh uh uh uh)
Souths are tricky for the title!

Here we go!

Souths are tricky to score a try
To stay on side, to break the line
They’re Tricky ( like Trindall!)

Souths are tricky, their game design
To kick the goals, come from behind
They’re tricky!

I met this little girlie,
A flag she was unfurling
Black and teal, a Panther please
Then I started hurling!

Ivan Cleary is not so pleasing
Left the tigers -son appeasing
Now super smug despite the kid
Tik tokking- with friends and all their cleavage!

Souths are tricky when they combine
To step in time
To pass sublime
They’re tricky!

Tricky tricky tricky tricky!

Souths are tricky come finals time
The better spine
The smug to grind
They’re tricky!

Last edited:

assess5

Juniors
I wrote panthers lu a song, to perk them up so you guys need one too. @blue bags teaches us equality under the forum! Deep from under your shadow!

Souths are tricky!

My speech is my recital,
We are glad you’ve made the finals
To score a try upon full time
( uh uh uh uh uh uh uh)
Souths are tricky for the title!

Here we go!

Souths are tricky to score a try
To stay on side, to break the line
They’re Tricky ( like Trindall!)

Souths are tricky, their game design
To kick the goals, come from behind
They’re tricky!

I met this little girlie,
A flag she was unfurling
Black and teal, a Panther please
Then I started hurling!

Ivan Cleary is not so pleasing
Left the tigers -son appeasing
Now super smug despite the kid
Tik tokking- with friends and all their cleavage!

Souths are tricky when they combine
To step in time
To pass sublime
They’re tricky!

Tricky tricky tricky tricky!

Souths are tricky come finals time
The better spine
The smug to grind
They’re tricky!

Now I'm not saying 'needs a little work before we release it', but, is this a rap type beat or sumpin else, maybe I can put a few guitar chords in there - somewhere -

Now I'm not saying 'needs a little work before we release it', but, is this a rap type beat or sumpin else, maybe I can put a few guitar chords in there - somewhere -

that’s tricky bro...

D7C67ED4-030F-41F0-B501-795168EC09AB.jpeg

I think it’s a musical masterpiece, they pilfered that riff from the Knack ( got sued and had to share some royalties lol) I love it anyway, so it was fun “to rock and rhyme! “ as these guys put it.

Sorry for the worst screenshot in lu history.

Last edited:
Banger.

I'm also a big fan of Bloodhound Gangs cover

I could get to like that.

Back in the day I saw a drunken slob taking the piss out of Peter Garrett and Midnight Oil at a traditional sleazy Karaoke nite at a busy local. It was “dopest trip.” Everyone cheered when he couldn’t make the high notes, got the words wrong and fell over. He had a great night. I later threw a half filled plastic glass of beer at a monarchist folk singer at the Alan Border bar in a nearby suburb...hmmm...I had better stop there...

I love the BG’s massive hit and the film clip in France. Lol.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Finals Week 3,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Gagai
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9.Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Knight
16. Cartwright
17. Koloamatangi

No changes I reckon, same as last week.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Here's my predicted Line Up for Finals Week 3,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Gagai
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9.Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Knight
16. Cartwright
17. Koloamatangi

No changes I reckon, same as last week.

Doubt we would have changes but tbh id be happy to see Knight out. Gives away a penalty or drops a ball at the worst time. Could prove a momentum change in a sudden death final

assess5

Juniors
Doubt we would have changes but tbh id be happy to see Knight out. Gives away a penalty or drops a ball at the worst time. Could prove a momentum change in a sudden death final

I would be really happy if a spot was found for Sele, even dropping Cartwright would do me.

callmack1

Staff member
Gallery - Preliminary Final beach recovery: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/preliminary-final-beach-recovery/

Training Gallery - Preliminary Final: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/training-gallery-preliminary-final/

"We've just got to stick to our process" - Allan: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/corey-allan-media-preliminary-final/

"It comes down to having a clear head and putting the practice in" - Tatola: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/junior-tatola-media-preliminary-final/

"We love having our fans out there" - Graham: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/campbell-graham-media-preliminary-final/

"I feel like everyone in the middle has grown as a player and as a leader" - Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/cameron-murray-media-preliminary-final/

"There's a lot of belief and confidence in this squad" - Sironen: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/10/13/bayley-sironen-media-preliminary-final/

'Made for Origin': Blues contenders Graham and Crichton to square off: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/10/13...contenders-graham-and-crichton-to-square-off/

Nafedogg

Juniors
Allan makes as many tackles as most of the “star” fullbacks, only one less then “king” Gutho last week, Mansour is only making 4-6 a game. I’ve seen no problem in any of his games since replacing Mitchell.