What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First coach sacked

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agree, he got the gig after so much turmoil. Got them to 7th and 8th, and now people are saying "he had to go".

The media backed our coach for seven fricken years and still sooked when he was sacked. Morris, 2 years of finals footy, with a basketcase cap and overpaid players gets the hook.

All of a sudden stats like " he didnt win against the top sides " , are rolled out. Well guess what, neither did our coach. In fact we were embarrassed when playing good oppo.

Fitzgibbon may be the next Bellamy, or my guess with all the hype he will end up like Seibold.
Good post Bro....summed it up in a nutshell....the bottom line is their replacing Morris with Fitzgibbon who is a rookie first and foremost......you can be an apprentice for years in whatever field you choose but it doesnt necessarily mean you will be a good tradesman.......time will tell I guess

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Good post Bro....summed it up in a nutshell....the bottom line is their replacing Morris with Fitzgibbon who is a rookie first and foremost......you can be an apprentice for years in whatever field you choose but it doesnt necessarily mean you will be a good tradesman.......time will tell I guess
I have said it before and will say it again . I don’t get the love and admiration for Fitzgibbon - to walk in and rebuild the Sharks.

Crush

Coach
As a Sharks supporter I totally agree even on the outside looking in. You never saw progression from McGregor coached teams and you never saw an overall plan for the Club. With Griffin I already see something. Even this early on.

Sharks management are getting some stick from the media about moving on from John Morris but the fans who seriously follow the Club can see that moving on from Morris had to happen. Making the 8 once and falling into the 8 another year and bowing out week 1/2 is not good enough. This year would have been the same if he stayed. Also considering his very poor record against top 8 sides. This decision to move to Fitzy is a no brainer.

He is no guarantee but with John Morris we had ground hog day. But at least we didn’t wait 7 or 8 years to find out that he was a nice bloke but couldn’t get i the team over the.

Congrats Dino and the board for getting their man. A man that refused to go to the Warriors, Cowboys and Dragons when approached the last few years.
Stoked he turned down the dragons, much rather we have an experienced head coach than roll the dice with a rookie.
So far so good.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yes, time will tell BSE. Fitzy has been a long time as an assistant coach and he has had a good tutor in Robinson. He was a very good second rower and a player who gave his all and not wanting to give up. His defence coaching has been spot on. His only head coach attempt was as the coach for NSW Country in 2016-2017 and lost them both. He is a hard task master.

So yes, time will tell.

possm

Coach
I have said it before and will say it again . I don’t get the love and admiration for Fitzgibbon - to walk in and rebuild the Sharks.
I'm so glad Fitz knocked us back when approached to be our head coach. Griffin is the right coach at the right time for us.

I hope Fitz is a complete disaster at the Sharks. The Cronulla Board is a completely different animal to that of the Roosters Board.

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I'm so glad Fitz knocked us back when aporached to be our head coach. Griffin is the right coach at the right time for us.

I hope Fitz is a complete disaster at the Sharks. The Cronulla Board is a completely different animal to that of the Roosters Board.
I suppose Fitzy has to start somewhere as a head coach, but why the Sharks? Is it because he still lives in the Gong area and Cronulla is closer than the Eastern Suburbs? He prefers them to us? Well he can well and truly get nicked as far as I am concerned!!

BLM01

First Grade
I'm so glad Fitz knocked us back when approached to be our head coach. Griffin is the right coach at the right time for us.

Salty

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I suppose Fitzy has to start somewhere as a head coach, but why the Sharks? Is it because he still lives in the Gong area and Cronulla is closer than the Eastern Suburbs? He prefers them to us? Well he can well and truly get nicked as far as I am concerned!!
The Sharks are like a bad soap opera, always some drama going on.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
The board sacked John Morris to eliminate the possibility of Cronulla going deep in to the finals. The board would end up with egg on their faces and it would put immense pressure on a rookie coming to coach next year.

Gareth67

First Grade
One aspect of Fitzgibbon’s apprenticeship under Robertson is that they had the best of everything in regards to players , training amenities , plus plenty of cash to splash around for assistants and consultancy roles in one field or another .

Whether or not the Sharks will be able to afford the same luxuries is another matter , therefore his success will be totally reliant on his ability , not an oversized sombrero that worked wonders at his former club .

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
As a Sharks supporter I totally agree even on the outside looking in. You never saw progression from McGregor coached teams and you never saw an overall plan for the Club. With Griffin I already see something. Even this early on.

Sharks management are getting some stick from the media about moving on from John Morris but the fans who seriously follow the Club can see that moving on from Morris had to happen. Making the 8 once and falling into the 8 another year and bowing out week 1/2 is not good enough. This year would have been the same if he stayed. Also considering his very poor record against top 8 sides. This decision to move to Fitzy is a no brainer.

He is no guarantee but with John Morris we had ground hog day. But at least we didn’t wait 7 or 8 years to find out that he was a nice bloke but couldn’t get i the team over the.

Congrats Dino and the board for getting their man. A man that refused to go to the Warriors, Cowboys and Dragons when approached the last few years.
Losing to the winless dogs!!!
Up Up!!!