What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Saints game you went to ?

kit66

Bench
What's the first Saints game you remember going to ?

My family moved to Randwick from the bush when I was about 11 so I didn't actually get to go to a First grade game until 1971. The first Saints game I remember was a game against Easts at the Sydney Sports Ground ( where the SFS is now ). It was a short bus trip from home with some mates.
All I really remember is that it was a draw and I ran onto the ground at the end hoping to shake hands with a Saints player but there were so many kids all I managed was to pat Mark Harris from Easts on the back - like patting a brick wall. First of many trips there to watch a lot of games.

Last edited:

Luke Felsch

Juniors
First game I remember attending was 93 grand final. Someone outside offered my dad some obscene amount for our tickets which he knocked back. After we lost I thought my dad was an idiot but once I grew older and wiser I understood - I wouldn’t have sold my 2010 gf tickets for any amount

I got taken to Kogarah oval by my neighbours to watch Saints play North Sydney - estimate around 1980.

My Aunty (wasn’t my real Aunty) was a rabid dragons fan and is always heard her yelling at the wireless on a Sunday afternoon at Dragons games - seems dragons fans haven’t changed much in 40 years - just yelling at a tv instead (or tapping keyboards......) She got me wanting to barrack for Saints and took me along with one of her sons.

Sat in the stand (which was tiny back then). I remember three main things.

One was the cheerleaders. Wow. Couldn’t take my eyes off them.

One was an old lady sitting across the aisle from us, a norths fan who must have been 80 in the shade and yelling ravenously all game, her and my Aunty were an even match.

One was my aunties son who wore two pairs of socks. Saints and Norths and he rolled his outer pair up n down to show the socks of whoever was in the lead.

Oh - and the Saints won. Saints for life ever since.

Great thread @kit66

Coffs dragon

Bench
First match I recall seeing was the 1971 minor semi-final against the Eels at the mighty SCG. My favourite all time player, Graeme Langlands was Captain & Coach.
I was in total awe of the sheer brilliance & combination of Billy Smith and Changa. Also some great tough players like Barry Beath, Harry Eden, Phil Hawthorn, Graham Bowen the Maddison Brothers. Saints won and I was hooked for life attending Jubilee Oval and SCG matches religiously throughout the entire 70's.
1977 & 79 are the very best years supporting the Dragons under the old fox Harry Bath (RIP) Loved watching him on the sideline chewing on a Winfield cigarette and barking out constructive orders.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
First match I recall seeing was the 1971 minor semi-final against the Eels at the mighty SCG. My favourite all time player, Graeme Langlands was Captain & Coach.
I was in total awe of the sheer brilliance & combination of Billy Smith and Changa. Also some great tough players like Barry Beath, Harry Eden, Phil Hawthorn, Graham Bowen the Maddison Brothers. Saints won and I was hooked for life attending Jubilee Oval and SCG matches religiously throughout the entire 70's.
1977 & 79 are the very best years supporting the Dragons under the old fox Harry Bath (RIP) Loved watching him on the sideline chewing on a Winfield cigarette and barking out constructive orders.

Nicely said, Coffs ......................... No doubt, we shared many a match watching the Dragons at Kogarah Jubilee. (See Harry Bath inset.)
sh_bath1977a.jpg

My first match would of been in the late sixties and continued right thru the seventies.
Girls and vans or is it, girls in vans, stuttered / halted my presence from around 78-79 onward.

Having been schooled at Kogarah Marist Brothers, I enjoyed many a school carnival there, I felt a certain ownership towards the ground .........and still do, even though l live 1,000 kilometres away on the Goldie.

I can still see our old school & Saints trainer , Kenny Boothroyd wearing his red track suit running up and down the sidelines.

sport-r-humphries-st-george-r-league-trainingtrainer-ken-boothroyd-picture-id1078664160

The old splintered seats in the original grandstand didn't bother me either, when l watch Rocket Rod Reddy play his first game at Kogarah.

Many fond memories over a long period of time, probably why l can't remember the actual first game!
OKB

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
1985 against the Raiders in Newcastle. They got pumped but Dad got me into the dressing shed via Robert Finch so got yo meet all my heroes. First game st a Kogarah was in 1990 when we smashed Souths.
I was at the game at Newcastle in 85 too. We traveled up by train.

The first Saints game I remember going to was a mid week game at Leichhartd Oval in 81 or 82. A Saints fan from down the road took me. He had a collection of flags. One was an Australian flag in red and white. I can't remember who we played, but I think we won.

The first game I attended at Kogarah Oval was against Penrith. We got beat convincingly. It was the only game that my dad ever took me to. My dad wasn't a footy fan.

The first game I attended was Cronulla vs Balmain at Endeavour Field in 1980 or 81. My next door neighbour was a mad Balmain fan and took me along. I was already a Saints fan by then.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
I can’t quite remember my first but I do know this 71 game was one of my first with my older brother. Changa & Billy are also my 2 favourite players, Coffs.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I can’t quite remember my first but I do know this 71 game was one of my first with my older brother. Changa & Billy are also my 2 favourite players, Coffs.
Yep Blacksafake my two all time favourites still to this day. I'm sure if our current peanut coach was in charge he'd play Changa on the bench and Billy Smith as hooker due to his tough defence then switch him to lock for the last 12 minutes.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Dad took me to Kogarah Jubilee oval, late '60's. No idea who we played. All I remember is Johnny King making a break. He ran 70m up the sideline and I swear he was no more than 6 inches from touch the whole way. With the cover coming across he stepped in field and took the tackle but I've still never seen a more electrifying run.

Dad was a migrant who didn't care much for sport. He didn't understand league and he wanted his boy to play soccer, but he still took me to the best game at the best ground with the best team playing.

Last edited:
My first Saints game was a pre-season match at Penrith Park in 1968. I was 2 weeks old, so I remember sod all about that. The first game I remember is the 1971 Grand Final but I mostly recall the atmosphere and the noise - especially when Chang ran onto the field.
Probably the best memory is of my grandfather taking me into the dressing room after a game at Jubilee. I had this red & white cotton footy that was handed around and signed by Changa, Billy Smith, Barry Beath, Phil Hawthorne, John Wittenberg, Johnny King etc etc which I still have today, though the ink has faded a little over the decades. Without a doubt my most precious possession related to the Dragons.

Last edited:

Latest posts