What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Thing a Fullback Must Do Is Catch the High Ball

watatank

Coach
I agree with you about being a regular first grader. I don't think he is up for it just yet. But he is improving week by week.

I think the argument from my side is that Dugan is a better centre than any other options we have at the moment. He is strong, can bust tackles, defends well and runs a great line. We all saw what he can do close to the line with ball in hand (against the Titans).

With him at centre, I personally think it makes sense to bring Quinlan in as fullback. He provides some extra options in attack that have worked for us over the last few weeks. Yes there are deficiencies in his game as a fullback, but to date they haven't affected our ability to win with him there.

Dugan is our best fullback no doubt, but he is also our best centre. And for a better balance in the team it makes sense (at least to me) to keep it the way it is until we get back a few players from injuries. As they come back I have no doubt that Quinlan will be dropped.

Sorry Dez yeah I was replying to a couple of posts above.

Anyway, I just want some continuity and a plan in mind. For me, if Dugan is our fullback and he is available then he should always be fullback. Centre is more easily replaced and we still have options there, including players that we got for this very purpose. If Dugan is our centre, then there's more problems, probably have to release either Farrell or Beale early and also find a fullback.

Quinlan and Dugan play fullback differently and now the team will have to re-adjust whenever Dugan switches back, which affects continuity again.

Last edited:

Technique

Juniors
Sorry Dez yeah I was replying to a couple of posts above.

Anyway, I just want some continuity and a plan in mind. For me, if Dugan is our fullback and he is available then he should always be fullback. Centre is more easily replaced and we still have options there, including players that we got for this very purpose.

Quinlan and Dugan play fullback differently and now the team will have to re-adjust whenever Dugan switches back, which affects continuity again.

I agree with you in principle, but I just don't think Dugan as fullback is really a good thing for an NRL side unless it has a couple of second rowers who can play before the line. I don't think he should be your fullback, and this isn't based on thinking Quinlan is the second coming.

He looks good individually but the demands of fullback in a backline shift these days are such that he's detrimental to the overall structure of any side with a conventional modern structure. Quinlan is less individually impressive in almost every area but he's a net positive to how well the side functions as a whole, especially when you get the added benefit of Dugan in the centres.

watatank

Coach
I agree with you in principle, but I just don't think Dugan as fullback is really a good thing for an NRL side unless it has a couple of second rowers who can play before the line. I don't think he should be your fullback, and this isn't based on thinking Quinlan is the second coming.

He looks good individually but the demands of fullback in a backline shift these days are such that he's detrimental to the overall structure of any side with a conventional modern structure. Quinlan is less individually impressive in almost every area but he's a net positive to how well the side functions as a whole, especially when you get the added benefit of Dugan in the centres.

I actually agree with this and have I posted earlier in the season that our halves were our only real ball players in the team. Our backrowers, our fullback and hooker, players that we would rely on to make this work were not good enough.

But as I said in the edit (you got in before that), if Dugan is centre we need to get rid of Beale or Farrell as a centre or move one of them to fullback (or find one).

Quinlan helps the team function better but to me he has too many deficiencies in his game to be a long term option. Happy for him to be backup and playing for now but then we would still need a fullback if Dugan isn't it.

Like I said, I just want the team to have a plan in mind rather than just buying players willy nilly.

giboz71

First Grade
The fact we’ve spent the last couple of weeks debating Quinlan/Dugan simply means the answer is not simple. Even Mary probably doesn’t even know what’s best for the team.

Quinlan is by no means an elite player, in fact I’d go so far to say he’s a fringe first grader at best with loads of potential. The issue boils down to the fact that we have no one in the current team has bedded down the right centre spot. Farrell before he got injured showed very little, Runciman and Mata’utia are decent players, but again haven’t really set the world on fire.

At the same time, Dugan was moved to centre (for Origins sake) and had 2 great games playing centre. He’s also played well while playing centre at the Dragons and we have been winning. Quinlan hasn’t been great and has made mistakes but the fact remains we’re winning games, hence its confused the situation further.

End of the day, if Farrell, Runciman or Mata’utia had been having good seasons, we wouldn’t be having this debate. Dugan would be FB and one of the 3 would be right centre. And Quinlan would be a utility on the bench if he’s lucky.

As I said, it’s a tough one, and I’m happy for Mary to make the call. He’s done pretty well so far.

Cagey Mac

Bench
The fact we?ve spent the last couple of weeks debating Quinlan/Dugan simply means the answer is not simple. Even Mary probably doesn?t even know what?s best for the team.

Quinlan is by no means an elite player, in fact I?d go so far to say he?s a fringe first grader at best with loads of potential. The issue boils down to the fact that we have no one in the current team has bedded down the right centre spot. Farrell before he got injured showed very little, Runciman and Mata?utia are decent players, but again haven?t really set the world on fire.

At the same time, Dugan was moved to centre (for Origins sake) and had 2 great games playing centre. He?s also played well while playing centre at the Dragons and we have been winning. Quinlan hasn?t been great and has made mistakes but the fact remains we?re winning games, hence its confused the situation further.

End of the day, if Farrell, Runciman or Mata?utia had been having good seasons, we wouldn?t be having this debate. Dugan would be FB and one of the 3 would be right centre. And Quinlan would be a utility on the bench if he?s lucky.

As I said, it?s a tough one, and I?m happy for Mary to make the call. He?s done pretty well so far.

The possibility of Beale at FB and Runciman at left centre is also feasible but in general, I agree with what you say.

blacksafake

First Grade
Next week will be a real test as manly will test Quinlan out if he is chosen at fullback.
Manly's left side attack has also been on fire this year so there will also be a big test for Dugan if he plays centre.I think Mary will go with Farrell because of his defence & move Dugan back because Quinlans kick returns will not worry manly's defence which is renown for being one of the best & fiercest in the comp.

GT0007

Juniors
I dont think many of you give Quinlan the credit he deserves. Ordinarily he doesn't make mistakes and has an excellent passing game, before and after the line, his speed puts him in places other players just wouldn't be as does his anticipation and football brain. Aside of that he can just pull a try out of his ass and some of his flick passes are as good as I've seen in 45yrs of following the game. The work he's done as a rookie is outstanding and if you don't believe me check out some highlights I found. The break he makes on the kick return against the Bronco's and gets tackled to the ground and loses 15mtres and still catches up to take another pass of gypsy exemplifies who he is as a footballer. A few of you have said he is just average or a fringe player but I'm 100% sure they'll be plenty of interest from other clubs when his contract is up next year. Hopefully we'll have the commonsense to keep him around to replace Benji when the time calls for it. Of course there are more highlights but this is of a 20-21yr old kid who's only played 21 NRL games so not as readily available as someone who has played for several years. Also keep in mind alot of the good work Quinlan did in 2013 was when we couldnt score a try if our life depended on it but somehow he finds a way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghZxRmVZZx0&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited:

Highland Saint

Juniors
Not a bad vid GT, If he can play to that level consistently and rectify some small issues he's a keeper in my book. Honorable mention to that great shot of Nighty's running style right at the end :lol:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Slater lets the ball bounce sometimes and they talk him up as a future imortal. I agree that a fullback should catch all high balls but Quinlan is not the only one that lets the ball bounce. Very risky play yet so many players do it. THey think the ball is just going to bounce up and they can just take it or tackle the attacker coming through as soon as he catches the ball.

TheRev

Coach
Very risky play yet so many players do it. THey think the ball is just going to bounce up and they can just take it or tackle the attacker coming through as soon as he catches the ball.
They know it's a lottery, but its better odds than risking a catch you can barely get to, or where you are at the disadvantage, especially when ur 5foot tall. That's what happened to quinlan, and his choice paid dividends too, yet he's copping it anyway on the forums.

GT0007

Juniors
They know it's a lottery, but its better odds than risking a catch you can barely get to, or where you are at the disadvantage, especially when ur 5foot tall. That's what happened to quinlan, and his choice paid dividends too, yet he's copping it anyway on the forums.

I think 1 was poor communication and maybe he intentionally let another bounce, another Mata was much closer. I've tried making the point that this doesn't happen every week and he's been very good in terms of catching the high ball and you're 100% right if you don't think you have a good shot at it then it may be the best option to let it bounce. It's something we can't let go of as we were all taught as kids always take the ball on the full but thats a general rule (I mostly prescribe to) and sometimes the risk is greater by making an error and taking yourself completely out of the play while attempting the take. Not saying this was the case with all the kicks last game just agreeing with your thoughts Rev

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Adam Quinlan? Good little player? Yep! Little livewire? Yep. First grade fullback? Nope.

What's the old adage? Don't weaken one position to strengthen another.

We need a fullback who does the following things well:

1. Bravely challenges the high ball;
2. Bravely brings the ball back knowing he will be met by a wall of chasers and will probably get hammered;
3. Bravely put his body on the line defensively (did anyone see Josh Hoffman play for Brisbane on Friday night?)

Our current fullback does not have these attributes. It is time to pick either Dugan or Beale as fullback. Time for the Quinlan experiment to end.

hazzbeen

Bench
Adam Quinlan? Good little player? Yep! Little livewire? Yep. First grade fullback? Nope.

What's the old adage? Don't weaken one position to strengthen another.

We need a fullback who does the following things well:

1. Bravely challenges the high ball;
2. Bravely brings the ball back knowing he will be met by a wall of chasers and will probably get hammered;
3. Bravely put his body on the line defensively (did anyone see Josh Hoffman play for Brisbane on Friday night?)

Our current fullback does not have these attributes. It is time to pick either Dugan or Beale as fullback. Time for the Quinlan experiment to end.

x2