What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitz and Hannay

shadowboxer

First Grade
It was just announced that Hannay has been appointed as an assistant to Fitz for next year.

I asked for someone’s opinion on it, as he started a thread to absolutely roast the fella... I don’t know how much more forward looking you can get.

I am posting about the exact topic of this thread- that was started by someone else.

So, who is wrong here- Fitz or Snout? I’ll let you decide. 131 873 is the open line number.
As Alan Jones would say “my listeners are my best researchers”
Fade out to a Harvey Norman advert

Eion

First Grade
Hannay doesn’t fill me with confidence…but he’s not going to destabilise Fitz so there isn’t that risk.

Fitz and the sharks must think he can get some value out of Hannay and I’m happy to back that judgement. Just because Hannay isn’t Head Coach material does not make him a bad assistant. Id suggest a good Head Coach would typically make a terrible assistant coach. Ego and all that.

Chimp

Juniors
I’d have Mary as an assistant - he’s a really good bloke by all accounts, players like McInnes and James Graham loved him and would run through brick walls for him - might be a very good bloke to have as a more informal link between squad and Fitz.

bluefox68

Staff member
It’d be weird to see Mary in a fluoro shirt running the water and giving instructions to our (new) captain McInnes!

Tiger Shark

Bench
I’d have Mary as an assistant - he’s a really good bloke by all accounts, players like McInnes and James Graham loved him and would run through brick walls for him - might be a very good bloke to have as a more informal link between squad and Fitz.
I get the feeling Fitz will want to bring in people he trusts and knows. Whether that's Mary I'm not sure. That Adgar guy he obviously knows, seems like that's falling through.

Hannay is staying on to help with the transition, whether he stays any longer who knows.

Windy70

Juniors
Not overly confident with the new coaching set up going in to next year. Was not happy with Morris either but thought he did well considering he was dropped in the deep end with tied hands and pockets full of coins.
It has been along time since I have seen true intensity, commitment, consistency and cohesion on the field. Respect for and fear of the coach is needed.
We'll know by round 5 next year I guess.

Not overly confident with the new coaching set up going in to next year. Was not happy with Morris either but thought he did well considering he was dropped in the deep end with tied hands and pockets full of coins.
It has been along time since I have seen true intensity, commitment, consistency and cohesion on the field. Respect for and fear of the coach is needed.
We'll know by round 5 next year I guess.
Dont go along with the Fear of coach bit . Respect Absolutely ! Fear of doing poorly and failing sure , but succesfull coaches are approachable and should be seen as mentors that will help them to acheive their goals as much as they can . Everything I hear and read about Bellamy , Bennett , Flanno , Robinson , etc , says the players love them . Not Fear them .... Now fitness trainers , team leaders, and defensive coaches ??? Maybe a different story.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Agree. I think he would be a great addition.

Special K

Coach
Ciraldo was loyal to his word with the Panthers. I wouldn't put it past him to cover over at the end of next year and take Hannays gig if he isn't already a HC.

Last time we took on a sacked Goons coach as assistant it turned out ok.
Yeah but Price had also been an assistant to Bennett and endorsed by him. Bennett never let Mary near the place when he was in charge, the way they played when the Dragons were coached by McGregor showed why Bennett didnt want him there.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Yeah but Price had also been an assistant to Bennett and endorsed by him. Bennett never let Mary near the place when he was in charge, the way they played when the Dragons were coached by McGregor showed why Bennett didnt want him there.
Yeah I get what you’re saying but the Goons have been a dead-set rabble for the last decade….Bellyache couldn’t have even helped that shit show.

Last edited:

Stake Removed

First Grade
The board at Goons is terrible, Mary comes over as a decent guy, he would have coached them as he played at Steelers.
I think him and Fitz would be a good team

Chimp

Juniors
And Mary did get them playing decent footy at times - they were May Premiers numerous times, so he obviously has some nouse.