What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy and Chequebook at the world cup?

half

Coach
i think there are some players in the aussie union team who would do pretty well in league: sailor, tuqiri, rogers

lol

There's be a few good buys there if you look through Georgia, Uruguay, Upper Volta etc. Have to be better than chasing Manly and Wests cast offs. Although, I hear you chased Willie Manu but he wanted to go somewhere with a future...

Get big D onto it and he can Brian Jackson it for you. That way, we can get N. Hindmarsh off you for 2005 becuase you can't afford him under the cap.

The Colonel

Immortal
The Union players are exempt from the salary cap still. This would be good. I wouldn't mind seeing the winger from England on the Eels flanks - Ben Cohen. Even Phil Waugh wouldn't be bad either.

half

Coach
i thought the exemption only applied to players under a certain age, perhaps 20

The Colonel

Immortal
According to the Daily Tele and the SMH union players are all exempt - there is no age limit.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the Fijian or Samoan flankers in the back or front row? I have always been a big fan of Fenukitau from Tonga as well.

Another one to have a look at is Taylor the Scottish flanker - powerful ball runner and his defence for a Union player is rather good. Makes a few league players look small too.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
According to the Daily Tele and the SMH union players are all exempt - there is no age limit.

That being said I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of the Fijian or Samoan flankers in the back or front row? I have always been a big fan of Fenukitau from Tonga as well.

Another one to have a look at is Taylor the Scottish flanker - powerful ball runner and his defence for a Union player is rather good. Makes a few league players look small too.

I thought they had to be under 21 to be exempt :?

Anyway Dennis should do some serious shopping.....there's an abundance of talent spread through out the world cup & after the conclusion to this tournement alot of these players will need to sustain there financial situation.....i was reading the Argentine governing body has a set budget of 2 million dollars a year??.....if so alot of these players would be inticed to RL if it means greater financial incentives.

As for the Pacific teams......many do have commitments with Super 12 sides but??....the majority don't & have loads of talent, size, speed etc!!, clearly these players have the potential to be great RL players!!

I would be surprised if some purchases weren't made.....Parra should be carefull though as many of the players in the World cup....even though may be great players in there own right they may not necasarily be good RL players....the fitness component of Union is no where near the level of RL players.

RL is more simplistic aswell.....it's no where near as technically orientated as a Union game.....and once the players are enticed to the game...they won't go back to Union as they will realise the better product.

The Colonel

Immortal
They'd have to be careful - but the wing and centre despite the defense is pretty similar. Ben Cohen or Doug Howlett would be fantastic on the wing in a blue and gold jersey (whatever it looks like next year) especially Cohen. He would be like an extra backrower and would go well outside Jamie....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Interresting to see Manly mentioned in the article.

I guess they think that it cheaper to buy them from Union than from Parramatta.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Colonel Eel said:
They'd have to be careful - but the wing and centre despite the defense is pretty similar. Ben Cohen or Doug Howlett would be fantastic on the wing in a blue and gold jersey (whatever it looks like next year) especially Cohen. He would be like an extra backrower and would go well outside Jamie....

I think we can honestly forget about the likes Howlett!.....would be a magnificent player in League but??...his contract with NZRU would be worth IMO atleast $500,000 including sponsersips....and that's not including the financial incentives from this world cup which to my way of thinking if they win....an extra $250,000 to each player!!!

Ben Cohen....another good player but??...as again would be on a stack of money by the English Rugby Union & his Zurich premiership side (I think Leicester)......and you also have to consider the Aus Dollar factor aswell...i think yesterday a pound was fetching 40.4 Aus cents.

I think our best bet & priority for that matter has to be with the pacific teams, Argentinian & maybe Italian sides....the Pacifc is a gold mine for talent and im surprised many NRL sides imparticular Parramatta haven't shown a stronger emphasis to enticing this talent to our Great game.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think I'd be criticised, but how about that Canadian fly-half?

I can't for the life of me remember his name now, but he can kick goals (he is very good at this; I've seen him play before) and he has a great boot in play as well. Great vision and running. Strong defence.

We could use him off the bench or something.

Or how about Rupeni Caucanibuca? That guy, although he lacks discipline, is AWESOME.

Come to think of it, I think if we did sign a Union player, a French player wouldn't go astray - they play a very league-like game (their fly-half always kicks it crossfield to his wingers to gain metres). Galthie?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Twizzle said:
Interresting to see Manly mentioned in the article.

I guess they think that it cheaper to buy them from Union than from Parramatta.

Manly should be worrying more about playing there former players then running around like a bunch of tarts...enticing men to there shores :lol:

Manly don't even have the money fullfill there 3.25 million dollar salary cap.....im sure they only spent roughly 2.5 of it this year??

Misty Bee

First Grade
If the exemption is still on,it will be more than just Parra and Manly waving the cash aruond.Expect Canterbury and Easts to be in there, and maybe the Faiders and Broncos as well. And Penrith. Possibly the Dragons. Definitely the Warriors, almost definitely the Tigers.

It would be quite funny for Union's most glittering prize, and the most hyped non Olympic event ni Australia's history, to be the perfect shopping market for rich NRL clubs.

Can't wait to see John O'Neill when blokes like Fitzy, Politis, Wayne Bennet, Eric Watson et al turn up to the dressing rooms!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Eelementary said:
I think I'd be criticised, but how about that Canadian fly-half?

I can't for the life of me remember his name now, but he can kick goals (he is very good at this; I've seen him play before) and he has a great boot in play as well. Great vision and running. Strong defence.

We could use him off the bench or something.

Or how about Rupeni Caucanibuca? That guy, although he lacks discipline, is AWESOME.

Come to think of it, I think if we did sign a Union player, a French player wouldn't go astray - they play a very league-like game (their fly-half always kicks it crossfield to his wingers to gain metres). Galthie?

Yeah i know who your talking about....i can't remember his name either but the boy can play!....he would be on peanuts with the canadian Eugby Union & have a day job.

You will probably find that most French Union players where once League players....thrown massive money & enticed from League.

That's the massive dilema with the French Rugby League game..they develop the talent and then Union comes along and still's them away......not to mention previous governments destroying League as it was seen as a threat to Union & a threat to previous governments policies!!

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
If the exemption is still on,it will be more than just Parra and Manly waving the cash aruond.Expect Canterbury and Easts to be in there, and maybe the Faiders and Broncos as well. And Penrith. Possibly the Dragons. Definitely the Warriors, almost definitely the Tigers.

It would be quite funny for Union's most glittering prize, and the most hyped non Olympic event ni Australia's history, to be the perfect shopping market for rich NRL clubs.

Can't wait to see John O'Neill when blokes like Fitzy, Politis, Wayne Bennet, Eric Watson et al turn up to the dressing rooms!

Thre exemption is still on..and your right i'd say the likes of the Bulldogs & Roosters would be signing many players on stage at this cup....imparticular Canterbury who have always shown a strong emphasis to enticeing talent from the pacific region to RL.

It is a over hyped, over priced, over rated tournament and i feel the like of Tuquiri & others will definately be looking at the path of RL again.

John O Neil faces a massive dilema when there's a mass exodus of players to League next year & year after :lol:

The Colonel

Immortal
In all honesty I would approach a few of the blokes who were not picked.

Scott Staniforth - he is an exceptional winger, very quick and great hands. Seems to have been overlooked with the Waratahs for next year as well.

Tui Talaia - centre, wing fullback - small but explosive speed.

Ed Carter - fullback - he weighs in at 105kg's however and from all accounts is extremely quick and strong.

These three play with the Waratahs but I don't think would cost that much with the fact that Rogers and Tuqiri are playing in their positions.

A couple of the Fijians would be good too...

The backs seem to make the easiest transition to league aside from Ray Price and Ben Kennedy.

half

Coach
i don't see how you guys can be naming so many players

talent-wise, the wallabies look pretty ordinary compared to most nrl club sides. and when you consider the wallabies beat most other nations, surely hardly any of these players can be considered strong league prospects - if any at all

The Colonel

Immortal
Looking at Rugby Union as a whole under a system of hybrid rules most NRL league teams would compete on an even basis with the some of the top Union sides.

The Kangaroos as a unit - not the current team but one consisting of the 19 players that have stood down through injury and what not would easily win the World Cup played under hybrid rules. Throw in lineouts, rucks and mauls and contested scrums they would struggle - completely different rules.

However, given the state of Australian Rugby Union at the moment I think many of the players who were overlooked would have made for a stronger team. Talent wise players like Giffin, Dunning, Baxter and Cannon are more suited to Union however someone like Waugh, Smith, Lyons, Larkham or Mortlock would excel in league without a doubt. Much like someone like Paul Kelly or Laurie Daley would excel if they swapped from League to AFL - Kelly was quite a decent halfback in Wagga before taking up AFL.

In the past players such as O'Connor, Thornett, Summons, Mossop, Lewis, Stuart, Gourley, Kennedy, Price, Fairfax etc. have come across from Union and made a good fist of the conversion going on to play for Australia.

Garrick Morgan, Tiann Strauss, Brett Papworth and Anthony Herbert have been notable players who have suffered from switching codes and have returned.

Lesser names such as Jorgensen, Junee, Harris, Andrew Walker, Andrew Leeds etc have all been great club footballers after switching codes.

There are some exceptional footballers playing for quite a few of the different nations who come from League and would have no problem coming back. There are also players who would perform quite well if they did decide to switch codes. Its not so much the combined talent but the individual footballers......

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
half-man said:
i don't see how you guys can be naming so many players

talent-wise, the wallabies look pretty ordinary compared to most nrl club sides. and when you consider the wallabies beat most other nations, surely hardly any of these players can be considered strong league prospects - if any at all

I agree with HM.

There is no stand out players, such as a Campo or Tim Horan in the Aussie team.

We want another Dick Thornett, who player Union and RL for Oz.

I think the best that Fitzy and Co would be looking for, would be a "bargain buy", as the article says, which would would give more fringe players than we already have.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
OK heres the plan. We send our entire First Grade squad off to play union in 2004. Doesn't matter who they play for, any local club will do. We put our Reserve Graders up into First Grade for the year. Then in 2005 we offer the former First Grade players (who are now union players) big money to come back to Parra. They all come back exempt from the salary cap and we still have $3.25 million to spend on more players. Thats it I'm calling Dennis right now. :D