What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitzy's league Sledge

gUt

Coach
RECIPE

Take one self absorbed narcissistic elbow patched twat

Combine in a bowl with the most boring sport known to man

Mix in anxiety & a splash of delusion

Add one bucketful of waffle

Saute with a large volume of jealousy & spite

Serve up with a generous sprinkling of irrelevance

And there you have it…….My FitzFried Fookw!t Flambe

Missing a secret ingredient.. how about a red hanky on top for garnish

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/postma...hasing-baggy-green-dream-20200417-p54kxx.html

Burst bubbles

The idea of bringing back the NRL in late May, three days before the official start of the winter flu season, followed by the AFL a month or so later when it will be in full swing? Funny you should ask. Sports Illustrated had a close look at it this week, with the idea of putting American sports stars of the NBA, NFL and MLB in “biodomes” – our version of sealed bubbles.

Advertisement
They wrote: “What if the person delivering groceries to the biodome walks by someone who coughs on the lettuce and a week later, a player tests positive? Is there an option other than shutting down the whole operation for 14 days? “‘No,’’ says infectious diseases expert at Washington University Carl Bergstrom. “And that’s really the end of the conversation. Even if we can start this, we almost certainly can’t finish it. Just look at South Korea and Japan, which both believed they had the outbreak under control and have since pushed back the start dates of their professional baseball seasons. In response to ESPN’s reporting on the MLB biodome scenario this week, former Medicare and Medicaid head Andy Slavitt tweeted, ‘‘I’m as big a sports fan as anybody, but this is reckless. Leagues need to follow the science & do the right thing.”

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2020
'You could lose your eye': Sam Burgess opens up on grand final injury
Win game or lose eye?

Here is Sam Burgess on what a doctor told him at half-time of the 2014 grand final, after he smashed his face in the opening hit-up against James Graham’s head: “He said, ‘Well I just need you to warn you that you could lose your eye if you take a collision to it. And don’t blow your nose.’ I said, ‘No problem’.” I defer to my legal betters. If the doctor knew it was that bad, was there not a duty of care to take him off the field?

Life and mass death
You have to admire, yes, the straightforwardness of Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk in these times of the plague? While our own Deputy Premier John Barilaro carries on as if the only thing that counts is getting rugby league players back on the paddock, and bugger the risk to public health, Palaszcczuk has been the grown-up in the room. Her words were more elegant than this, but they boiled down to: “Are you freaking kidding? On a matters of life and death – life and mass death – we are not fooling around on this. We’re not shutting down everything else, including industries that employ tens of thousands, and opening up league just because you miss your footy. Closed borders means just that, so you can start with no State of Origin this year, because our players aren’t going to come across the border to get your poxy NSW germs.”

RELATED ARTICLE

STATE OF ORIGIN
Queensland Premier hopes State of Origin isn't played in 2020
Still, I liked the solution proffered by former Wallaby hooker Bernie Carberry, sent to me an in an email this week. “Just build a field on the NSW/QLD border. The halfway line is the state border. The referee can keep teams in their own half/state. The only way to score points is by field goals kicked from your own half/state.”

Yes, friends. An entire match made from long-distance golden points! It just might work.

Fantasy island
Oh stop it. I know, I know. The NRL are going to prove to the government how they can make their work environment safe for their workers, the players, to play and work in. That’ll be great. While the rest of us have to stay 1.5 metres from each other at all times, wash our hands and all the rest, the NRL will show – and the government will nod in approval, while still wagging its stern finger at us – how that should apply to everyone else, except two teams sweating all over each other for 80 minutes. And then – no, seriously I said– the government will explain how the rest of us should not be complacent about relaxing a culture of social distance, even though the television will be filled with league being back on. I repeat.

The only way it could work would be for either genuine total isolation on a resort island or ... what goes for rugby league goes for everyone

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/postma...hasing-baggy-green-dream-20200417-p54kxx.html

Burst bubbles

The idea of bringing back the NRL in late May, three days before the official start of the winter flu season, followed by the AFL a month or so later when it will be in full swing? Funny you should ask. Sports Illustrated had a close look at it this week, with the idea of putting American sports stars of the NBA, NFL and MLB in “biodomes” – our version of sealed bubbles.

Advertisement
They wrote: “What if the person delivering groceries to the biodome walks by someone who coughs on the lettuce and a week later, a player tests positive? Is there an option other than shutting down the whole operation for 14 days? “‘No,’’ says infectious diseases expert at Washington University Carl Bergstrom. “And that’s really the end of the conversation. Even if we can start this, we almost certainly can’t finish it. Just look at South Korea and Japan, which both believed they had the outbreak under control and have since pushed back the start dates of their professional baseball seasons. In response to ESPN’s reporting on the MLB biodome scenario this week, former Medicare and Medicaid head Andy Slavitt tweeted, ‘‘I’m as big a sports fan as anybody, but this is reckless. Leagues need to follow the science & do the right thing.”

RELATED ARTICLE

NRL 2020
'You could lose your eye': Sam Burgess opens up on grand final injury
Win game or lose eye?

Here is Sam Burgess on what a doctor told him at half-time of the 2014 grand final, after he smashed his face in the opening hit-up against James Graham’s head: “He said, ‘Well I just need you to warn you that you could lose your eye if you take a collision to it. And don’t blow your nose.’ I said, ‘No problem’.” I defer to my legal betters. If the doctor knew it was that bad, was there not a duty of care to take him off the field?

Life and mass death
You have to admire, yes, the straightforwardness of Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk in these times of the plague? While our own Deputy Premier John Barilaro carries on as if the only thing that counts is getting rugby league players back on the paddock, and bugger the risk to public health, Palaszcczuk has been the grown-up in the room. Her words were more elegant than this, but they boiled down to: “Are you freaking kidding? On a matters of life and death – life and mass death – we are not fooling around on this. We’re not shutting down everything else, including industries that employ tens of thousands, and opening up league just because you miss your footy. Closed borders means just that, so you can start with no State of Origin this year, because our players aren’t going to come across the border to get your poxy NSW germs.”

RELATED ARTICLE

STATE OF ORIGIN
Queensland Premier hopes State of Origin isn't played in 2020
Still, I liked the solution proffered by former Wallaby hooker Bernie Carberry, sent to me an in an email this week. “Just build a field on the NSW/QLD border. The halfway line is the state border. The referee can keep teams in their own half/state. The only way to score points is by field goals kicked from your own half/state.”

Yes, friends. An entire match made from long-distance golden points! It just might work.

Fantasy island
Oh stop it. I know, I know. The NRL are going to prove to the government how they can make their work environment safe for their workers, the players, to play and work in. That’ll be great. While the rest of us have to stay 1.5 metres from each other at all times, wash our hands and all the rest, the NRL will show – and the government will nod in approval, while still wagging its stern finger at us – how that should apply to everyone else, except two teams sweating all over each other for 80 minutes. And then – no, seriously I said– the government will explain how the rest of us should not be complacent about relaxing a culture of social distance, even though the television will be filled with league being back on. I repeat.

The only way it could work would be for either genuine total isolation on a resort island or ... what goes for rugby league goes for everyone

Oi, Fitz. How is Union going?

Oh, thats right.
tenor.gif

someone please send this to Uncle Pete on his twitter page

World Rugby has begun an investigation into the chairman of the Fiji Rugby Union (FRU), which has backed Sir Bill Beaumont's bid for re-election as boss of the world game.

Francis Kean is under pressure to stand down amid accusations of homophobia and discrimination, as revealed by the Sunday Times.

The allegations against Kean, who was convicted of manslaughter in 2007, are being taken "extremely seriously" by World Rugby, the sport's governing body.

The FRU seconded Beaumont's nomination to stand again as World Rugby chairman.
  • Kean is also attempting to seck - Beaumontcure a place on World Rugby's executive committee, but is now under pressure to withdraw from that process.

World Rugby has stressed that Beaumont's nomination came from the Fiji Rugby Union, rather than from the chairman individually.

However this development threatens to disrupt his campaign, with Beaumont and rival Agustin Pichot entering their final week of campaigning before the vote opens on 27 April.

"World Rugby notes allegations in the UK Sunday Times about Fiji Rugby Union chairman Ratu Vilikesa Bulewa Francis Kean and takes them extremely seriously," a statement said.

"Rugby is a sport built on strong and inclusive values and World Rugby does not in any way condone any abusive or discriminatory behaviour, as outlined within its bye-laws.

"World Rugby is currently in dialogue with the Fiji Rugby Union about the nature of the allegations and it would be inappropriate to further comment at this time."

Kean currently represents Fiji on the World Rugby council.

World Rugby say a place on the council is awarded to the Union - in this case the FRU - rather than any individual, and that Fiji met the relevant criteria under the revised governance process launched in November 2015.

Beaumont has pledged a full governance review if he is re-elected, including a 'fit and proper persons' test.

The election result will be confirmed at a World Rugby council meeting on 12 May.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52346900

So many points, so little time!

As this goes to press the NRL is still resolute on restarting the comp on May 28 even as every other industry involving close contact is shut down. They will, we are assured, wash their hands both before and afterwards.
In response to the NRL's insistence, however, both the Queensland and Victorian premiers have been clear: “Not on your Nelly.” With commendable leadership they have dismissed it out of hand and Channel Nine – a little late in the piece and maybe for not entirely the same reasons – is also not convinced.
Who is missing right now is the NSW government. I think. For I cannot follow it. I believe we had, yes, the Police Commissioner signing a letter saying it was OK? Or maybe that was the Health Minister signing a letter giving a big tick to the police force?
The point is, where are you, Premier Gladys?
Does this get the go-ahead, or not? Are some people going to be still banned from seeing Grandma through anything bar a centimetre of glass, while others are not allowed to even attend the funerals of their nearest and dearest, but . . .
But it is OK for the rugby league lads to wrestle sweat and burst breath all over each other for five or six days a week, before they go home to their families? Is that your position? If so, I respectfully ask:
What is your own case for rugby league exceptionalism?
If it is good enough for them, why is it not good enough for the rest of us?
Personally, this seems to me to be absolute madness, Premier. If you are going to open things up, so be it. But giving the green light to rugby league while the rest of us will have been stuck on red at the traffic lights for the past two months seems to be taking an insane and unnecessary risk.

99329e40d2959f9f22e7182ff080cb1da96de0c1

Essentially, the NRL chair Peter V’landys is arguing the case of rugby league exceptionalism, that the social isolation rules that apply to everyone else should not apply to them.CREDIT:JOHN SHAKESPEARE
With the admittedly huge exception of the Ruby Princess, your government has done well on coronavirus. But are you really going to be forcing the resignation of your own Minister, Don Harwin, and nailing a $1000 fine to his head, just for going to his own holiday home on the Central Coast – you negligent bastard, how dare you!? – while saying that from late next week the leaguies are good to start training? We know rugby league has sway in this town, but does it have that much sway?
That would be like saying proper resources for community and kids sport can get nicked, while we put billions of dollars to stadiums for rugby league and . . .
And, oh, wait!
Gladys, it is a nonsense, and you must know it. If you give the green light to league, you must give the green light to us all. If that is the case, can we all be told, too?
At the very least you, and the NRL, have to make a compelling case for rugby league exceptionalism. Right now, it ain’t obvious.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-it-s-high-time-gladys-put-the-nrl-in-its-place-20200424-p54n1f.html

Peter V’landys. His psychological grip on the denizens of rugby league seems to have strengthened in recent weeks. Odd that a bloke unknown to the broad mass of the league community – at least as a football figure – until a couple of years ago should now be the one laying down the law and cracking the whip even to people who’ve been in the game for 40 years!

taipan

Referee
So many points, so little time!

As this goes to press the NRL is still resolute on restarting the comp on May 28 even as every other industry involving close contact is shut down. They will, we are assured, wash their hands both before and afterwards.
In response to the NRL's insistence, however, both the Queensland and Victorian premiers have been clear: “Not on your Nelly.” With commendable leadership they have dismissed it out of hand and Channel Nine – a little late in the piece and maybe for not entirely the same reasons – is also not convinced.
Who is missing right now is the NSW government. I think. For I cannot follow it. I believe we had, yes, the Police Commissioner signing a letter saying it was OK? Or maybe that was the Health Minister signing a letter giving a big tick to the police force?
The point is, where are you, Premier Gladys?
Does this get the go-ahead, or not? Are some people going to be still banned from seeing Grandma through anything bar a centimetre of glass, while others are not allowed to even attend the funerals of their nearest and dearest, but . . .
But it is OK for the rugby league lads to wrestle sweat and burst breath all over each other for five or six days a week, before they go home to their families? Is that your position? If so, I respectfully ask:
What is your own case for rugby league exceptionalism?
If it is good enough for them, why is it not good enough for the rest of us?
Personally, this seems to me to be absolute madness, Premier. If you are going to open things up, so be it. But giving the green light to rugby league while the rest of us will have been stuck on red at the traffic lights for the past two months seems to be taking an insane and unnecessary risk.

99329e40d2959f9f22e7182ff080cb1da96de0c1

Essentially, the NRL chair Peter V’landys is arguing the case of rugby league exceptionalism, that the social isolation rules that apply to everyone else should not apply to them.CREDIT:JOHN SHAKESPEARE
With the admittedly huge exception of the Ruby Princess, your government has done well on coronavirus. But are you really going to be forcing the resignation of your own Minister, Don Harwin, and nailing a $1000 fine to his head, just for going to his own holiday home on the Central Coast – you negligent bastard, how dare you!? – while saying that from late next week the leaguies are good to start training? We know rugby league has sway in this town, but does it have that much sway?
That would be like saying proper resources for community and kids sport can get nicked, while we put billions of dollars to stadiums for rugby league and . . .
And, oh, wait!
Gladys, it is a nonsense, and you must know it. If you give the green light to league, you must give the green light to us all. If that is the case, can we all be told, too?
At the very least you, and the NRL, have to make a compelling case for rugby league exceptionalism. Right now, it ain’t obvious.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/why-it-s-high-time-gladys-put-the-nrl-in-its-place-20200424-p54n1f.html

Peter V’landys. His psychological grip on the denizens of rugby league seems to have strengthened in recent weeks. Odd that a bloke unknown to the broad mass of the league community – at least as a football figure – until a couple of years ago should now be the one laying down the law and cracking the whip even to people who’ve been in the game for 40 years!

I have never in all my born days ,seen or heard a journalist seize every opportunity to continue for decades to publicly berate a code he hates with such intensity ,as to make Kim Jon Un seem friendly.

The guy is either seriously sick or is need of a good holiday in a quiet secluded island. Or dare I suggest ,still suffering from the monster whack over the chinny chin chin ,by that French union forward many years ago.

It says little about the media outlets, who give him so much time and space over so many decades to continue his bile.

Incorrect

Coach
Think I've mentioned this before, probably in the early days of this thread, but this f**k stick just rehashes the same agenda driven, politically correct nonsense week in week out when he has his knickers in a twist about something. It gets to the point where its hard to know if you're reading a new article or if it's one you read 2 or 3 weeks before.

I just imagine his conversations every week with his editor at the Herald

Editor - "Righto Pete, what have you got in mind for your article this week?"

Fitzsimons - "I've got a couple of things. First one is a shout out to a country rugby union club in the middle of bumf**k who are raising money for social justice warriors. Its a great cause, and I thought I'd end the article by saying, 'And that friends, is rugby'... What do you think boss?"

Editor -"No one gives a f**k about rugby. Got anything else?"

Fitzsimons - "Ummm, maybe I could bang on again about how much I hate rugby league under the guise of criticising their plans to restart the competition?"

Editor - "Well if it's about league, people will probably read it, let's go with that. Just copy and paste last week's item. Thanks hanky head"

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/h...s/news-story/b9edcf1bb176326f51dc4740fde252e2

The Daily Telegraph’s Paul Kent has delivered a stunning take-down of Sydney Morning Herald columnist Peter FitzSimons, saying: “he’s never backed a winning cause.”

The former Wallaby penned a column saying that NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian needed to “put rugby league in its place”.
FitzSimons went on to ask: “If it is good enough for them, why is it not good enough for the rest of us?” while referring to the NRL’s attempt to seek a restart on May 28, before adding: “Personally, this seems to me to be absolute madness, Premier.
“If you are going to open things up, so be it. But giving the green light to rugby league while the rest of us will have been stuck on red at the traffic lights for the past two months seems to be taking an insane and unnecessary risk.”
But Kent argued that rugby league gave large sections of society to keep on working.
By letting the season restart on May 28, the NRL would be helping ensure a big chunk of the community, he argued.
“Peter hasn't backed a winning horse in any of his causes, he’s still chairman of the republican party,” Kent said.
“Peter and I are friends, but I don’t support his stance on this.
“If you’re going to try and get behind a cause, you’ve got to give yourself a chance of winning. He just couldn’t back a winner.
“Poor old Peter, he campaigned to stop the barrier draw being on the opera house, and three days later it was on the Opera House.
“The fact he’s come out and said this, is probably a good thing for rugby league.
It’s not self interest, it’s not just an industry, it’s not rich millionaire footballers wanting their money.
“It’s an industry, and ironically enough the same as Peter FitzSimons writing his column is considered a necessary industry. He’s earning his money.
NRL: With this year's ANZAC Day Round unfortunately falling victim to COVID-19, we take a quick look back at some of the action from last year.
I don’t get the argument, Peter FitzSimons has been banging on with the same argument when the infection was 23 per cent, now it's a half a per cent, he's still banging on. Things have changed.
“The players will have a dirty zone, they will be tested three times a day, I can’t see why they want rugby league to stop playing. The Bundesliga is hoping to resume May 9, La Liga the same.”