What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Five Best NRL/ARL coaches of the past 50 years

ek999

First Grade
Lol at Bellamy, Robinson and Reilly (who only coached in Australia for 3 years). I can name quite a few who have achieved more success then they have off the top of my head.

Chris Anderson, Steve Folkes, Des Hasler, Tim Sheens, Phil Gould, Warren Ryan, Bob Fulton. And that's only going back to the 80's

POPEYE

Coach
Lol at Bellamy, Robinson and Reilly (who only coached in Australia for 3 years). I can name quite a few who have achieved more success then they have off the top of my head.

Chris Anderson, Steve Folkes, Des Hasler, Tim Sheens, Phil Gould, Warren Ryan, Bob Fulton. And that's only going back to the 80's

In this week of Mt Panorama mania I'd say you were motoring along nicely, lost control and hit a tree . . . Bob Fulton, a man taking a 12 guage to a f**king knife fight

Smirrors

Juniors
Trent Robinson wont be regarded as the best as he was basically handed victory this season due to what the club has done in the past few years. All the juniors came before his arrival and the purchasing of 3 representative grade players in the preseason is what helped him win as a rookie coach (think what Stuart did when he came to the Roosters and won a GF).

I hate to say it but if you are looking for a modern case of coaching greatness then you have to look at Des Hasler and Geoff Toovey as his assistant and eventually head coach as a good example. The sea eagles through good coaching and astute purchasing have been on the rise since 2005. They've maintained it for 8 years straight which everyone knows in the modern came is a tough ask. I believe a good part of that is to do with good coaching.

Robbo can be listed with the greats if he can keep the Roosters at the top of the game for a good 3-4 years.

ek999

First Grade
In this week of Mt Panorama mania I'd say you were motoring along nicely, lost control and hit a tree . . . Bob Fulton, a man taking a 12 guage to a f**king knife fight

I'm talking in terms of success. 2 premierships is one premiership more than what Bellamy, Reilly and Robinson have won Pops.

You live in Bathurst don't you? Are you one of the ones who get out of town for the week?

POPEYE

Coach
I'm talking in terms of success. 2 premierships is one premiership more than what Bellamy, Reilly and Robinson have won Pops.

You live in Bathurst don't you? Are you one of the ones who get out of town for the week?

You and I operate on different levels ol' mate, I prefer to analyse the polish whereas you just look at the shine.
Nothing wrong with that if you're a beginner but I like the deep end

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Most members of this forum could of coached those Canberra sides

The same could be said about Bennett's Broncos teams.

Sure we had guys like Meninga, Belcher and Walters. But players like Daley, Clyde, Mullins, Stuart, Lazuras, Croker, Nagas, Wiki and Furner were all developed under Sheen's coaching.

He might be past it now but he was an excellent coach.

typicalfan

Coach
The strong roster argument is often brought up in here but is among the worst there is. Player development is part of a coaches role.

After reading all the comments I have revised my list.

Here is the table and reasons:

1. Jack Gibson. Won 5 premierships at 2 different clubs Eastern Suburbs (1974-75) and Parramatta (1981-83). Also took Eastern Suburbs from last to the semi-finals in 1967, with virtually no change in the team squad, repeating the finish in 1968. He emphasised the importance of defence. Most important he was a great innovator, studying the coachng techniques of other sports, esp American football, and introducing computer and video analysis into the game.

2, Wayne Bennett. Won 6 premierships at two different clubs, Brisbane, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2006 and St George 2010. Great personal mentor and father figure to players, most notably Darren Lockyer.

3. Tim Sheens. Won 4 premierships at two different clubs: Canberra Raiders 1989, 1990, 1994, and Wests Tigers 2005. Although his luster diminshed in recent years at Wests Tigers, he has still had the skills and respecct of the administrators of the game to be appointed coach of Australia until the present.

4. Phil Gould. Two Grand Final wins with Canterbury (1988) and Penrith (1991), plus he has won State of Origin series twice, and drawn a third, making him the most successful NSW State of Origin coach so far.

5. Craig Bellamy. Has assembled three of the best players in the game to make up the most imposing spine of a rugby league team for the past decade. Has taken Melbourne Storm to the playoffs every year of his tenure as coach, except for the year 2010 when they were not allowed to win any points because of salary cap breaches, and won three Grand Finals, with two being stripped because of salary cap breaches for which he was not held responsible. One of his most important qualities has been his ability to improve young players to the point where they have become stars in their own right (e.g. Jesse Bromwich, Gareth Widdop, Sisa Waqa).

Special Mention:

Warren Ryan. Two Grand Final wins with Canterbury. One of the smartest analysts of the game.

Ricky Stuart. Won an Grand Final in his first year with Sydney Roosters and took them to Grand Finals again but losing in 2003 and 2004. Also coach of NSW for a series victory in 2005, and losses in 2011 and 2012. Coached Australia to a Tri Nations win plus several Test victories.

Trent Robinson. Won a Grand Final in his first year with Sydney Roosters, after a successful two years with Catalans Dragons in France, lifting them from bottom of the table to 6th. Coach of the year in Super League 2011 and the NRL 2013

Michael Hagan. Won a Grand Final in his first year with Newcastle in 2001.

Malcolm Reilly. Grand Final win with Newcastle 1997, plus coach of Great Britain defeated Australia at Wembley in 1990.

Last edited:

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
After reading all the comments I have revised my list.

Here is the table and reasons:

1. Jack Gibson. Won 5 premierships at 2 different clubs Eastern Suburbs (1974-75) and Parramatta (1981-83). Also took Eastern Suburbs from last to the semi-finals in 1967, with virtually no change in the team squad, repeating the finish in 1968. He emphasised the importance of defence. Most important he was a great innovator, studying the coachng techniques of other sports, esp American football, and introducing computer and video analysis into the game.

2, Wayne Bennett. Won 6 premierships at two different clubs, Brisbane, 1992, 1993, 1998, 2000, 2006 and St George 2010. Great personal mentor and father figure to players, most notably Darren Lockyer.

3. Tim Sheens. Won 4 premierships at two different clubs: Canberra Raiders 1989, 1990, 1994, and Wests Tigers 2005. Although his luster diminshed in recent years at Wests Tigers, he has still had the skills and respecct of the administrators of the game to be appointed coach of Australia until the present.

4. Phil Gould. Two Grand Final wins with Canterbury (1988) and Penrith (1991), plus he has won State of Origin series twice, and drawn a third, making him the most successful NSW State of Origin coach so far.

5. Craig Bellamy. Has assembled three of the best players in the game to make up the most imposing spine of a rugby league team for the past decade. Has taken Melbourne Storm to the playoffs every year of his tenure as coach, except for the year 2010 when they were not allowed to win any points because of salary cap breaches, and won three Grand Finals, with two being stripped because of salary cap breaches for which he was not held responsible. One of his most important qualities has been his ability to improve young players to the point where they have become stars in their own right (e.g. Jesse Bromwich, Gareth Widdop, Sisa Waqa).

Special Mention:

Warren Ryan. Two Grand Final wins with Canterbury. One of the smartest analysts of the game.

Ricky Stuart. Won an Grand Final in his first year with Sydney Roosters and took them to Grand Finals again but losing in 2003 and 2004. Also coach of NSW for a series victory in 2005, and losses in 2011 and 2012. Coached Australia to a Tri Nations win plus several Test victories.

Trent Robinson. Won a Grand Final in his first year with Sydney Roosters, after a successful two years with Catalans Dragons in France, lifting them from bottom of the table to 6th. Coach of the year in Super League 2011 and the NRL 2013

Michael Hagan. Won a Grand Final in his first year with Newcastle in 2001.

Malcolm Reilly. Grand Final win with Newcastle 1997, plus coach of Great Britain defeated Australia at Wembley in 1990.

You're deadset kidding if you don't have Des Hasler above any of the others in your Special Mentions.

Took an absolute rabble of a club in Manly to 3 GFs for 2 wins, took the Dogs to a GF in his 1st season, has missed the finals once in his entire career - the 1st season. Also has 1 more premiership than Bellamy.

Knight Vision

First Grade
1. Jack Gibson
2. Wayne Bennett
3. Craig Bellamy
4. Malcolm Reilly
5. Trent Robinson

Why is Bellamy there ? He's won one grand final ....
Cant comment on 50 yrs as I'm not that old. But from the ones I've seen are,
1 Bennett
2 Jack Gibson
3 Warren Ryan
4 Des Hasler
5 Malcom Reilly

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member

It was a chequebook actually.

Sort of like Bellamy, 1970s style....

Latest posts