What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

qld redvee

Juniors
I love how Ben says they want us to play to our strengths lol.
Isn't that a given?
So it's taken until Shane & his sidekick to come on board to actually work this out.
L plate is sillier than i thought & our inept board/CEO's have let this go on for the last 6 years. FMD.
Blacks,
I mentioned on the forum long ago that good coaches had game plans that suited the players abilities snd this is where supercoach came up short.. So refreshing to hear that shep and flanno have shown mary up so quick in such a basic.. shows how 1 dimensional supercoach and power play is....
We may finally have frizz playing SOO quality and running out wide into holes wouldnt that be a sight to see..Now as long as flanno can limit graham to say 2 x 20 minute stints so the poor buggers not running on fumes ..... Must be lonely at the top for mary to read such stories

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Blacks,
I mentioned on the forum long ago that good coaches had game plans that suited the players abilities snd this is where supercoach came up short.. So refreshing to hear that shep and flanno have shown mary up so quick in such a basic.. shows how 1 dimensional supercoach and power play is....
We may finally have frizz playing SOO quality and running out wide into holes wouldnt that be a sight to see..Now as long as flanno can limit graham to say 2 x 20 minute stints so the poor buggers not running on fumes ..... Must be lonely at the top for mary to read such stories
surely with MARYS power game most of the forwards were running on fumes after Anzac day. Our grand final .

BLM01

First Grade
surely with MARYS power game most of the forwards were running on fumes after Anzac day. Our grand final .
:100: OD. Our season to a T. Mary's mad Monday post Anzac and job is done. Repeat and rinse game plan as it should work again someday... then scratches his skull wondering why teams have changed and adapted to ours and why suddenly we are gettiing outplayed and then the frustration flows through the squad for the year. Then we search for the book of excuses instead of a play book

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Flanagan to exit as Dragons shake-up begins under Griffin
Adam Pengilly
September 11, 2020 — 2.15pm
Leave a comment

St George Illawarra's coaching cleanse has started, with premiership-winning boss Shane Flanagan told he will not be required when Anthony Griffin takes over next year.

Flanagan, who pressed the club for a decision on whether they would take up a one-year option in their favour for 2021, will be on the lookout for a new employer, and fellow assistant James Shepherd was also let go by the Red V.

Dane Gagai and Luke Brooks are facing a two-match ban after being charged with striking #NRL

Interim coach Dean Young admitted on Friday he wasn't sure if he will stay with the Dragons to work under Griffin, who was earlier this week named as Paul McGregor's permanent successor.

Griffin beat Young and Knights assistant David Furner to the role.

da235ab2f66a98e7664bf76f5c2bfac37931f6a8

Shane Flanagan will leave the Dragons.

Flanagan was willing to stay in Wollongong to work alongside Young if he was given the nod for the top job. The board's decision to go with Griffin also has Young mulling his future despite the pair having worked together as assistants with Tonga last year.

"I was a little bit disappointed I missed out because I thought I interviewed well and gave it my best shot, but I can understand the club’s decision going with more experience," Young said.

"Anthony Griffin has been at two big clubs before and he has a winning percentage of around 55 per cent. I can fully understand the club’s decision to go that way."

St George Illawarra's high-performance manager Nathan Pickworth will also leave the club next year as Griffin starts to assemble his support staff.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fl...-up-begins-under-griffin-20200911-p55url.html

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Let the cleansing and restructuring begin post haste. New coaching team, new support staff, new players (where essential), kick-out all of the deadwood who have been hanging on and getting paid for zero return.

Interesting times ahead.
I’m pretty happy to see Pickers go to be honest. I feel there are better options.

The purge commences!

If you were a ball boy selected by Mary or anyone connected with him, at age 10 or whatever, your career is finished.

Gear stewards, strappers, water bottle taster, orange peeler, squad parking attendant, white board master and shower disinfector, looking to be there at the grand final with the squad, your dream will never be met.

Having said that, working for Mary was never a job with a high retention rate. While the board were barking on about loyalty recently, the rivers of blood flowed freely from the taj after every catastrophic Mary season. So in one sense, it’s business as usual.

Guilt by association is the new order from above. A parade of sad and glum faces getting the golden handshake from Webby. 4 weeks pay, a reference and a pat on the back.

Cruel but necessary in some cases.

But I really hope the good staff are spared.

I’ve just been informed by my peers that Flanno is gone. Good move or bad move Dragons supporters?

Welcome to dragons lu.

Well the main thing is that Marys gone, then their fans are generally happy with the broom with his assistants.

Theres a residual underlying concern about some of the squad and with experienced players leaving. A marquee or two would do a lot for the side.

Some people are wondering if Griffin could be a bit more measured politically, but are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

People are giving some credit to the new ceo and he seems to have affected some change.

For 2021, the expectation is at least approaching finals, certainly well clear of the bottom.

Some of the lads here are looking at low finals 2022 with a top 4 finish on/by 2024.

Everyone here wants better, the club is on the up, but there is a lot to be done.

Hook was easily the best in the coaches market.

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
The purge commences!

If you were a ball boy selected by Mary or anyone connected with him, at age 10 or whatever, your career is finished.

Gear stewards, strappers, water bottle taster, orange peeler, squad parking attendant, white board master and shower disinfector, looking to be there at the grand final with the squad, your dream will never be met.

Having said that, working for Mary was never a job with a high retention rate. While the board were barking on about loyalty recently, the rivers of blood flowed freely from the taj after every catastrophic Mary season. So in one sense, it’s business as usual.

Guilt by association is the new order from above. A parade of sad and glum faces getting the golden handshake from Webby. 4 weeks pay, a reference and a pat on the back.

Cruel but necessary in some cases.

But I really hope the good staff are spared.
Just wished the purge was 1-2 years sooner

yes underperforming staff need to be shown the door

clearly many were not up to the job , but this also includes BJ and the BOD

webby does look a lot better IMO, time will tell

good to see Phantom that Deano might come over to you guys And help out your defence, or if that doesn’t work out your attack , or was it forwards and if that doesn’t work out Well maybe knock Madge off as head coach , cause I hear he has real potential and is a lovely bloke

Just wished the purge was 1-2 years sooner

yes underperforming staff need to be shown the door

clearly many were not up to the job , but this also includes BJ and the BOD

webby does look a lot better IMO, time will tell

good to see Phantom that Deano might come over to you guys And help out your defence, or if that doesn’t work out your attack , or was it forwards and if that doesn’t work out Well maybe knock Madge off as head coach , cause I hear he has real potential and is a lovely bloke

We need a million coaches to work out our issues.

Deano would be welcome on the proviso that when he opens his heavy chest of game plan notes, Mary doesn’t spring out of it and start spoiling our 1970s shagpile with his grubby footprints.

And ffs, alberts not to drive him over, because once he gets in the gate, we won’t be able to get rid of the big fella.

Cheers.

Hook is on his way over to prove the f**king point to Gus and co. He’s not happy. On your toes, look alive!!

Latest posts